Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Tuner in Training
    I tried this on a 12' ctsv. The initial batch needed reflashing is my understanding. When I recieved my guage it wouldn't read on hp while datalogging. With the reflashing it worked the first time. This guage was bought new also but obviously had been sitting in the warehouse for a while is my guess. Aem said it somehow got past there quality control when shipping.

Correct--all 0333's should come with the same firmware.. There were some early ones that had the wrong firmware on them due to a screw up at AEM, which is what caused the issue some had. Mine worked first try.. It was amazingly easy to setup.

I'm still liking mine. I didn't think much of it until I started seeing some quick lean spots right when going into PE.. I never saw them with my old PLX
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    didn't think much of it until I started seeing some quick lean spots right when going into PE.. I never saw them with my old PLX
    That pretty much lines up with the test that DSPORT did. They set up 3 widebands ( AEM, HALTECH , and INNOVATE ), with sensor bungs all welded next to each other, and then, logged the response to stabbing the throttle with the accel enrichment turned off. Then, they started metering in accel enrichment until each wideband ceased showing a pre-PE lean spike. I think that makes a better real-world test than the laboratory results. i.e. the differences actually mean something relevant to tuning; rather than Xms vs. Yms, etc.

The AEM "sees things" that the others miss. And, it's pretty much what you would expect, given the numbers from the laboratory tests.

Have they posted an article summarizing the testing they did? I wasn't able to find one just briefly searching for it

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I've been trying to get the 30-0333 configured. I'm stuck on setting up the Math for AFR Error. I'm using WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE) and Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE). Is this correct? It does not seem to be working for me. The WB variable is the only one I could find.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

You need to be using EQ error, not AFR error. That WB comes through as lambda.. And commanded EQ is also lambda.. So the AFR error math parameter won't work

"EQ Ratio Error" is the name specifically
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    It's the newest issue ( #170 ) so, they probably haven't posted anything online.

It was a decent enough test. I wish they could have tried a few more widebands. They only did the AEM 30-0310, HALTECH Platinum WB1, and Innovate LC-2.

It's a bit hard to make out. But the 30-0310 output instantly overlays the TPS sensor trace, until it hits the 1.22 lambda limit for the 0-5v output. The actual peak of the lean spot was probably around lambda 1.7

In the 2nd set, they metered in some accel enrichment. Which helped a bit. But, the LC-2 completely missed the event.

They do describe their their setup. They did have a note saying that the Innovate sensor was mounted closest to the engine. Followed by the Haltech, then AEM. Bus they were only about 2 inches apart, each.

20160710_180746.jpg

By the time they added enough accel enrichment that the AEM trace would look like the Haltech trace did in the 2nd set, the Haltech would likely miss the lean spot, entirely, just like the LC-2 did.

As expected, all of the widebands showed the same readings when the rpm & load were constant. The only differences happen on transient events.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You need to be using EQ error, not AFR error. That WB comes through as lambda.. And commanded EQ is also lambda.. So the AFR error math parameter won't work

"EQ Ratio Error" is the name specifically
    It's working.. I was using EQ Error. I must have fat fingered something earlier.

Win

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone put their car on a dyno just to double check and see how accurate this WB is?

dr.mike has in the lab and DSPORT did a test vs. several other WB's that confirmed it as well. They all read the same when the AFR is steady. Quick changes show up better on this unit vs. the others tested though, thus it's advantage.

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha good news

Advanced Tuner
    Need to figure out a better way to mount this bugger... I was trying to keep the gauge and incorporate a switch for direct batery connection. Then be able to just coil up and store the cables and put it on a shelf when not using it. Any other ideas for doing something simular?

AEM I.jpg

AEM II.jpg

I just coiled mine up and stuffed it into the glovebox

Advanced Tuner
    dr.mike has in the lab and DSPORT did a test vs. several other WB's that confirmed it as well. They all read the same when the AFR is steady. Quick changes show up better on this unit vs. the others tested though, thus it's advantage.
    Yep. For the most part, all of the popular widebands read nearly the same values, when tested with calibrated test gasses. And, real-work tests show that they are all about the same, when the AFR is constant for a while. The differences show up when conditions are changing.

This is, of course, assuming that ground offsets, etc. have been accounted for. And, some require a bit of filtering to get a good reading.

Speed Acadamy did their own test with the AEM, PLX and Innovate : http://speed.academy/aem-x-series-wideband-afr-controller-tested-fastest-responding-wideband-confirmed/

But, their setup tended to exaggerate the speed differences a bit. I'm pretty sure, in their test, the AEM sensor was closest to the engine, followed by the PLX, then the Innovate. Opposite order used in the DSPORT test.

Tuner in Training
    Will this work on a e38 2006 z06?

Yes. Will work on any C6

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Yes. Will work on any C6
    Thanks, fantastic. Been reading lots of your post thanks for all the help on here.

Tuner in Training
    I got the AEM 30-0333 and installed it in my 03 corvette. I tried to see if the scanner would pick it up, but no cigar. I also re-rolled the parameters and nothing. Could it be that the AEM gauge needs the latest software or is my car to old for it to work with it.

C5's aren't CAN vehicles, so it won't work.

You can add two wires to the connector at the gauge and then have a 0-5V out. I ran both the CAN and analog out side by side on mine and they were amazingly close. Almost identical actually.

So, I wouldn't hesitate to run it that way. I can give more detail/pics later.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock