Thread: Explain torque management to me please!!!

Advanced Tuner

Explain torque management to me please!!!

ok i have been hearing this a lot and even know how to turn it off somewhat.(tuner on order) when this is disabled through the pcm does this make the car faster (1/4 mile wise) if you would have no traction issues(lets say running slicks)?? my understanding of TM is it is basicly used to reduce stress on the transmission and when turned off it seems as though the car would be faster correct? the car is a stock supercharged gtp. just wanted to clairify.........

When the traction control is on, torque management is reducing the engine power by retarding timing & cutting fuel and also retarding spark timing to reduce the engine torque during upshifts & downshifts.

On the GTP's, I set the Traction Control System TCS Method > Max Torque to 400 ft lbs. This makes the traction control less intrusive. When the TC is off and at medium to WOT, the trans upshift torque reduction retards the spark timing during the up & down shifts. So by setting up the shift pressure tables correctly to eliminate any WOT slippage, you could disable all of the upshift & downshift torque reduction tables. This will make for a quicker & faster car, but the trans life can/will be reduced.

I reduce the upshift/downshift torque reduction tables by 50%, these tables are independent of the TC mode. This still is a noticeable improvement over stock, and the trans will last longer.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 02-29-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ok thanks for the info....like i said im new to this so help me on a cupple things....can u walk me through on where to go in hp tuners to reduce tm?? transmission.......torque management....then what?

and when you said ....On the GTP's, I set the Traction Control System TCS Method > Max Torque to 400 ft lbs. what does the 400 ft lbs mean to the vcm??

and are there different settings when the tcs is on and off?performance shift on/off?? or when you change tm does it change it no matter if tcs or performance shift is on/off??

if i disable tm all together and drive normal(slowly/not getting on it)will disabling tm have any bad effect on the tranny(make it's lifespan shorter)??.if not then please tell me how to do so.i would like to have the power there when i want it that is why i ask.

and by reducing the torque reduction is that also increasing line preasure so firmer shifts are present? is that the best way to get firmer shifts?

I know this is not all you do all day so taking the time to do this is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TDCRacing
    and when you said ....On the GTP's, I set the Traction Control System TCS Method > Max Torque to 400 ft lbs. what does the 400 ft lbs mean to the vcm??
    Setting the Max torque simply allows more torque to be applied to the tires before TCS cuts the engine torque to prevent wheel spin.
    and are there different settings when the tcs is on and off?performance shift on/off?? or when you change tm does it change it no matter if tcs or performance shift is on/off??
    The TCS has no effect on the trans shift pressures or shift speeds. When the the performance shift button is pressed, the performance shift pressure & shift speed tables are used. There is also a performance shift upshift torque reduction table. Like I said before, the TCS has no effect on the trans shift firmness or upshift/downshift torque reduction.
    if i disable tm all together and drive normal(slowly/not getting on it)will disabling tm have any bad effect on the tranny(make it's lifespan shorter)??.if not then please tell me how to do so.i would like to have the power there when i want it that is why i ask.
    Like I said before, I reduce the upshift/downshift torque reduction by 50% for my customers. If you zero the upshift/downshift torque reduction tables, the trans life can/will be reduced. On a stock engine the life will be longer than a high HP modified engine.
    and by reducing the torque reduction is that also increasing line preasure so firmer shifts are present? is that the best way to get firmer shifts?
    Reducing the torque reduction has nothing to do with the line/shift pressure. Raising the shift pressure tables is how you firm up the shifts.
    Do a search on shift pressure under my name to find out more info.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    ok well i finially got my tuner in and did my first read on my stock bin.....when cutting the torque reduction tables in half where do i go in hpt? vcm editor....Then what.....

am i suppose to be in the transmission tab or the engine tab when doing the torque reduction?

i went to trans....torque management...torque reduction...and clicked on the torque reduction tab twards the bottom of the page and a box popped up that said ''trans abuse mode torque reduction vs. rpm'' and those tables are already zeroed out....so im pretty sure i went to the wrong place...

do i go under the engine tab...torque management....go to torque management...spark retard vs. t.r. reduction tab?

and when u do clarify the correct place how do i reduce the ''stock table'' in half? i know u put a number in the empty box and then hit equal or something...sorry for my lack of knoweldge after i have done this then i would do a write calibration only correct? and name that bin something appropriet and possibly even take a cupple notes on what was done for future reference. thanks again for all of your help

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    both, there is engine & transmission tq management, you'll find them under the engine-torque management & trans-torque management forms.

You might want to consider starting here www.hptuners.com/help or possibly considering this http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16606 as it sounds like the work at home book & cd might be just what you need.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    bill did a serch and could not really find anything on this....(im sure it's just me) when changing anything perminitly in the hpt editor(torque management ect...)....when you want to save and load the tune on the vcm what do you do? write entire? and also can you make notes on that file such as what was changed ect?? and just to clairify when you change anything and write it to the vcm that is an additional ''bin'' that you have just created correct?? tia

Tuner
    First save the new tune to your laptop, using a different file name. That way you can compare different tunes to see what you changed, or fall back to a previous tune easily.

Then do a write config, using the latest tune, to save your changes to the vcm.

There is a place to add notes to each bin (actually .hpt in the hptuners).
    Last edited by John_D.; 03-12-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Editor files are .hpt
    Scanner/log files are .hpl

Both have places for notes or comments

Just like John D said, do a write calibration every time you want to flash the car with new changes. Only do a write entire if you're instructed to do so by the software or by someone on here. It's usually not needed unless switching operating systems, but some cars are unable to use the Write Calibration feature and you have to do a write entire every time (takes a long time)

Good luck. Just read read reaaaad on these forums. Keep your head high, and take it in steps, you'll get the swing of it after a while.

Advanced Tuner
    hey if someone just sent me a close version of the dhp 1.0 bin file do i have to spend more credits to license it? the window popped up so that is why i asked....i can read it but just wasent sure if i could do a write calibration

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You'd need to license or have a license for any file your attempting to write to your pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    if i have the file similiar to the bins on a dhp pcm is there an easy way to convert all of the data over to my ''stock bin'' without actually writing the bin to my vcm? that way i do not have to use more credits or whatever.i was using the compare feature for the stock bin and this one but was just wondering if there was an easier way of getting the data to the stock bin without going through every little thing.its no big deal if i have to ,im sure it will help me learn it better

Tuner
    I was using the compare feature for the stock bin and this one but was just wondering if there was an easier way of getting the data to the stock bin without going through every little thing.
    Take a look at this thread, and the one it links to:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...py+differences