Thread: How do I start, what tools do I require?

How do I start, what tools do I require?

Hi. I've seen alot of RoboGeek's post's on JBO. I think the same, I was to MAKE most of the stuff, find the perfect cam degrees, lenght, blablabla, for MY driving style, I plan to build a 2.3/2.4 hybrid to get all of what GM's Quad 4 has to offer.

This will require also some ECU reprogramming some day. It interests me, I catch quickly in programming, and had started programming lessons in college, but dropped for the moment.

So if anyone can give me a headstart, how, what, courses I can take, programs, books? I want to do stuff like this!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

BTW I'm Roby! (AKA HELLFIRE on JBO )

Re: How do I start, what tools do I require?

read through the basics posts first.. that will give you a good basic understanding..
    Then d/l some of the .bin files and try locating tables in them. Once you can identify that then your halfway there. If you get stuck and arent sure what you should be looking for post and we will help you.
    I will tell you though.. the 2.4 is about as uncharted as any PCM out there.. But with help you can figure out whats doing what in there...

Do you have laptop? any OBDII cables yet?
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Hey Robo, what chip is in those PCM's?

PM me a few VIN's.. Perhaps I can dig some stuff up.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

the 95 2.3 I believe is the wierd dual 68HC11 variant. But not sure if thats true of the HO ECM. The 2.4 is a 332 but I have never been able to get any numbers or bin files from anybody.

heres what the 2.3 seems to use.. the distributer models used a 747.. that makes hacking easy!!

1227749 1227749 1228707 1228707 1228707 16156450 16173278 16183978 16183978 16191947
    16193700 16196285

I have no numbers for OBDII PCM's not even a guess

I can get a VIN tonight.. anybody else have one?
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RoboGeek
    read through the basics posts first.. that will give you a good basic understanding..
    Then d/l some of the .bin files and try locating tables in them. Once you can identify that then your halfway there. If you get stuck and arent sure what you should be looking for post and we will help you.
    I will tell you though.. the 2.4 is about as uncharted as any PCM out there.. But with help you can figure out whats doing what in there...

Do you have laptop? any OBDII cables yet?
    where does one get OBD cables? i am trying to start diagnosing my PCM (i.e. grabbing trouble codes and checking the "tuning" of the motor) and need a diagnostics cable that will work with several different applications (windows and DOS based) such as WinALDL and such.......and i want an actual cable for mine, not 2 or 3 wires on one end and the RS232 on the other.....any suggestions???? ???

you can go with the ELM based cables - they are limited in that they can only read info and not reprogram. Then you can read codes and check running parameters. I think you can clear codes through that chip, but I'm not positive.

You can get those cables for $50 - $100 or so..