Thread: Mazda RX-8

Potential Tuner

Mazda RX-8

Hi all

I'm researching info for the PCM used on the Mazda RX-8 for the Renesis rotary engine.

So I suppose this is the thread I needed to start to get things going.

I'll hope to learn generic stuff here, and keep you updated with what I can find.

I'm a software engineer by profession, and a petrol head by hobby.

Cheers,
    Hymee.
    \"If it aint powered by fuel then it aint sport!\"

Re: Mazda RX-8

I was reading it is similar to the ls1 engine...

Potential Tuner

Where did you read that? I'm interested in getting my hands on whatever I can.

Cheers,
    Hymee.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by The_Highlander
    I was reading it is similar to the ls1 engine...
    I would really doubt that.
    Madza have usually used Denso PCM's (see also Toyota). Very nasty, code is usually locked away in an OTP CPU.

Hey Hymee,

How are things going on your hunt to understand the RX8?

a VERY nice car i must say, i had a good look at one the other day at a dealer.

I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

Gameover,

Nice to hear from you. So far I have only been playing with CAN interface stuff into the ODBII, getting some real time feedback of the engines sensors. I feel I need to master that before I can go the next step, and be able to read / reprogram the cal.

Also been playing with a couple of piggy backs. No proper dyno results yet though.

They are a great car. As always, could do with some more HP! Handling and braking is very, very good, and the 6-speed is a dream. They seem to be in a fairly high state of tune from the factory, but gains look like they are there to be had, but not like the sorts of gains that the boys are getting out of the LS1's!

BTW - The RX-8 has a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, and the lambda is available via the OBDII. But there are still guys who have been putting an additional sensor in there as well :

Cheers,
    Hymee.