Thread: DTC-Charge System Fault

Tuner in Training

DTC-Charge System Fault

Hi Guys,

I started getting a DTC-Charging System Fault since I replaced my factory headers with LG LT Pro headers. The shop had to pull my alternator to get the old headers out. I don't see any pinched wires or loose connections. It seems to happen mainly when I get on the accelerator, so I don't know if that is because the car is demanding more voltage then or because the belt is now slipping with the added HP. Any ideas about what is causing this issue?

Tuner in Training

Re: DTC-Charge System Fault

You'll get that message when one of two things happen. 1.) The PCM see's less than 11.0 volts at it's input. 2.) The PCM doesn't see any current feedback from the field circuits.

So it could be a loose wire, or alternator on the downfall, or possible a bad terminal connection.

Advanced Tuner
    Since this code is generated by PCM, could it be disabled by HPtuners? I didn't find it from the DTC list of my '99 Corvette.

I would like to get rid of it. I have a perfectly working 140 A alternator with decoupler from a later automatic Corvette and it throws this code. I know I should have the 110 A model for a manual car but I think there's some benefits from the decoupler and extra amps.

What code is in it?
    What is the alt from?

It may be controlled by the BCM,the BCM monitors the voltage and tells the ECM to change the output of the alt.
    This info is for a 2012 vette.

Advanced Tuner
    In C5 it's PCM which controls the alt operation. There's no dtc code nr in service manual nor dtc list. It only shows a message in driver information display.

I got a tip to leave L and F terminal diagnose to "no error reported". I will try that.