Thread: You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did?  Timing

You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did?  Timing

It advanced timing, but how did it do it? Did it raise both the low and high octane tables by the same value? I'm trying to figure this out cause I got some good gains using it and I can't duplicate them with HP tuners even though I have way more control now.

For example, messing around with high octane timing didn't do anything at all. Same ET and mph on all the runs. Do you guys think I need to raise the low octane table since it seems it was using it.

Re: You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did?  Ti

Also, you know how the spart curve looks, goes up alot, peaks in the middle and then slowly goes down, somewhat plateaus out at the end. Do you guys raise just the end part or raise the whole thing? Does the car want more spark advance as the RPM go up? In this case you'd want the curve to look like an uphill. Or what should the curve look like?

Tuner in Training

Re: You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did? Timing

Take a look at your "Airflow vs Output Frequency" table and compare the stock table to the MAFT one. I was told that altering this table from its stock values would affect timing.

Nick
    2001 Camaro SS M6, No SLP Options, K&N FIPK, SLPP Dual/Dual, Pro 5.0, HPTuners &&Dynojet #\'s (SAE Corrected): 334rwhp/356rwtq&&

Re: You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did? Timing

a MAFT "tricks" the PCM into thinking less air is entering the engine than actually is. This has two main effects:

1. It leans out the fuel for a short time, since the PCM thinks less air is entering it puts less fuel in. Your fuel trims will go way +ve an cancel this out to a large degree.

2. increases timing, since the timing table gets lower as arimass increases, you will be operating at lower g/cyl values in the spark table, which generally means more timing.

The right way to do this is to remove the MAF trickery, increase the spark table and lean out the PE table.
    I count sheep in hex...

Re: You guys know what exactly MAFT+ did?  Ti

Do I have to increase the low octane spark table to increase timing? I had many runs increasing the high octane spark table with no effect either way.

UPDATE: I'll verify this at the track, but increasing the low octane tables seemed to give me more power. I'll use the scanner later to see how it changes timing.