Thread: 6.2L VVT Tuning?

6.2L VVT Tuning?

Is there any additional power to be had by tweaking the VVT spark tables or other VVT related settings for the stock CAM? I only modify my high octane spark table, kinda intimidated since I don't fully understand VVT CAM operation. Just curious what other L99 and L92 tuners were finding?

I had a 2007 Sierra Denali the VVT spark tables are way different compared to what I have now..
    Last edited by markislive; 05-26-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    2010 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT 2wd 6.2L/6L80 w/3.42's
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Quote Originally Posted by markislive View Post
    Is there any additional power to be had by tweaking the VVT spark tables or other VVT related settings for the stock CAM? I only modify my high octane spark table, kinda intimidated since I don't fully understand VVT CAM operation. Just curious what other L99 and L92 tuners were finding?

I had a 2007 Sierra Denali the VVT spark tables are way different compared to what I have now..
    Stick with what you have now. That is one of the ways they upped the horsepower by 16.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    That is one of the ways they upped the horsepower by 16.
    Hmmm...My old 2007 6.2L and my new 2010 6.2 are rated the exact same from the factory 403hp/417tq...
    Last edited by markislive; 05-27-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    2010 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT 2wd 6.2L/6L80 w/3.42's
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Quote Originally Posted by markislive View Post
    Hmmm...My old 2007 6.2L and my new 2010 6.2 are rated the exact same from the factory 403hp/417tq...
    My bad. 07 yukon denali's were rated at 387hp.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Senior Tuner
    The best way is what I called a sweep test. We get the truck or engine hot, make a couple of pulls with +2 degrees across the board. It will hurt it in places and help it in others. That tells you where to add 2 and where to try the other way. Keep repeating until you exhausted your options. I've found 11-12 rwhp in auto camaros this way.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I am really interested in a good discussion on how to modify the vvt tables for better use. Looking at the tables and comparing my LY6 to the L92 and the L99's they are pretty similar. What I find strange is the huge bump in cam movement at low rpm only at low air flow. I understand that is for torque, and I can feel it in my LY6 but I wonder why it does not have a simlar profile for low rpm and greater airflow. I expect that most vehicles with the 6 speed auto would gear down before it became an issue so it may not even be noticable in a stock vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
    I am really interested in a good discussion on how to modify the vvt tables for better use. Looking at the tables and comparing my LY6 to the L92 and the L99's they are pretty similar. What I find strange is the huge bump in cam movement at low rpm only at low air flow. I understand that is for torque, and I can feel it in my LY6 but I wonder why it does not have a simlar profile for low rpm and greater airflow. I expect that most vehicles with the 6 speed auto would gear down before it became an issue so it may not even be noticable in a stock vehicle.
    agreed, now can someone give us some insight??????

09 GMC Sierra SLT 4dr 4wd 6.2l L9H CAI, HP TUNED by Me....

increase the advance of the cams and log the calculated torque produced via the engine if you don't have access to your own dyno...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah the bump is for torque alright, unfortunately it doesn't make it, it takes it away. The low rpm low airflow cam retard is for EGR and reducing pumping loss at 55-65 mph. That's how they can get the 20mpg rating. You can't possibly gain torque by reducing dynamic compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    The best way is what I called a sweep test. We get the truck or engine hot, make a couple of pulls with +2 degrees across the board. It will hurt it in places and help it in others. That tells you where to add 2 and where to try the other way. Keep repeating until you exhausted your options. I've found 11-12 rwhp in auto camaros this way.
    How about the ramp rates? ever tweak these?? or is that one of those..."dont touch that"?
    Last edited by coryfountain; 06-01-2010 at 01:49 AM.

09 GMC Sierra SLT 4dr 4wd 6.2l L9H CAI, HP TUNED by Me....