Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCC not locking up, need help.

Tuner in Training

TCC not locking up, need help.

It started yesterday and never payed it any attention until today. Thought that it was because trans was cold and it was a short trip, but today I let the truck come up to temperature before driving off, and all day long the Torgue converter never went into lock up. Before it would go into lock up above 45MPH or there about. But now it does nothing.

What do I need to log to find out if it is the converter that has the problem? From what I have read, there are several things that can cause it to lock up, so give me some help here if you can. Is there a way to force it into lock up while driving using HP Tuners?

Thanks for any feedback at this point.

2002 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5.3 & Automatic. Shift kit with Corvette Servo, CAI, Comp camshaft, LS6 valve springs, Gibson headers & catback exh. TCI SF3000 Converter, MAFless with HP Tuners.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    cam specs please
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    212/218 .522/.529 114
    2002 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5.3 & Automatic. Shift kit with Corvette Servo, CAI, Comp camshaft, LS6 valve springs, Gibson headers & catback exh. TCI SF3000 Converter, MAFless with HP Tuners.

Make sure your not getting the P0300 mult misfire DTC codes. That will cause the TQ not to lockup.
    That code can be caused by an aftermarket cam or TQ I believe.
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.

Tuner in Training
    Will hook up laptop and give it a look. Thanks for responding.

Senior Tuner
    If the TCC acts "flaky" but does not blink / set the SES lamp
    it may be just persistent low level misfires bothering the
    lockup. If you log all 8 misfire-current cylinder values and
    see onesy-twosey every few frams, that can be enough.
    Look for any by-cylinder bias and that might point you to
    a problem component (plug, wire, coil, injector, connector).
    If it's all totally random, then maybe just have to bump up
    thresholds to ignore the lope (either nudge it up, or "kill
    'em all" if you just want to suppress the problem and lose
    the warning about any creeping misfire action coming on,
    later).

Tuner in Training
    Have had this cam in for sometime, not had any problems with setting codes, but will check and see if there is a misfire code. Check back in a few, will have a dtc reading soon.

Tuner in Training
    Checked the DTC's and the only ones there are the PO102 & PO103 because the MAF is disconnected, and it has been disconnected for a long time and it always had lock up before. When I have more time will check and see if coolant temp sensor is working properly, I am using a 160 degree thermostat, and the temp gauge on the dash reads correctly. Trans temp gauge reads that it is getting up to temp as well. Any more ideas would be helpfull.

Tuner
    You might want to check for what jimmyblue suggested, he usually has pretty good advice.

As he said, you may not be getting an SES light from misfires, but they might still be causing your problem. So set your scanner up for misfires on every cylinder and see if you find any misses.
    2016 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    I always listen to what Jimmy says, he is the bomb on stuff like this, just did not have time to set it all up before I had to go into work. Will try and log some time with it tomorrow. Now if I can just figure out how to set it up to read misfires per cylinder, lol. Thanks for the help.

Try this config
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    EC Tune - what do I need to use to open your file, it said that the program used to create it was unknown. Thanks anyways. Maybe I am just to dumb to figure it out.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpea
    EC Tune - what do I need to use to open your file, it said that the program used to create it was unknown. Thanks anyways. Maybe I am just to dumb to figure it out.
    Open the VCM Scanner, go to File, Open Config File, select EC Tune's Misfire.CFG file and hit Enter.

Tuner in Training
    Boy I must be a real dumb ass, I know, but I saved the file to my computer and did what you said to do 12SecSS. But it said that it is an incapatable config file number:72 when I tryed to open it. What the F am I doing wrong? Any imput would help, thanks.

Sorry for having to draw me a picture!

Tuner in Training
    Is there a way to force the TCC to engage while driving, that way I could eliminate the converter as the problem?

You should be able to lock it using the VCM controls in the scanner. Under the trans tab theres a TCC Solenoid button to turn it on.
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.

Tuner in Training
    Zick - Thanks for the info, will have to give it a try and see what happens. Take bets on wether the converter clutch fails folks?

Senior Tuner
    What I don't know is, whether misfires will override the
    bidirectional controls or not. But if you log the TCC Mode
    it will show you the PCM intention and you'll know whether
    it's locked or not. Though this PID shows as text and does
    not export clean, at least in the version I've been using
    (maybe fixed by now, I sent a bug report on that a ways
    back). Still you could look at the table view real time and
    see whether it's "Locked" or otherwise when this is going on.

Tuner in Training
    Took a drive today, with my wife driving the truck, and me working the laptop. Used the scanner to force the TCC solenoid to the on mode, and the Lock up never happened. Guess this means the converter will have to come out. Unless anyone has suggestions.

Senior Tuner
    If the converter doesn't lock using the VCM Control (from my experience), it usually means the either the TCC lock-up solenoid is bad or the Diaphram material is toast. Hopefully it is the solenoid, good luck.