Thread: Unable to connect error... (my problem solved!)

Unable to connect error... (my problem solved!)

Basically picked up a used version of hptuners. (the right one for my car)

I am using a USB-serial port adapter, its a Dynex one listed on the cable, and under device manager its listed as Prolific. Search shows this cable hasn't come up as problematic, even shows it works. It was a $30 cable so not total crap.

I have hooked up VCM and showing "unable to connect"

Its an older version (V1.4.5) and I cannot do the updates yet, already e-mailed support for changing the password so I can log in.

Lighter fuse is good.
    I plug it in, then put it in on position, open VCM scanner, and can't get crap.
    Same with VCM flash.

any tips/suggestions I might be overlooking?

(It was on com 5, but I moved it to Com 2)

Re: Unable to connect error... (already searched)

make sure the speed is set 115200 and other settings as per the help file. It's under Using VCM FLash -> Troubleshooting.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

I did that as well... sorry I didn't mention it.

I'll look over everything today and try it again.

thanks for the quick response.

Senior Tuner

See if that USB device has setup software for it.
    If so, set it to "IRQ mode" and not "bulk transfer".

Here is a link on how to test the USB device to make sure it is talking and the serial cable does not have a problem:

Ken

Re: Unable to connect error... (update 7/29/05)

Update 7/29/05

still not connecting...

My password was updated, so I upgraded from version 1.4.5, to 1.7.

My info when I do "get info" is...

VCM Editor: 1.7.0
    ERR:
    VCM Flash: 1.7.0
    ERR:
    VCM Scanner: 1.7.0
    ERR:
    VCM Suite Opt: 0 0 0 1
    VCM Suite ID: **********(check email from me)

GM Firebird/Camaro (V6) 2000

I am using it on a 2000 v6 camaro.

Also tried to connect the "scanner" to a 2000 Chevy Cavalier.

My port has power, verified with a test light on the port.

All the port settings are the same as the help file.

Are there any programs known to conflict with it as well? I closed down everything but you know how spyware/virus stuff can be hard to do. Shoudl I try and use it through safemode?

I am pretty sure that my USB device is working... but just to be safe, I dragged my desktop downstairs, and hooked it up via my serial port.

Do you guys know if their is a way to see if Anything esle is using my "com ports" When I check my settings on my main serial port(or adapter) I can see a few other com ports "in use" I just set the main serial port to that then it cleared "overrided it" Then reset it back to Com 1, rescanned to update my hardware. Then when I checked the hardware profile of my serial port, and looked to change my com port, none of them said "in use"

So as far as I know I am only using the one com port and I have it set at Com1 for hp tuners.

When I go to connect cable it checks Com 1 then goes idle. And cannot find cable.

Any other things I can do?

I have a friend with hp tuners... coudl I borrow his cable just to try and scan with my program? Not read and right, just see if it connects.

Or would I have to install his program to try his cable(figure this would fix question of if their was a computer problem or a cable problem)

You could definately try your friends cable. If it connects, you would get the error "Invalid cable ID".

If that is the case, try using his serial cable but your interface and obd2 cable. Perhaps your serial cable is faulty.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

If I can't get to his in time I'll snag a serial port form work and try that.

Advanced Tuner

Hey, your name sounds familiar...

I still have some intermittent problems with my cable and/or EIO interface. Mine doesn't seem to like remaining in the car and/or working well in the heat.

If you're who I think you are, e-mail me and we can do some testing this weekend.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Quote Originally Posted by JimMueller
    Hey, your name sounds familiar...

I still have some intermittent problems with my cable and/or EIO interface. Mine doesn't seem to like remaining in the car and/or working well in the heat.

If you're who I think you are, e-mail me and we can do some testing this weekend.
    yeah jim it is me, My car will look similar too...

as for this weekend can't do it, not sure if you know but I got some bad health problems at the moment and this weekend is gonna be pretty bad for me.

Might take you up on the offer some other time

Re: Unable to connect error... (update 8/4/05)

update

I met up with my friend drew at a small car meet we have on wed nights.

we swapped cables and such, and we believe we narrowed it down to my serial port cable as being the problem.

I picked up a 2nd "questionable" serial port cable at my work on the way home, I was enable to intermittantly connect, but any connection is better the the no connnection I was getting before.

I'll stop by my work tomorrow with my "work" keys so I can snag a nearly new serial port cable and see how it works out.

hopefully this will solve my problems.

PS

Also woudl like to thank the HPtuners crew for being very fast and courtious with dealing with them, if their customer service stays this top notch they should stay in business and prosper a long long time.

Re: Unable to connect error... (update 8/4/05)

New cable in, all works well, not problems...

thanks for the help, if anyone has connection problems checkout your cables to make sure they are all good.

happy tuning

Re: Unable to connect error... (my problem solved!

PS, my usb to serial interface is a DYnex prolific interface, seems to be working fine, been able to log and download my *.bin with no problems.

Re: Unable to connect error... (my problem solved!

Thanks for the update!
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...