Thread: Can't get KR!!!

Tuner in Training

Can't get KR!!!

I went to the drag strip today and tried to do some KR tuning. I kept increasing my spark advance mor and more and more and nothing ever happened. It got to the point where on the high and low octane table, I had 50 units of timing advance at WOT, and all I ever got on a couple passes I got one count in a couple cells. I refer to them as units because I was told that changes you make in the spark table are not in degrees of timing. I think that makes sense considering no one could run 50 degrees of spark advance at WOT. How many units do you have to add to add a degree of timing?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    would you mind posting a hpt & hpl file?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Here's a setup and scan where I only had 40 units of timing at WOT.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    well considering your just NA its possible to run more timing...how much is worthwhile to you I couldnt tell you...but I definitly would say do push 50* too many more times at wot.

Tuner in Training
    But is that table really adding timing in degrees? If I put in 40 at 4800/.52, is that 40 degrees of timing I added? If it is, how did I never get any knock? I"m only running pump 93 octane, it's not like race gas or anything, and the air was very dense, I just can't see how I didn't get 10 or 15 degrees of knock with that kind of timing. I'm starting to wonder if something in the scanner isn't reading right.

Tuner in Training
    I took another scan this afternoon. I noticed that something is changing the timing I put in, and the max timing the computer is allowing is 50 degrees, even though I have cells that go beyond that. At 800/.08, I have 45 degreess of timing, yet it will drop down to 24 degrees of timing as it idles. If I use the VCM controls to add 20 degrees of timing, it actually idles better and it shows I have 44 degrees of timing as opposed to 24. But if I keep that on, the max timing I will get is still 50 degrees. What is keep my timing from going above 50 degrees, and what is cutting it at idle?

Tuner in Training
    foff, do you have any idea what's going on here?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    can't say I do.