Thread: Can you load an M6 bin to an A4 PCM?

Tuner in Training

Can you load an M6 bin to an A4 PCM?

Switching transmissions and want to know if this is possible or do I need my PCM reflashed to an M6?

Re: Can you load an M6 bin to an A4 PCM?

For 99+ vehicles, you just need to find an M6 bin with same OS ID and calibration for the trans you are putting in. It will have to be the same year as you are licensed for.

The Operating System is the same for A4 and M6, just the calibration data differs.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Cool thanks

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    For 99+ vehicles, you just need to find an M6 bin with same OS ID and calibration for the trans you are putting in. It will have to be the same year as you are licensed for.

The Operating System is the same for A4 and M6, just the calibration data differs.

What needs to be done to swap a '98 from A4 to M6?
    1998 Trans Am&&1989 Mustang GT

Senior Tuner

You would need to get an ECM that matches the trans you have. For example, if you are using a 4L60E, you need an auto ECM ... for a manual (or auto without ECM controls like a TH400) you would need a manual ECM. Also for the non-ECM controlled auto, you could just delete all the references from the ECM of the auto functions. This is what I did with my TH400 swap and I have not had a single problem.

Tuner in Training

so your sayin when i do a a4 to m6 conversion in my 98 TA this coming winter im gonna need to find a totally different pcm for my car.. its not able to be reflashed to a manuel???

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    You would need to get an ECM that matches the trans you have. For example, if you are using a 4L60E, you need an auto ECM ... for a manual (or auto without ECM controls like a TH400) you would need a manual ECM. Also for the non-ECM controlled auto, you could just delete all the references from the ECM of the auto functions. This is what I did with my TH400 swap and I have not had a single problem.
    This is not right. I have a friend that has swapped the A4 PCM from his car into an M6 car a couple times with no ill effects. He had to modify a few of the fields, but it wasn't a major deal. Easiest way to do it is to look at the tune from an M6 car and just match the values in the transmission fields.
    2016 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training

well im getting my t56 here in a week and im just hoping someone has an answer to if i can just load up a bin file from a m6 98 with the same os or do i need a new pcm???

edit: if it helps any my os is 9352086

Tuner in Training

just to update.. i loaded a different os id onto my 98.. it was from a 98 camaro ss with a different os.. i did an vcm entire rewrite.. THANK GOD FOR PRO VERSION... thanks guys for giving us that upgrade. you saved me major headache with your help....

Tuner

that camaro SS should be just fine I did the stock read on it days after a tech 2 reset

the pro is nice update.

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA