Thread: just ordered... couple of questions

Tuner in Training

just ordered... couple of questions

I've done a fair amount of reading and searching but still have a few questions.
    I'm currently using edit and efilive to flash and log with along with an LM1 wideband. Not working out so good after the heads/cam. I have a running car that idles decent and drives decent but issues with slight surge at low mph cruise and some knock under load ( '98 f-body). I've been trying to hold out on getting Hptuners until I can get a new laptop because my current one is a 366mhz 128 ram. I couldn't wait any longer and ordered hpt tonight. My current plan is to use the black box logging for a week or two until I can get a new laptop. Is that going to work out for me? I really want the bi-di controls but I know I have to wait on a laptop for that one but will I still be able to do general logging and histogram use by using the black box then transferring it over to my current laptop? I have a feeling a majority of my problems are in my ve table although I also suspect the 98 knock sensors are the other part of my problem.
    My plan right now is to use edit and flash the car back to stock then do a read with hpt so I'll have a stock hpt bin. Then I plan on flashing my current tune back to the car with edit and reading it with hpt and working from there. My tune right now is the product of several frustrating weeks of work and I'm not in a hurry to start all over again. Sound like a plan or should I just start over with the stock file? I have weeks of blood,sweat, and tears invested into that edit tune but as everyone is aware edit works against you and not for you when you're tuning.
    just in case it's at all relevant here's my mod list

98 formula
    228r cam
    5.3L stage 2.5 heads
    ls6intake
    shaner s3 tb
    strange 12 bolt
    headers
    !cats
    e-cutout
    and basically all the bolt ons with nittos

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    My current plan is to use the black box logging for a week or two until I can get a new laptop. Is that going to work out for me?
    yeah just follow the standalone datalogging demo in the demo's section of the help file www.hptuners.com/help as it will run you through setting up the standalone function.

I really want the bi-di controls but I know I have to wait on a laptop for that one but will I still be able to do general logging and histogram use by using the black box then transferring it over to my current laptop?
    yeah it shouldnt be an issue.

Sound like a plan or should I just start over with the stock file?
    you'll find hptuners has probably hundreds of more parameters for your 98 than edit does so personally i would just start over fresh.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners

you'll find hptuners has probably hundreds of more parameters for your 98 than edit does so personally i would just start over fresh.
    Damn, I just new you were gonna recommend that. I actually kind of thought that in the back of my mind. Hopefully the second time around goes a little smoother than the first. Thanks for the reply.

Tuner in Training
    I got notification that it shipped out today, just waiting on my activation key. Really looking forward to having it. I actually drove the car to work today and using edit my tune isn't completely terrible but I have a feeling I'll be able to get it much much better with your guys stuff.
    Another question.
    I went ahead and bought a laptop. I bought a refurbished 1ghz 512 megs of ram and 40 gig HD. It comes without an operating system. I have xp pro and 98SE here. Does it matter which one I use? Does HPT work any better with one or the other. My personal preference is 98SE. Don't ask why, it just is. I like it because it doesn't feel as cluttered as XP. I run XP pro on my desktop and 98se on my current laptop. Just curious if it matters at all which one I use.
    Last edited by 0rion; 05-26-2007 at 01:13 AM.