Thread: New Guy Needs Some Help

Potential Tuner

New Guy Needs Some Help

Hey guys I am new to the forum however I am not new to the market. I have been a Automotive Technician for six years now and would like to get into so performance automotive. I just purchased a 2005 GTO last year and had a tune done on it. Prior to that I had a 93 mustang GT with a 317 stroker and a big vortech ys trim. I tuned the stand myself with the help of a anderson ford pms. So I heard about HP tuners and really would like to wake up my goat. I have been searching all over for tuning basics, how too, etc. Maybe its me and I can not seem to be searching for the material that I want correctly? I have seen a couple of posts where guys were talking about a "Newbie Doc," Well if there is one I can't find it. I just ordered my hptuners software monday so I have yet to recieve it but I would like to learn about the new styles of tuning and how its done. From the bare minimal basics to advance, I would love to read and learn as much as I can before jumping into this head over heals. Thanks guys, Tony!

It will take a lot of time, I would just start looking through posts and stickies on here. There is a lot of information all over this board.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by TPSFASTASSZ
    Hey guys I am new to the forum however I am not new to the market. I have been a Automotive Technician for six years now and would like to get into so performance automotive. I just purchased a 2005 GTO last year and had a tune done on it. Prior to that I had a 93 mustang GT with a 317 stroker and a big vortech ys trim. I tuned the stand myself with the help of a anderson ford pms. So I heard about HP tuners and really would like to wake up my goat. I have been searching all over for tuning basics, how too, etc. Maybe its me and I can not seem to be searching for the material that I want correctly? I have seen a couple of posts where guys were talking about a "Newbie Doc," Well if there is one I can't find it. I just ordered my hptuners software monday so I have yet to recieve it but I would like to learn about the new styles of tuning and how its done. From the bare minimal basics to advance, I would love to read and learn as much as I can before jumping into this head over heals. Thanks guys, Tony!
    Do you have the A4 or M6?

Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to help (or at least point you in the right direction)
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Potential Tuner
    I have a M6, I am really just looking for the how too basics like how hptuners works ann how to tune. What is too much timing how to tune for boost etc. I am really then I guess looking for the theory info. Timing, fuel, when to add and when to subtract. I want to go into this as if I know nothing and learn it all over again. I would also like to learn how the tables work etc. I have lots of questions sorry. I have searched but found really nothing indept. Thanks guys.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you want an overall tuning how to all in one place you'll want to go to a class like the one Greg Banish offers http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7114 if you want to find pieces of the puzzle this section is the place to start...some of the gen 3 V8 applies to your goat...not all but some so the Gen 3 section is a good place to learn more about timing/fueling/etc but your going to find varying opinions anywhere you look though even from tunershop to tunershop.

Like flea says if you have a specific question or two we can help you, but a specific ok this is how you tune thread...not gonna happen since there are too many varying opinions on the topic. Redhardsupra however does have a neatly thoughtout blog with alot of technical information about everything from timing, idle, a/f, injectors, etc...so you might wanna check that out.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I completely understand this is not the place for asking how to tune. Thats not my question. My question was do you know where I can find information on tuning basics, and I gave examples of what I am looking for. I do know a lot about todays fuel injected cars and how they work thats not a problem. I would simply like to brush up on everything before I start playing with my car and others. I want to learn I am not asking for someone to tell me how to do it. I would simply like a good place to start reading some of the facts. I will check out Redhardsupras blog on tuning as well. I am just having trouble locating the basic how toos on this site. It seems like everybody is already way past my questions so I am sorry for my ignorants.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    ok here goes

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9627 config repository...great for when you first startup your scanner

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9700 gen 4 how to section which contains info on idle tuning, an injector spreadsheet and information about the different mods the pcm can enter.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37 the entire getting started section contains everything from pdf walk throughs of the editor & scanner, an acronym list as well as many threads started by people just like you so many of their questions have already been answered and many of which might answer some of yours in turn

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23 the entire gen 3 section...concentrate on the stickies there are dozens of them which tons of information.

Again all the information is there...some you may have to search for or ask a question & I can search for you pretty well...but make the effort, please hehe.

Thanks
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks a ton Bill, I did do a lot of searching I guess just not asking the correct search criteria. Also thanks for the information about Greg Banish. I must have asked the right question and you gave me the right guy. He is hold a training class right next door to my friends fathers shop on April 14-15 in Port Jeff NY. That is literally 10 mins from the shop that I work at. Hopefully there is still room for attendance because I really would like to go! Thank you so much for the info. Tony