Thread: Help, killed truck 1st try

Potential Tuner

Help, killed truck 1st try

I downloaded the VCM just fine. Made a few changes (disabled TM and increased the shift at WOT).

When I did a write calibration only it got an error message (Mode 1 - erasing the VCM timeout).

Truck is no start.

I was under the impression that the write calibration only was "safe". Did I fry the VCM??? I hope not, as it's my only vehicle and I need to get to work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryans
    I downloaded the VCM just fine. Made a few changes (disabled TM and increased the shift at WOT).

When I did a write calibration only it got an error message (Mode 1 - erasing the VCM timeout).

Truck is no start.

I was under the impression that the write calibration only was "safe". Did I fry the VCM??? I hope not, as it's my only vehicle and I need to get to work tomorrow.
    Try a full write.
    It should work.
    What truck do you have?

I am new to this but I think because you "read" vcm first then your editor software should have history. Click edit, then view history. With that info you probally can get your tune back to stock and try another write vcm calibration only. You should probally wait until the senior tuners chime in though because they would know better than I. Goodluck!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What vehicle? An infolog without your serial number & app key and the file you tried to write to the vehicle would be helpful.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I got it working again. I tried the stock tune but it never got past the (Mode 1 erase timeout error). I took an honest 18+ tries but it started. I'm real nervous about putting a tune in it now. I reseated the cables several times and put my laptop on A/C power. Not once was I able to get it to begin a write. I feel like I got lucky as I tried for 45 minutes before it started.

Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4, 5.3 flex fuel.

Thought I wasn't supposed to post serial numbers and stuff but I can send a private message to you if needed. I can also use a different laptop if you think it might make a difference.

Thanks for the support!! I was expecting a Monday turn around.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Like I said you can post an infolog WITHOUT your serial number or app key in the txt file. You can also post your tune without issue.

It should never take you 18+ tries to get a write calibration to take. I would assume its a laptop to interface connection issue of some sort. I would definitely try another laptop, just make sure you resync your licenses by going to the editor-help-license info & click the blue HP icon while your hardware is connected after you've switched laptops. This will ensure any licenses you previously had will not be overlooked by the software.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock This
    Try a full write.
    It should work.
    What truck do you have?
    On an LS1 in this case thats actually bad advice.

Could be low battery voltage.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner
    I'll try a different laptop tonight and upload the information asked. Guess I need to read a bit better.

I probably did a dozen calibrations with the modified file and it never took. Even when I got my truck to start after using the stock file it didn't take so we are talking an honest 30 tries with zero successes.

I hope it isn't the battery, the truck is 14 months old and has 26k on it. Any suggestions on how to boost the battery voltage?

Potential Tuner
    New laptop, reinstalled software, same exact thing.
    I have a screenshot of the error. I drove my truck over 200 miles so the battery should be fully charged.

I counted 17 tries before I was able to flash with the stock program. This was the first time it worked for me.

I can buy another USB cable as it appears to be standard but I'm concerned as once I do my first flash it takes a long time before I get lucky and it starts. If my luck runs out I'm in trouble.

I'm going to schedule my truck for the E85 upgrade and see if they have problems. The truck is a year old, never been in an accident and I'm the only one that has driven it so I doubt the VCM in the truck is the problem.

Laptops are Alienware m5500 and HP nc6120. Both are 1.8Ghz proc, 2GB RAM, overkill for what is needed.

Suggestions on the next step???

what kind of stereo equipment do you have in the truck? I have run into many issues with aftermarket stereos that utilize a "thumbsucker" that attaches to the OBDII system. It wreaks hell on the bus. If you have one of those, dump it immediately.

They are a worthless POS (all they do is prevent communication errors with the "missing" factory radio) and the system will get along just fine without it.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    Suggestions on the next step???

Like I said you can post an infolog WITHOUT your serial number or app key in the txt file. You can also post your tune without issue.
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Potential Tuner
    Factory radio, I didn't want to loose OnStar and Steering wheel controls.

How do I generate an infolog?? Is that part of the scanner?? If so It will connect but not scan, it times out.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Factory radio, I didn't want to loose OnStar and Steering wheel controls.

How do I generate an infolog?? Is that part of the scanner?? If so It will connect but not scan, it times out.
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.h...mersupport.htm

Im concerned your not able to scan. Am I to understand your truck runs & drives fine and you still cannot connect? If so what exact error message are you seeing?

Potential Tuner
    Here is my infolog. Thanks for the link, I searched the site and didn't find it. I also included my original error message again. It's in Word2003 format.

The scanner was working today but I was getting retry errors yesterday. I didn't try it once my truck was able to start. It may be connected. No start no communication? Today it scanned for the first time. Way cool!!

My truck goes in for the E85 update on Thursday. I won't touch my truck till it gets back and I'll save a new "E85 stock" file to upload to your .bin repository along with the original "stock" file. That way ya'll can have fun picking it apart.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm usually super smart, just having a bad week or something.

I did turn off my radio, fan and set the e-brake.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bryans can you please post your file?

Potential Tuner
    Here is my Mod'ed and Stock files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Got it!! I swapped to a 3rd laptop today (work upgrade) and removed my iPod->XM Radio converter. I'm sure the iPod is just like an aftermarket radio and causes a fuss on the bus.

Just wanted to say how SUPER happy I am with the tech support and fast responses. Most were on a Sunday night and completely unexpected. Also getting the Beta within hours of my E85 upgrade was outstanding!!

Thanks again SO much!!