Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Tuning School learn @ home?

Cool What is the Tuning School learn @ home?

Over the last 2 years, we have been developing a product to meet the demand of many of our customers. The Tuning School was designed specifically for HP Tuners users as it was written specifically from the software. We wrote it this way because we felt our customers needed more than just the EFI theory. We know they need to be able to finish the class and go tune their car (or their customers) using the HP Tuners software.

I know many people have said you can just read the forums, and they are a great tool. However, we have many customers in need of specific direction. We made it very easy for the beginner to learn to tune and give our customers actual tuning support as well.

On my next post down, I am going to copy and paste what a GTO customer said about his copy, and there are several others with the same sentiments as well.

www.thetuningschool.com 727-264-8875

Written specifically for HP Tuners and your LS based vehicle.

Learn at home, or at one of our live seminars!

"GoatKart" Review of The Tuning School Learn @ home from http://www.ls1gto.com posted:

"Here you go folks, i was graced with an early copy of this by PM-Fl after much whining and moaning at bob. So after giving it a read front to back two times over now, i figured i would help you out by giving a review of the product. I know a lot of people are curious about it and are hesitant to spend the money with out knowing what they will get for the money, so here you go. The most honest break down version i can give you about it...

Let me start out by describing the book itself. Its a nicly bound with plastic/vinyl style outer cover consisting of a spiral binding (huge plus for using it in the car as you can fold it on it self and it will lay flat) it consists in my copy of 6 sections and is over 200 pages long.

I give the book a solid 10/10 for build quality. It was obviously well thought out, and will stand up to use for a good long time. The book also could very very easily be repaired if you did end up ripping a page out on accident, by just taking it to a kinko's or any place that can do spiral binds... another huge plus since many would keep this with them in the car,etc. while tuning.

The content, now be aware first off, that i have an early copy in hand, so bob is actually ADDING MORE content to the book than what even i have in hand. That having been said, the book is set up EXCELLENT. If your not interested in the actual content which i have written about bellow then i will just state another solid 10/10 points here.

When you first start reading the book it has an Introduction section which explains the basics of Fuel Injection, how to work with HPTuners for buying extra credits, when you NEED to use credits, and when you DO NOT so as to save you money. It covers the basics of reading and writing etc. with HPTuners, and does it in a very step by step so you dont screw it up sort of fashion.

This is where the book starts getting really interesting, the actual meat of the book. The book itself consists of three "setups" if you will. Meant to encompass every type of setup a beginner may run into. The basic bolt on setup, the Head/Cam setup, and finally the Super/Turbo Charged with supporting mods car. Fairly concise really.

The beginning of each chapter starts with a checklist style approach, giving you not only the adjustments you will want/need to do, but the CORRECT order to do them in. Including injector adjustments, TQ Mgmt, Fan adjustments, PE, Shifting Adjustments, TCC apply/release, Idle Air Adjustments(for h/c setups), and MUCH MUCH MORE! (not in that order of course)

Now here is the really great thing about it, after the checklist page if you had not just flipped to the quick reference pages while tuning the car, each table you need to adjust is broken down. they show you pictures of what the table looks like, and when there are various pictures of the table, he shows you as many examples as possible. After the pictures, comes the explination of what it does. Explained in Lay Mans terms, in a way that anyone could understand, he tells you what this table is meant to do.

After the what it does section is the How it works. The book takes you forward giving you examples of values, how the values interact with the table, and its effect on the car, example ranges etc. For even an experienced tuner this could prove very useful. It puts additional notes, for when these values could possibly prove untrue, like F/I vehicles vs N/A vehicles. etc.

All in all, i dont think there was a single time when i said "WHA i dont get it" after even the first read through i felt not only more confident about manipulating tables, but i felt like i knew what to do and when. Something i hadnt been able to even come close to by just using the hptuner forums.

The next section after the true meaty bits of the book, is the scanner section. What is the scanner section you may ask? Just that, it takes all of the more common, and many of the not so common scan types and breaks them down in much the same way as it did for the editor. It tells you what the data is telling you, how it finds it, what its relevance is etc. generally allowing you to more fully interpret what your car is actually doing. In my experience, it allowed me to really get some depth out of my scans. Rather than saying "ok thats my trim, thats my kr, who cares what the rest is telling me." instead i could look at MAF and MAP readings with understanding, see my dynamic air, and understand what it was telling me. Watch my timing and see what was causing issues. It really added serious depth to my understanding of the readings. especially when i tied it into the rest of the book.

The last section, is also the shortest. Its the conclusion/ contact us style section. What it does in essence is give you the "OK GREAT WHAT NOW" part. What i was unaware of when i originally ordered the tuning at home book, was the amount of help that was really being pushed behind this product. They give an email addy for sending your tunes in to get looked over by professional tuners if you cant figure it out, they will look at scan logs, and help you diagnose. They give you phone numbers for contacting them at directly for emergency situations of "no starts and various other cases"...

Now lastly, and in my opinion the real biggy, is the whats next section. From what i can read, PM-Fl is taking this further. The learning doesnt have to stop where your at, with the beginner section. They setup a tiered situation where you can advance yourself. Through proving your abilities you can much like a SCHOOL go to the next higher class. This next class is VERY reasonably priced. I have already started making my arrangements to get it as a matter of fact. The price vs knowledge made it WAY to good to be true.

Near as i can tell from what my experience is with this product, PM-FL and the tuning school isnt done until your done. You can take your experience with them as high as you want or just do the beginner class. You will in effect definatly get something for your dollar..

My over all rating of this product is 10/10. I would happily recommend to anyone beginner or experienced that it is worth the purchase. Not only for the quick reference, or the VERY VERY nice customer support, but also for the distance you can go with the product. PM-Fl and the tuning schools dedication to this product makes it light years ahead of anything else out there right now..

the last thing i will say, for those people who always toute that "everything you need to know is on the HPTuners forums." Well, until i read this book, i would have never understood how entirely WRONG you were.

The hptuner forums fall so seriously flat of actually educating someone on how their product works and should be used that its sad. Sure, you could get most of the basics out of the way. Sure you could "figure it out." However, all it would leave you with is a half assed tune compared to what someone who has been doing this for a good long while, and has serious experience can give you.

What this book does, is bridge the gap. It takes what very experienced tuners have been doing for awhile, what they have learned from tuning hundreds and thousands of cars, and gives it to you. I've said it once before, no amount of fiddling can make up for old fashioned experience when it comes to tuning a car. This book bridges that gap in a major way, and the program setup by PM-FL and the tuning school may actually get you well on your way to being right up in the same league when all is said and done.

Just to keep the air clear, i am not endorsed by either company, i payed full price for the product, and have no other affiliation with them. I actually order my parts usually from Maryland Speed. I Think this is as honest a review as you will get on it from a self proclaimed "ex-noob" tuner. As of this writing, i feel very confident in my abilities, and that i could go to a dyno, and make solid gains tuning. Matter of fact, i have taken my old tune done by one of the best in the business and improved on it. Made it more suiting to what i wanted after driving, and while my tune was amazing, i feel that now, its even better.

if anyone has questions about the product etc. feel free to post here or PM me, or email me. I will happily take the time to answer questions etc. as much as i can, or just tell you to ask bob if i can not.

dont hesitate people, if you wondered if you would "get anything out of it" or "if its geared for just noobs" its not, i think that anyone can gain SOMETHING from this. and at around 400 bucks... its still cheaper than a custom tune on average, and the ability to do your own tuning becomes priceless in my opinion."

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I think book/dvd will really hit the spot for many people looking for a walk through guide to tuning, we get asked for a start to finish tuning guide all the time so its nice to see someone stepping up to the plate to offer something.

Not only that but its also HP Tuners specific so it'll all be pertinent information & lingo that most will already be used to.

Great Job Bob!

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    It is a well presented system to learn by. I like the laminated quick guides. they should last longer than just plain paper.

The manual is 1st class all the way. I opened it up and just glanced at it and am duly impressed. If you can read and follow, it walks you thru it step by step.

Great! I'm glad you like it. We look forward to helping you on your tuning journey.

Thanks,
    Bob

Potential Tuner
    I am a new member and was lookin for a few tips and such...thanx for the help bob!

So the tuning at home class is 4$$ correct?

Correct, the learn @ Home course is $450 shipped. That includes all your support (phone/email/forum) and the 200 page color workbook, laminated tuning checksheets, etc... It's a nice box and help to boot.

Thanks!
    Bob

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kweef
    I am a new member and was lookin for a few tips and such...thanx for the help bob!
    Glad to help, thank you!

Bob

Tuner in Training
    In my opinion it's not for the advanced tuner (hence the name). But it really gives the new users (like myself) a solid platform to work from. I've read some tuning books that left me very confused. This book really makes it easy for the newbs to use. The DVD goes into more detail about some of the paramiters awsell. Good book for newbs, maybe a waist for the more advanced, but im sure that there is stuff in there that everyone could learn from.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Tuner in Training
    Just need to ask how specific to the LSx powered vehicles?

Right now, I have a L36 powered Impala, and in the future, I'm going with either an Avalanche or that G8 Sport Truck (whatever it will be called). When I do get money for it, likely this upcoming summer, I will probably get it (going to upgrade my interface first). But if it really isn't going to help me with what I'm going to be using it for, there really isn't a point. I'm not tuning multiple cars for a profit, only my own vehicles.

Also, with the future updating of HP's software, will this material be updated as well? For that price, I'd want to be able to utilize almost every aspect of this program that is available to me. I just can't justify spending $450, when a few months down the road, there are huge changes that I’m lost with. I guess what I'm asking is this more fluid in teaching rather than telling you if "x" is wrong, change it in "y" part of the software?

Tuner
    Finally. Great. Sending you a PM
    03 Mercedes ML55 AMG - Stock
    06 S2000
    06 GMC Sierra 3500 - Tuned
    09 GT-R - Stock
    09 Lexus LX570
    10 Camaro SS , Bolt Ons , Tuned

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Guys I've deleted a bunch of off topic posts here, If any of you feel offended im sorry but thats not what this thread is about.

Bob is offering a package that even I wished I had starting out with my Camaro, if you feel the price is too high, don't buy it and spend the next couple of months reading & learning and maybe 6 months on your tune before things start to make sense. Everything from our licensing to idle to part throttle to fan settings to wot fueling is covered in this book.

For those that are just starting out I think this will make for a great starting point & will get the ball rolling so to speak.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Correct, the learn @ Home course is $450 shipped. That includes all your support (phone/email/forum) and the 200 page color workbook, laminated tuning checksheets, etc... It's a nice box and help to boot.

Thanks!
    Bob

I will be ordering soon, very nicely priced too I see. I see it as Tuning Insurance, in a way. You can't really put a $$$ on this kind of info. I don't know how many times I've wished I could have picked up the phone or sent an Email to get out of a bind. It was usually something I overlooked in a Stickie somewhere, like pulling the fuse on all Aftermarket stereo cars/trucks before reading/writing. Instead I felt like a dumba$$ b/c his truck wouldn't start due to a corrupt file ie: stereo.
    Just my 2c but I like to try to keep up w/ the changing technology. Like the small diff. between SD say a 01 vs a 06 LS1 ect.

Glad to see someone filling one of the holes in the market.

chris

Tuner
    I want to order and sent a PM , got no response ???
    03 Mercedes ML55 AMG - Stock
    06 S2000
    06 GMC Sierra 3500 - Tuned
    09 GT-R - Stock
    09 Lexus LX570
    10 Camaro SS , Bolt Ons , Tuned

I don't see a PM, please resend.

thanks,
    Bob

Potential Tuner
    Just ordered the Home Course and already looking forward to it. How long does delivery usually take and is it USPS or UPS or ?

Thanks,
    Tom

It will ship either today or tomorrow, via USPS Priority mail. Thank you for your order, enjoy it!

Bob

Advanced Tuner
    Order sent!!! Thanks a million!!!

Lifting, lowering, bolt on performance for any vehicle. In house CNC services. Turn key Sand Rails, Quads, ATV, UTV. Wheels and Tires.
    Dynojet 424LC and 250IX Certified Tuning Center
    335 Kietzke Lane, Reno, NV. 89502
    P: 775.327.4400 - F: 775.327.4401 - Email: [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I just ordered mine.... Should see it any day now.