Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop license?

Advanced Tuner

Workshop license?

With the release of efilives Flashscan will Hptuners be considering something similar to the workshop license? $6900 bucks gets tuning ability for all pcms, possibly excluding future releases. Also the software updates are free!!
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Senior Tuner

Re: Workshop license?

Been wondering this myself. The breakeven point is at 13
    vehicles. That would be about done with just Corvettes
    and Camaro V-8s. A "real shop" would be better off with
    the All-U-Can-Eat, by a substantial amount, if they really
    wanted total GM coverage.

I'm hoping for market forces to realign some high-end
    pricing.

There is also another product that is coming out very soon that has tremendous potential. I have spoken with the creator of it many times over the last few months and the problem is this.

How do you structure a license for the "Single" user in such a way to protect the "Professional" tuners investment in the product?

Senior Tuner

I've long since realized that you can only make rational
    sense of software licensing and pricing, if you constrain
    yourself to thinking in terms of revenue maximization.
    Any other logic, consistently fails. :P

Advanced Tuner

well in all reality the person that is going to tune their own car will do it regardless of whether there is shop around or not.

I personally have been doing obdI stuff for quite some time now thanks to tunercat and gmpcm, I know for certain that at least two of my customers have gone and purchased tunercat software, I know this because I showed them how to use it.

In general though 90% of the population dont have a clue how to use a computer properly, never mind mess with their calibration.

and here is the blunt truth,

do i continue to purchase from hptuners at 400 a pop and end up well over 20 grand before i am done OR

Do i sent Blacky 7 grand and call it done

financially not a very difficult decision is it?

And oh yeah, next week or so Tunercat will have his obdII solution ready.

I would also be intrested in a workshop licence. To me there would be enough of a price gap from the "general user" to the "workshop" licences that I don't see a problem about protecting the investment.

Actually I don't really get the question.
    How do you structure a license for the "Single" user in such a way to protect the "Professional" tuners investment in the product?
    Do you mean if the price is cheap enough for the Single user then it would hurt the Professional because everyone would just tune their own car? From what I've seen (in the Bay Area) there will always be people that want fast cars and don't want to mess with them (the pcm anyways) so that will protect my investment (if this becomes offered).

So Keith, Ken, Chris, about that "workshop" or "professinal" licence?
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

guys, no doubt competition drives any market - don't worry we are not ignorant of market forces We buy stuff too y'know... if only the price of twin-screw superchargers would come down i might have bought two instead of one :

Actually, our $399 price came from tuners themselves, the idea being the first tune pays for the license and from then on it was all gravy... not many other tools in a tuners arsenal have an ROI like that. Most view it as more than fair. I've seen some tuners demonstrate a payback in weeks. I'm not making a judgement here as every tuners situation is different, just stating some examples i know of. Also, bear in mind back then our competition was and mostly still is LS1edit.

Why doesn't someone start a thread on what would their price be if we didn't exist? I bet a few 0's disappeared off that business case... and before just a scanner was $499 and now somehow you get a scanner and a tuner for slightly more? And somehow magically you don't need to return your cable anymore to add new vehicles? How could that happen?.. :P (lucky we don't hold grudges on harsh comments in the past around here).

Now that i'm done stating the obvious, stay tuned, the game's just getting interesting

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Isn't competition great?
    The reason I purchased HPTuners package is the fact that I believe they will stay one step ahead of the competition. So I am looking forward to see what the return volley looks like.

Brian

Advanced Tuner

I must say this though, efilive flashscan only supports V8, they do not have V6 support and do not plan on adding it either.

I just like the idea that they have a "full meal deal" price structure

also i think their basic cable has two analog inputs and locks to the first two units it programs, thats units not model years.

Aside from a couple features in the scanner (which i am sure will eventually show up in Hptuners), and a more user freindly 3d graph system (hint-hint),
    Hptuners still looks like the better all round product.

you guys may wanna check the orders page

I count sheep in hex...

How does this affect existing users who paid for the Standard edition + the Upgraded EIO unit?

Do we get the option of the "PRO Series" and adding another vehicle type?

Quote Originally Posted by Monodax
    How does this affect existing users who paid for the Standard edition + the Upgraded EIO unit?

Do we get the option of the "PRO Series" and adding another vehicle type?
    yes all existing users will be get "Pro" on the next update, you have the option to add an extra vehicle for $199 if you desire.

I count sheep in hex...

You guys ROCK!

You do know that you are going to "Delete" any competition with this new pricing structure. ;D

Oh my goodness. How did that happen!!!
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner

Now thats what I am talking about, Guess its time to get the old wallet out now

Now when you say truck, does that include avalanche, escalade, hummer, sierra, silverado, tahoe, yukon and savana?

Sure does. ;D

Well, this is interesting.

thats only half of the announcement.

So when can we expect this other half of the announcement?
    Thanks,
    Chad

Advanced Tuner

beat ya to it, just sent my 4 grand, ouch. I dont mind supporting a company that listens to their customers.