Thread: AFR Calculating

Tuner in Training

AFR Calculating

OK, something isn't quite making sense when calculating AFR. I haven't gotten to the tuning of it yet, and probably won't until I get a wideband.....

But, if I'm reading things correctly, to calculate the AFR being used, I would divide the Stoich AFR (14.7) by the PE Table. The values in my table run from 1.148-1.336. That would give me AFR values from 11.0-12.8. To me, that seems to be running rich. Would running leaner react better? It would have to help the gas mileage. Of course, I didn't by an Avalanche for it's gas mileage - but I would like to increase it a some.....

My VE table is set, my LTFT's are running +2 to -4. So, what, if anything, should I do to adjust the AFR to get it in range? The MAF table is in progess of being tuned, and will hopefully be done this week.
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71
    5.3L 3.42 Gears CAI 3" Flowmaster
    6" Pro-Comp Lift 35x12.50x17

Advanced Tuner
    i have used my wideband to tune my VE to +1 - -2 and am currently working on my MAF table. I have only done one pass on my MAF table and it got considerably closer and looks like its going to be much easier to tune. My AFR is 12.7-13.1, I wont go lower than mid 12's, it just seems the truck pulls harder when its a hair leaner, 11.0 is way too rich for your setup.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Tuner in Training
    The values in the PE table are the stock values.....I haven't touched them.

But, I also know that touching an item I don't understand could hurt the motor, and I don't need that right now.

So, I'm thinking that there is something more to calculating the running AFR other than the Stoich/PE Table values.....It doesn't make sense that they would be set that rich.

Unless you are an oil executive and are trying to cash in on more profits.....
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71

Havalanche, aren't you FI?
    If not, then yes that would be on the rich side.
    I wouldn't really mess with PE until you get yourself a WB. Its just too hard to try and adjust it by the NB sensors. I know it can be done, but I wouldn't.
    There are other things that can throw off the final A/F ratio besides the numbers in the PE table. So even if it says you will have 12.8 A/F, you may end up being higher or lower depending on things.
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.

Tuner in Training
    No FI as of yet.....It is on my WANT list.....

Right now, I'm just trying to get the most out of what I've got.....
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71