Thread: Please Help me Get Started

Potential Tuner

Please Help me Get Started

ok I am a computer idiot :huh2:I tried to play with my HP Tuner without it hooked up to my car and it is blank ???Ok I need step by step instructions :-/ I dont want to Change anything else in my pcm other than Idle and IAC ,how do I do this without changeing other things? I will greatfully appreciate your help....Thank you
    Scott

Potential Tuner

Re: Please Help me Get Started

Rick,
    From my limited experience (just started tuning this week) your running real lean! I'd start by adjusting the Flowrate vs KPA. It's located under engine>fuel control. I had the same thing with a 2003 vette with Halltech TRAP and Kooks headers w/high flow cats. I started by multiplying the entire field by .95 then .90 and so on. Now I'm at .85. This in essence tells the PCM your injectors are smaller than they actually are. Which makes the PCM to hold the injection pulse longer to add more fuel. Now as I stated earlier, I'm no expert but hopefully someone who is will chime in.

Brian

Tuner in Training

I did have a cold air modd chip, but took it out. i was told this was a big problem along with my ported MAF. I did another scan after taking out the chip, and it helped out a lot. but i still have problems. i may have to buy another stock MAF.
    1998 Camaro 5.7Modds-SLP lid-flow master cat back-ported MAF.

Tuner in Training

Hello all, I just got my trany tuned. Well I hope ???. Now is time for the engine tune. But I do not have a clue were to start. Or how to do it with out messing things up . Can anyone tell me what to start with and how to do it? I am working with a 1998 camaro. Feel free to look at my spread sheet and let me no.

modds
    SLP air lid
    cat back flow master
    ported MAF
    cold air chip but I removed this modd

here is my bin, log, and spread sheet Updated Aug-9

http://home.comcast.net/~rickpalmer1/save/98camaro.xls

http://home.comcast.net/~rickpalmer1/save/39.bin

http://home.comcast.net/~rickpalmer1/save/scanner1.hpl
    Last edited by rickpalmer; 12-18-2005 at 09:29 AM.

Hey Rick,

You are dangerously lean. Three FTCs are averaging +15 or so on the LTFTs, and you O2s at wot are in the 600's. You also see some pretty significant KR. By way of comparision, most people shoot for 900ish on the O2s at WOT and -2 to -4 average in FTCs 6-14 (you can see the FTCs by exporting your scanner file to a .csv and opening that in excel, I suppose you can also watch the scanner play back, but... eww .

Since your mods don't list bigger injecters and does list a MAF flow change, I would suggest modifying your MAF table first. Global changes to the MAF (scaling the whole table) will move your LTFTs in a linear way. If you scale your MAF table up 2% (multiply by 1.02), you will see a global change of around -2 to the LTFTs. If you scale the MAF table down by 2%, you should see a +2 LTFT change. I'd recommend a fairly big step, like 1.1, and then dialing in the MAF curve (adjusting the individual cells).

Before someone jumps all over me :P, this is a band aid method to get the lean condition under control so its safe enough to log some more data. If it were my car, I wouldn't go more that 50% throttle until the lean condition is fixed.

Once your get the LTFTs closer to zero, you can then move to adjusting your IFR fueling to help tweak the LTFTs into range.

After you've gotten the LTFTs negative, then move on to your timing, then WOT tuning.

This will most likely be a long process, so resign yourself to driving slow for a while I know how hard that can be!!

Advanced Tuner

Holy crap! Them are some seriously positive LTFT's you got there.

It's funny how now that we have the tools to see what our vehicles are doing we all freak out about this kind of stuff, but before we had the tools we had no idea so it wasn't even on our minds... Out of sight, out of mind.
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by SSBerserker
    Hey Rick,

You are dangerously lean. Three FTCs are averaging +15 or so on the LTFTs, and you O2s at wot are in the 600's. You also see some pretty significant KR. By way of comparision, most people shoot for 900ish on the O2s at WOT
    Sorry, I know this is a little old!

I see mid to high 800's on the 02's...? Was the 600 above a typo?

I see the crazy LTFT's out of PE... but otherwise WOT doesn't look that bad, does it?

Please say it doesn't. Mine is similar.
    \'04 Silverado SS. (6.0L, 10:1, 4.10\'s) Dynatech headers and cats, B&B cat-back, plugs + wires, VHP 210/218 .531/.531 112, VHP 1.89 rockers (.562\").

The posts in this thread don't add up. Pro-Mouses name is Scott but 2k3sgm called him Rick and I don't see anywhere about the 02s being 600. ??? ??? ??? ???
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner in Training
    i will try to get them down some

WTF, this is one messed up old thread.
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.