Thread: WB02 sensor q's

Tuner in Training

WB02 sensor q's

ok guys, wtf with this HPtuners program?

i've come to the conclusion that i need a WB 02 sensor. what's the deal with these things? do i pull one narrowband out and replace with the wideband? do i weld in another bung and use it? is this thing temporary on an efi car? do i only use the wideband a couple times plugged into the EIO harness?

i had to weld a bung into one of the chevelle collectors awhile back when i checked the tune on the dyno, but i've never used one on an EFI car, OR interfaced into a diagnostic harness. SHIT! the more i think about it the more confused i get.

i have a pretty square understanding of the hptuners program, but the integrated Wideband sensor seems a bit more obscure.

also, which WB should i buy? are there any ups and downs with these or is a wideband a wideband?

i've looked almost everywhere, and cannot find much more than matters of opinion, and scattered useful information. thanks in advance!

Tuner in Training

Re: WB02 sensor q's

Get a WB that is already configured in HPT. I have PLX.
    Most can output a signal if you want to substitute for a narrow band. However, I suggest welding an extra bung and leaving the stock narrows alone.

Termporary or permanent is up to you. I dont have another car that needs tuning yet, so it stays on the F-body for the time being.

If you're familliar with HPT, a WB is not difficult.

Good luck
    2000 M6 SS Convertible, FTRA, Lid, LS6 intake, LS6 S heads, TR220, RT cats, Magnaflow, paint chips on pass side door.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

i use the innovate motorsports LM-1 as it is proven to work well with hptuners, you really want to get a new bung welded in preferably before any cats...if you replace a stock front o2 with the w/b you'll end up going into open loop by accident and can screw up all your tuning unless you know what your doing. I installed mine in my gtp got my wot and part throttle tuning done and removed it because its a pita having it warm up everytime im about to start the car.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training

don't i just need the bosch 5-wire? if i'm plugging into hptuners, why do i need the specific controller box?

how does the sensor interface with hptuners?

Tuner in Training

You need the box to interpret the signal from the sensor into something the HPT can read.

kw

Tuner

can someone please explain exactly what is needed, exactly how to hook it up, and if there is a gauge of some sort that gets hooked up in the vehicle or if you have to be using hptuners for it to work. I REALLY want a wideband, but, i'm a little confused.

also, where exactly can i buy one?
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

Tuner in Training

You can buy a wideband at http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/. There are others out there, this is the one I have.

You also need to buy their aux output cable.

You'll need the enhanced I/O cable from HP Tuners.

The LM-1 comes with a bung to weld in ahead of your cat.

kw

Tuner

so, i need the $349 kit? which cable to i need? is it the analog output cable?
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

Tuner in Training

is it the analog output cable?

That's the one, should be $8.00.

Don't forget the EI/O from HPT if you want to tie it in to logger.

kw

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    ...if you replace a stock front o2 with the w/b you'll end up going into open loop by accident and can screw up all your tuning unless you know what your doing.

Hey Bill...can you really screw things up by temporarily removing the stock narrowband just to dial in WOT AFR? I was going to use VCM scanner to force into open loop prior to each run. I'm just trying to avoid having to weld in a bung for a wideband that will only be used a few times. Plus the dealership warranty repair can give me hell for modifying exhuast upstream of the cats if they wanted to.
    Last edited by markislive; 08-25-2007 at 02:33 PM.
    2010 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT 2wd 6.2L/6L80 w/3.42's
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..