Thread: WHAT IS DYNAMIC CYLINDER FILLING?

Tuner in Training

WHAT IS DYNAMIC CYLINDER FILLING?

What exactly is dynamic cylinder filling? And how would I go about bringing this number DOWN? My timing is garbage and I dont want to scale the timing table unless I have to. My fuel trims are slightly negative like they should be. Thanks.

Tuner

Re: WHAT IS DYNAMIC CYLINDER FILLING?

Dynamic implies motion or change. In any engine you have 2 factors that will impact cylinder filling; valve timing and port shape and lengths.

Different port sizes and shapes are fixed for a given engine unless they are changed through porting or a different intake manifold or header primary length collecter length and size of primary and collecter pipes.

Valve timing is of course cam size and overlap.

If you want to reduce cylinder filling the easyest way would be to restrict air flow into the engine. The easyest way to do this would be to use a smaller throttle body.

Why do you want to do this when everyone else is spending big dollars to increase cylinder filling?
    Warp 10 Always

Tuner in Training

Thanks a lot. I guess it's time to increase the timing table instead of decreasing cylinder filling to use the current table. I have LTs, no cats, GMAF and lid and I wasn't able to log much after the header install so do you think possibly that's what caused my cyl. filling to go up, which caused my timing to go down? I guess I just need to understand the effects of cylinder filling and whether it was good or bad. I wasn't sure if this number meant I was running too rich or what.

Tuner

Headers will increase engine efficiency in most cases and will scavenge the cylinders better than a stock exhaust. The result is that you will need to richen up the mixture to compensate.

There are many variables as to what engine combinations like what timing. Your timing should not be off that much with the right A/F ratio. Get that set and then go for timing.
    Warp 10 Always

Tuner in Training

Just today I got my Pe vs RPM table set to where O2's average .910, which is near perfect for my car. Still no change in timing. I thought that would help too but it didn't. I'm not sure what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by softy91
    Dynamic implies motion or change. In any engine you have 2 factors that will impact cylinder filling; valve timing and port shape and lengths.
    i think a Vortech T-Trim or a Garrett GT42 might count as a 3rd way of increasing cylinder filling ;D

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

CHRIS! Why would my cylinder filling be a bit high?

what values are you seeing on the scanner and the spark histograms? Also what is your PCM operating system ID?

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

Ummm... why would you want to decrease dynamic
    cylinder filling? That's what makes power! Right?