Thread: Advice on 6L80 trans tune for cammed daily

Potential Tuner

Advice on 6L80 trans tune for cammed daily

I've been reading on here for years but finally made an account to get some advice. Long story below, short story is I have my current tune attached and most recent driving log, trans just lost 4/5/6 and wanted some advice as my tuner told me to just put the stock trans tune in.

The Car
    I have a 2014 Caprice that I bought a few months ago. Tune was done on a dyno in 2019 or 2020 by the Sloppy Mechanics.

Details
    122k mile 6.0L
    BTR Stage 2 N/A Cam Specs: 225/238 .620"/.605" 113+3
    Kooks Headers
    Cat Delete X Pipe
    Borla Exhaust
    Circle D 3200 Converter

The car made 455 hp at the wheels on e85

Transmission go boom #1
    When I bought the car, the engine felt strong but the trans felt a bit off. After a few weeks, It started flaring and slipping until eventually I had a bunch of neutrals.

Local trans shop rebuilt it. They aren't specifically a performance shop but I told them the power it made and they used performance clutches and gave me a 1 year warranty.

Tuned
    The trans shop was worried that the car was not commanding TCC lockup so I reach out to an often mentioned mail order tuner on facebook groups for these cars and do a mail order tune back and forth and in the end the car drives crisp. Cruises with a mild shift, tip into the throttle feels good and triple down shift when you mash the floor feels like a kick in the ass and puts a smile on the face. We did have to do a few rounds back and forth as the logs kept showing TCC slippage until he upped the pressure high enough.

Transmission go boom #2
    I dont drag race this car. Mostly because I work 65 hours a week lately and I have 2 young children. 90% of my driving is shuttling my children to daycare. When they are not in the car and I beat on it, its from a roll and I have junk all seasons on the car. Traction didnt kill this transmission. I have just over 2K miles and 5 months since the 1st rebuild.

About 2 weeks ago on the 1st leg of my day care drive I realize on the road that 3-4 shift is feeling pretty slippery. Drop the kids off and getting on to the on ramp, that slipping into 4th turned into no gear at all. I had 1/2/3 and then it would rev without grabbing a thing. Paddle shifted into 3rd, made it the mile home and the flatbed sends it to the trans shop. They said the clutches burnt up and didnt charge me to replace, but wanted to tune the car to be safe. Because they are self admittedly not a race shop, especially for tuning the 6L80 I politely asked what the issue he saw with the tune:

Transmission Builders comment on the tune:

"I actually was going to have someone else look over the file. The way that lockup functions on this transmission is not correct. It doesn't lock up till 5th gear and locks up at too high of a pressure. It also doesn't unlock when it's coasting down. I am afraid it will cause it to fail again."

"The parts of the tune I think should be tweaked the most involve 4-5-6. I'll be honest and say I don't know a lot about the tuning aspect of it, but I believe the blocks for each shift can be adjusted for duration and feel. If that can be done I would address those shifts. The others feel good to me. I also have a concern with lockup. It does come in later than stock and I like that, the problem is it doesn't seem to release quick enough on coast down. It does not seem to release when you tap the brakes. The apply seems a little aggressive also. If I can help in any way please let me know."

I sent these comments over to the tuner (obviously with the offer to pay for a new tune if we needed to do some back and forth) and he said he didnt see how the converter pressure affects 4/5/6 clutch life as well as not locking until 5th because factory only locks in 4/5/6 anyway. He then suggested we put the bone stock trans tune in, and if we want to adjust the shifts that the trans shop do it in the valvebody.

My question
    Thank you for making it to the end of my rambling! I'm looking for additional opinions. I've attached my current tune and the last log I did that the tuner was happy with after the first rebuild. If I should go back to stock tune, I will but I do like the firmer aggressive shifts for being silly on the street.

Ultimately reliability is my number one concern. So what are thoughts on the calibration in the attached tune? And would a bone stock trans tune for the 6L80 have any issues with a 3200 converter?

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    You need to log your PCS 1 through 5 pressures and the trans slip. I have almost the same caprice except more cubes and more cam. Self tuned.

The main thing I really see weird with your TCC is you have no ramp going on. You pressure is either 0 or 100. That is unusual, it should vary pressure with reported torque. You have no TCC lock enabled until 5th gear also btw. I will dig deeper into the tune for you later today fellow PPV owner.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewquant View Post
    You need to log your PCS 1 through 5 pressures and the trans slip. I have almost the same caprice except more cubes and more cam. Self tuned.

The main thing I really see weird with your TCC is you have no ramp going on. You pressure is either 0 or 100. That is unusual, it should vary pressure with reported torque. You have no TCC lock enabled until 5th gear also btw. I will dig deeper into the tune for you later today fellow PPV owner.
    Thank you! I greatly appreciate it. I just want to keep this clapped out cop car running until I gather all the junk for the TR6060 swap.

Tuner in Training
    Your virtual torque tables are still stock, way too low for your power being made. They need approx 50% increase, especially on your E85 torque table. Match your dyno results plus about 29% (25% for the drivetrain loss and then 4% surplus buffer). If you dont know how to do that, Goat Rope Garage on youtube has a video on how. Those tables control your line pressure and weigh heavily on how your 6L80 shifts and holds gear. If your torque is underreported (it is) then you are more likely to get slipping. Especially if you have a leak in your 4-5-6 clutch which you might if your problems are all 4-5-6.