Thread: bin reader for cross year compatibility

Tuner

bin reader for cross year compatibility

Any possibility of creating a bin reading file, for cross year compatibility? So you can view the tables from a 1999 bin if you have a 2000 car/license, ect.

something that will just view, and allow you to copy tables

I understand the security reasoning behind not having a sharable multiyear bin editor. And im not asking for something for nothing.

but it would be great to help a collection of HPtuner bin files for starting points. With being such a new product, there is very few files available for viewing if you need the exact year/model

Thanks for your consideration.

Ryan.
    1998 Ws6 TA

Re: bin reader for cross year compatibility

This would be very useful as well as a LS1 Edit File viewer or the ability to open LS1 Edit files. I have looked at the internal structures of both file types and they are vastly different.

Tuner in Training

because ls1edit files are encrypted`

Tuner

ls1 edit files are encrypted, so thats not an option, not to mentiion, it could be some legality issues of they created a decoder for it.

however, that is why i am asking for the cross year compatibility viewer only, so you can view the more rare .bin files compared to the hundreds of available edit files from the past fewyears.

I luckily have friends with a couple other years, so i can get them to open the files, and send the tables to me through excel. But most others don't have that option.

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner in Training

Is there any plans to do anything like this??

Advanced Tuner

You dont understand how complex this would be. Supporting the Operating System on all the GM VCM's from 1996-2004 is in the range of 1000 or more. Every BIN file has to be opened by a HPT person and disassembled. Then where the tables and formulas are not the same, all that has to be mapped out. These guys at HPT dont have someone at GM selling them difinitions files to write this great software we use.

You need to read the 'hacking' section and understand what is accomplished today was done over a 2.5 - 3 year period. Every thread that comes up in the 'help" section that "cant read my OS ID" is yet another BIN that has to be disassembled and the CSUM and tables maped out so the VB code can be wrote.

Pulling the write function from the current Flash application, then pulling the Edit function from the Editor is just too much work most likely. It cannot support every BIN that exsists in a GM VCM. Somebody buys this "Cross Reader" and first thing that is going to happen is the OS ID is not supported and guess what, they cant get the BIN out of the VCM because theres not a write function.

The only reason I am writing this is I am trying to learn to read assembly code and one day in the future write my own little app. I predict I will be much older and grayer before that day comes.

Loyde

Tuner in Training

So basicly it would be best to share excel tables instead of bin files to compare tunes?
    like:
    Timing
    PE Vs. RPM
    VE
    IFR Etc....

we will support the ability to view multiple files/tables soon in the editor, however it will be limited to vehicles you have support for, not unlimited.

I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

This is kind of unfortunate for tune-sharing. The Excel
    route is pretty tedious for anything more than very
    specific table swapping and you need the person
    who sources the file, to do actual work on your behalf

Since the problem I guess lies with .bin file structure (?)
    differences, what about (say) some import / export
    utility that would facilitate data sharing - like to/from
    Excel, one "worksheet" per table? Something where
    we could "all be on the same page"?

Tuner

operating not supported

I downloaded the VCM and when I tryed to run the editor and I get a OPERATING SYSTEM NOT SUPPORTED 9352018 and after I did all this my dash on my car reads brake befor shift and it stays on and i have tryed all kinds of things to make it go away except for disconecting the battery. Got any help for me?

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by UDRAchamp
    I downloaded the VCM and when I tryed to run the editor and I get a OPERATING SYSTEM NOT SUPPORTED 9352018 and after I did all this my dash on my car reads brake befor shift and it stays on and i have tryed all kinds of things to make it go away except for disconecting the battery. Got any help for me?
    Start a new thread in the VCM Suite Help forum. It'll get answered by the right people faster.

For more information on this threads main topic (cross year bin readers) refer to
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!