Thread: Can I use HPT if I already have used LS1edit?

Tuner in Training

Can I use HPT if I already have used LS1edit?

I paid a guy to tune my 98 vette with LS1edit. Do I have to take it back to stock before I can read and write HPtuner? I am happy with his tuning except that I get up to 14 degrees of knock with the converter locked and accelerating from 40-70 mph. His solution is to unlock the converter at 5% throttle as I get almost no knock with the converter unlocked. I would like to remove some timing in that area.

I would like to purchase HPT to make some adjustments to my timing as I have 53cc heads and run a 232/236 .600 lift cam. I would also like to scan my runs at the track to make sure I dont have KR.

I will purchase HPT this week if I can modify the LS1edit file with crashing my PCM.

Re: Can I use HPT if I already have used LS1edit?

You can read your current file tune and all and start modifying from there

Tuner

Actually - it depends on if the tuner locked the PCM via LS1Edit or not.

If locked, you wouldn't be able to download and edit the tune. If unlocked, then you'll have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmis
    Actually - it depends on if the tuner locked the PCM via LS1Edit or not.

If locked, you wouldn't be able to download and edit the tune. If unlocked, then you'll have no problem.
    well actually thats not the case as far as i understand it. Last i heard LS1edit uses a weaker locking system that basically prevents other users of LS1edit from reading/writing the PCM. I could be wrong though...

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

My PCM is not locked. The guy I use does not lock using LS1edit.

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    Last i heard LS1edit uses a weaker locking system that basically prevents other users of LS1edit from reading/writing the PCM. I could be wrong though...

And here I was quoting information I got off this forum (from another hptuner gent) when I asked the same question

Tuner in Training

Mine was locked in LS1 edit, but I have full write/read permissions.

Tuner in Training

I guess you've figured out that you can download the LS1edit tune and start from there. Although, I would hope that you have your stock tune backed up somewhere (prior to LS1 edit being used)

I downloaded my tuning with the Hypertech stuff installed and used it as a lesson to see what types of things to change. Then I unloaded Hypertech from the PCM and reset it back to stock and downloaded the OEM stock tune and backed it up.

Advanced Tuner

In short, yes. I previously had my car tuned with LS1Edit and have since refined the tune with HPTuners.

IMHO, HPTuners is a far superior product to LS1Edit in every way.

I did however notice a strange anomally. The scan tool didnt read the VCM properly until I flashed it with HPTuners. Some tables were off target with the first read from LS1Edit, for example, line pressure in the base shift table. I took this to be that LS1Edit doesnt update with as much granularity as HPTuners.

Still works though. My car has since made its best power runs on HPTuners at 228.9rwkw on a Dyno Dyanmics Dyno in shoot-out mode.

Im currently tuning out the minor knock under load and cruise and getting the AFR right at WOT in real driving conditions. Going for a Dyno run next week to check I havent stuffed up my WOT AFR. Heres hoping...

Cheers