Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Class

Training Class

How many guys here would be interested in attending an EFI training class?

I currently work as an OEM calibrator and teach classes for shop owners through one of the dyno manufacturers. I have a book on engine tuning coming out early next year that features the HP Tuners software (Thanks, Kieth!) among others that covers calibration on a wide variety of systems and cars. I will be opening up some local classes to the public, anyone interested?

Upcoming Classes:
    June 23-24 Lexington, KY
    August 11-12th Los Angeles, CA
    September 15-16th Cleveland, OH
    November 3-4th Las Vegas, NV (SEMA)
    December 4-5th Orlando, FL (PRI)

Senior Tuner
    What is the class structure and what topics will be discussed, and how indepth? I think that would peak more interests. Many of us already know the basics and/or more advanced tuning, so a class for us would have to be more in depth of tuning GM engines and how certain tables interact.

Sign me up if its in Southern Ca
    How many people would you need to start a training class?
    Last edited by dc96819; 07-26-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Cut and pasted from one of my other brief course descriptions:

The class will be open to just about anyone insterested in learning more about EFI operation. All that is required is the ability to use a calculator and the desire to learn. I have already been teaching this same class material to new shop owners in conjunction with Mustang Dynamometer. The class covers the basics of engine and EFI operation. Topics include:

Cylinder Pressure and Power
    Load Calculation
    EEC Inputs
    EEC Strategy
    EEC Outputs
    Choosing Target A/F Ratios
    Drivability
    WOT Tuning
    Correcting the EEC to Hit Target A/F
    Idle Control
    and more...

This will be a no BS class that puts it all out there for those interested in learning. The material is not watered down from the tuner version. Attendees will come away with a solid foundation to boost their tuning abilities. Initial classes will take place locally outside of Detroit, but may be expanded if the demand is there.

Granted, it may be a bit of review for many on here at first, but we start with the basics for a reason. The discussion on basic engine operation leads to cylinder pressure theory, which in turn leads to the fundamental "Why" of spark advance and fuel delivery for ANY engine. The concepts are the same whether you're tuning a Corvette, Honda, or street rod. I've had students that were already existing shop owners and "experienced" tuners come away saying they really learned a lot. As it says above, initial classes will be local to Detroit, but I may add dates in NV during the SEMA show or Orlando during PRI in December. It all depends upon demand.

Class sizes range from 8 to 20. Any less and it's just not feasible. Any more and it gets too crowded and impersonal. I like to keep class size reasonable so that everyone attending can feel like a participant instead of a viewer. Plus, it's kind of hard to huddle 30 people around a chassis dyno during the demos.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator
    Cut and pasted from one of my other brief course descriptions:

The class will be open to just about anyone insterested in learning more about EFI operation. All that is required is the ability to use a calculator and the desire to learn. I have already been teaching this same class material to new shop owners in conjunction with Mustang Dynamometer. The class covers the basics of engine and EFI operation. Topics include:

Cylinder Pressure and Power
    Load Calculation
    EEC Inputs
    EEC Strategy
    EEC Outputs
    Choosing Target A/F Ratios
    Drivability
    WOT Tuning
    Correcting the EEC to Hit Target A/F
    Idle Control
    and more...

This will be a no BS class that puts it all out there for those interested in learning. The material is not watered down from the tuner version. Attendees will come away with a solid foundation to boost their tuning abilities. Initial classes will take place locally outside of Detroit, but may be expanded if the demand is there.

Granted, it may be a bit of review for many on here at first, but we start with the basics for a reason. The discussion on basic engine operation leads to cylinder pressure theory, which in turn leads to the fundamental "Why" of spark advance and fuel delivery for ANY engine. The concepts are the same whether you're tuning a Corvette, Honda, or street rod. I've had students that were already existing shop owners and "experienced" tuners come away saying they really learned a lot. As it says above, initial classes will be local to Detroit, but I may add dates in NV during the SEMA show or Orlando during PRI in December. It all depends upon demand.

Class sizes range from 8 to 20. Any less and it's just not feasible. Any more and it gets too crowded and impersonal. I like to keep class size reasonable so that everyone attending can feel like a participant instead of a viewer. Plus, it's kind of hard to huddle 30 people around a chassis dyno during the demos.
    how long is teh class..total time/days/hrs per day
    I might be up in detroit for some stuff and would consider extending my stay for some classes...I fell I have a good grasp..but I could always stand to learn more
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    If the NV session happens, I may attend. Sounds like a solid course. And yes, if you could answer Scott's questions please.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    And yes, if you could answer Scott's questions please.
    werd, im not too far from detroit to make a trip
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

If I rememeber right that would be about a 10~11 hr haul for you foff...LOL...maybe a little longer once you count in for mountain crossing..LOL
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    600 miles or 8 hours according to yahoo although that time doesnt seem right unless im cruising there doing 80 all the way lol
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

The class is usually taught on a weekend. Total time is about 1.5 days. The saturday session is a full day that I try to break up with one of the dyno demos around lunch time, with more class session following until about 5pm. I try to leave time for after class. Sunday morning starts with a couple hours of class followed by an extended dyno session. It's usually all done by about 1pm, dpending on how many questions everyone has along the way. That way everyone has time to catch their flight or hit the road before too late.

I try to keep it reasonable as far as class time, because the material can tend to be a little dry. (There's not too much I can do to make some of the thermodynamics more interesting, but it's a necessary evil.) I do my best to give real world examples that apply to things the students will actually see (bigger cams, superchargers, different MAF's, etc...) The feedback so far has been pretty good, and I haven't had anyone fall asleep during the class yet.

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    600 miles or 8 hours according to yahoo although that time doesnt seem right unless im cruising there doing 80 all the way lol
    better double check..600 miles across that terain is about 10 hrs..
    unless you drive like a maniac...which I dont doubt.LOL

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...I&ie=UTF8&om=1

yahoo is good for directions..but bad on times....google maps is way more accurate when you need to know a timeframe
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    what kind of $$$ are you thinking?

Cost is $650/student at the normal rate. Early bird discount is $100 off, so $550 total if you register before August 11th. Price will include breakfasts, lunches, and all course material in a 3 ring binder for later review.

I really like the sound of this class. I have tuned with carbs since I was 8 years old, but this efi stuff is kinda boggling me. Even though I know what I need to do I never really get it right.

Too bad its not in a poor college kids budget...

I get plenty of attendees that have years and years of carb experience, but none with EFI. Those are the guys who surprisingly take pretty well to the class. If you can tune a carb, you can tune EFI. The reality is that you just have more control than you used to with only changing jets/floats/bleeds. Cost for the class is comparable to what one would pay to have one car professionally tuned and still way cheaper than ruining your first engine trying figure it out blindly. I've been a poor college student before and feel your pain. Hang in there, it's worth the struggle!

I must be a sicko but I think the thermodynamics would be *extremely* interesting.
    My background is electronics so I could use more mechanical info in my portfolio.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Very good point Greg, that is why I (believe) I adapted so fast and easily to tuning EFI ... I already understood how to tune carbs. The basics of tuning are still the same, just how you get there is the difference.

Thermodynamics is fun.

New tools are always fun! BTW: I started out with a Q-jet myself...
    Great carb but PITA to make changes to with all the linkage & bolts just to get to jets.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    Thermodynamics is fun.
    You mean applied thermodynamics as seen in engine tuning is fun. The real thermodynamics in an ME course is a royal PITA memorizing equations for isentropic and isenthalpic control volumes. Luckily, we get to deal with the fun part in this class instead.

Tuner in Training

Training Class

So did you ever set up a training class? I would like to attend. Also, would you be interested in setting up a school at say our location? I am in Mobile, AL. I am just getting started and am tired of getting input from computer geeks that now how the computer works but have no idea how the car works. I know how the car works, just working on the computer part.

Thanks,
    Allen
    http://www.totalperformancecenters.com