Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How OPTIMUM SPARK Really Works

Advanced Tuner

How OPTIMUM SPARK Really Works

The so called infamous OP Spark is something a lot of people dread and are afraid of, and for good reason. More importantly, people have no idea how it operates, and how to control it. Attached is a picture that shows several different views. Don't pay much attention to the idle tables, as later down the road I will explain those, and for this demonstration I simply used stock settings for idle in these tables. You'll notice how the Spark Tables are setup, and how smooth they are. You'll then notice how the OP Spark Tables are setup, and how they are not smooth. Then you will notice that I subtracted the Spark Table from the OP Spark table and you will see how that setup is smooth. The idea is to have that portion smooth, then add the spark table too it and then leave it how it is. I repeat, have it smooth, add the Spark Table to it, and leave it. When the Spark Table is removed, those values left over is a torque type demand. There is multiple ways to set this table up, and it will depend on what you, or the customer wants from the tune. If you were to raise these values up too much, you could cause the car to go WOT without you touching the pedal much, which you could imagine, could cause a huge issue. This is the tables you would use to get the Electronic Throttle to match the Pedal demand. CodeNameBill touches on it some when he talks more race application, but these tables are huge when it comes to how you want the car to react to what you are doing with the pedal.

***CAUTION*** ***Air/Fuel Ratio*** PE starts at 60% throttle. This DOES NOT mean 60% pedal, and it DOES NOT mean 60% Electronic Throttle. It takes an average of the two. If the pedal is at 30% and the electronic throttle is at 90%, the car would enter the PE table at the 60% values. If the pedal is at 40% and the electronic throttle is at 100%, it would enter PE at 70% values. You can see how having a vehicle at WOT electronically (throttle blade is wide open) can be a huge issue if you are only commanding a lower PE value. You need to make sure that your PE Table is setup appropriately for your OP Spark Table.

There is actually a lot more smoothing that can happen to the Spark Table, but this is not my typical table. Again I use a wide variety of different tables for what is being expected of from the customer, or if I want my specific car to do something completely different.

I highly recommend trying different variations of the true OP Spark numbers (The OP Spark Table minus Spark Table). If you guys need any suggestions on what to try, just let me know and I'll see what I can do to give you some more things.

OP Spark.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Mike,

Thank you for this. I recently revisited my OS and have made some changes per your suggestions above. What a difference! Car is much happier and much smoother. I've even found that I can use less and less pedal input to maintain speed, while achieving much improved instant 'displayed' fuel mileage. Even on the HWY at 70-75MPH, I can see 38-40 instant fuel mileage readings whereas before, I was lucky to see 33-34 on the same exact stretch. Pretty gnarly!

My only gripe thus far is still fiddling with DFCO engine braking. Way back in the beginning when CDB and yourself were explaining the OS/MS, I stumbled on a way to achieve a noticeably more aggressive DFCO (-6* timing, noticeably louder and much quicker to engage) versus now where I'm seeing -1.5* max and it's much more mild. I've tried a mixture of DAL and OS changes (reducing dal/OS, drastic reductions in OS) with no improvement. Bleh.. I wished I could remember what I did!
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    max instant at cruise i had was 42mpg so your doing great keep going
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    max instant at cruise i had was 42mpg so your doing great keep going
    Appreciate it CSSOB! Cruising around town if I'm at or under 50, in 4th gear I can see 45-47 instant but doubt I'll see anything like that on the highway. Always fun to revisit things with different strategies.

Advanced Tuner
    OS Spark tables are honestly the heart and soul of tuning. A lot of things go with it, but if spark is done correctly, and OP Spark is done the way the owner wants, then you have a majority of a proper tune done. Those two groups of tables are honestly a major part that should be mastered! I honestly could not help with anything more, and honestly people should be able to figure things out. Honestly I'll still help more, but this should put people leaps and bounds ahead.

Advanced Tuner
    Adjusting this table is like adjusting the trigger pressure on a handgun. If you set this up to be very aggressive you will make the car ultra-touchy to the customer's foot input, which many drivers are not comfortable with. Smoothing out the variance from this table to the Spark tables is a good idea to make the car more predictable and less sporadic.

Advanced Tuner
    Smoothing out what variance? I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Smoothing it exactly how I said is the best way. That is because it is truly smoothed based off of the spark table with proper numbers. If you start smoothing it beyond that, you are actually going further from perfection.

Advanced Tuner
    Any input from either of you on DFCO? Am I on the right track with working DALs and OS or is it going to be more reliant upon OS and maybe even optimum torque?

Advanced Tuner
    DFCO is Deceleration Fuel CutOff. That is different then what you are talking about. Try messing with the Spark Tables and the Optimum Spark Tables.

For Spark Tables, certain values make the car feel like it is pulling an anchor. Other values make it feel like she rides smooth as a baby's butt. That anchor type feeling is one way to help deceleration.

For Optimum Spark, worry more about negative numbers, that way the priority is lower.

Keep in mind that deceleration is lower load. Do you want it to decelerate quick at every RPM or just when you put her in neutral? Mess with the areas that you are trying to get the desired outcome from. Make sure you smooth into the next cells appropriately, and make sure you smooth Optimum Spark how I said to smooth it.

Tuner
    I will have to pull out my tuning lap top. But I do remember that at the low load 15 and 20 starting at 1250 up I put 1's in and my DFCO felt stock. I of coarse had to change the main spark table in those areas to make up the difference.
    Last edited by powermizer; 02-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Potential Tuner
    **CAUTION*** ***Air/Fuel Ratio*** PE starts at 60% throttle. This DOES NOT mean 60% pedal, and it DOES NOT mean 60% Electronic Throttle. It takes an average of the two. If the pedal is at 30% and the electronic throttle is at 90%, the car would enter the PE table at the 60% values. If the pedal is at 40% and the electronic throttle is at 100%, it would enter PE at 70% values. You can see how having a vehicle at WOT electronically (throttle blade is wide open) can be a huge issue if you are only commanding a lower PE value. You need to make sure that your PE Table is setup appropriately for your OP Spark Table.

Mike, I think your point is something I have been trying to figure out. I noticed I get the highest MAF numbers when i hold partial pedal and accel to red line. These will be 1-3 lb/min higher than when 100% pedal. I suspected the cause was that fuel & spark key off of air load while lambda were factors of % torque. As i can't find a table that relates pedal to torque (must be a hidden table), is this what you think is happening? If so, would you suggest I flatten out my lambda tables versus % torque?

Advanced Tuner
    OP Spark is pedal to torque. It is a torque table that literally controls the electronic pedal, and this is how you get electronic to match what the physical pedal is doing. What you listed above is accurate. This is why the OP Spark tables are so important. You have to set them up for the individuals driving habits, along with other tables (such as PE) to go along with them. As for highest MAF numbers, I wouldn't base my info off of that. I have seen lower MAF numbers and faster times.

so your saying to subtract the MS table from the OS table then smooth then add the MS table back to it or am i reading this wrong?

Advanced Tuner
    Half correct.

Yes, subtract the main spark.

Yes, the op spark should be smooth.

No, you should not smooth what is already there. You should redesign it from scratch. There is multiple ways to do it. It just depends on what outcome you want from it.

issue is (it might be just the stock spark tables) when i subtract the main spark it dose not come out smooth at all

Advanced Tuner
    That's because the stock tune sucks

lol but even on the base tune you posted it wasnt 100% smooth so do you have to modify both tables then subtract them or am i not understanding something here?

Advanced Tuner
    How was mine not smooth? If you are referring to idle, I already said I didn't get a chance to tune that yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, wrong tune in reference. That is smooth if you actually pay attention to what it is doing. My idle comment was for my other post. Sorry.

Screenshot (68).png idk i might be confused not calling you out im just trying to learn this