Thread: Switching between HPTuners and Other OBD tuners

Tuner in Training

Switching between HPTuners and Other OBD tuners

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler and before I had HP tuners, I used a Superchips FlashPaq to load precanned tunes and change some settings in the Jeep like speedo calibration, DRL, disable TPMS, etc.

I?ve since switched to HP tuners since I?m working on adding a supercharger to my Jeep. Can I still use my Superchips tuner to make certain changes that aren?t accessible in HPTuners and then switch back to HP tuners for the AFR tuning or will I lose my credits?

Thanks.
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    CAI, longtube headers, high flow cats
    Homebrew twin-screw supercharger project in the works

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjones View Post
    I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler and before I had HP tuners, I used a Superchips FlashPaq to load precanned tunes and change some settings in the Jeep like speedo calibration, DRL, disable TPMS, etc.

I?ve since switched to HP tuners since I?m working on adding a supercharger to my Jeep. Can I still use my Superchips tuner to make certain changes that aren?t accessible in HPTuners and then switch back to HP tuners for the AFR tuning or will I lose my credits?

Thanks.
    I have seen some other HP Tuners users do this in the past...

Make the modifications to the tune with the Superchips Flashpaq. Then, using HP Tuners, read the tune from the PCM and save it. Then, make a copy of it and save it as a backup. Next, edit the tune with HP Tuners and flash the PCM.

Tuner in Training
    Just following up with this topic. I was able to load the Superchips tune file back into my Jeep and then use HPTuners to read the PCM. I?ve made a few small changes to account for larger injectors etc. They (Superchips) really didn?t change much for their ?93 Performance? tune as compared to stock. They bumped up spark advance. The AFR map is a little choppy - it could be smoother IMO. They made changes to the pedal voltage table to improve throttle response but did not change the % Power accordingly, so I?ll fix that too.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjones View Post
    Just following up with this topic. I was able to load the Superchips tune file back into my Jeep and then use HPTuners to read the PCM. I?ve made a few small changes to account for larger injectors etc. They (Superchips) really didn?t change much for their ?93 Performance? tune as compared to stock. They bumped up spark advance. The AFR map is a little choppy - it could be smoother IMO. They made changes to the pedal voltage table to improve throttle response but did not change the % Power accordingly, so I?ll fix that too.
    Cool man. I've been successful with reading the tune in the PCM after it was tuned with a Superchips Flashpaq and then editing the tune with HP Tuners and flashing it back to the vehicle. I had some issues in my early usage of HP Tuners but it seems that the newer the Flashpaq the easier it was to read, edit and flash.
    Last edited by fast69mopar; 08-22-2021 at 03:36 PM.

I did something similar on a 2004 LJ with a Traildash. Superchips "91 octane" claibration was loaded, but the Jeep is pretty extensively modified and some evap codes needed to be dealt with. I read the PCM with HPT with the Superchips file flashed, then flashed the Jeep back to stock using the Traildash, then pulled the stock file and made a copy. That way I could see what all the differences were between the "91 octane" file and stock file.

Right now the Jeep is running a stock file with a few codes disabled in an effort to keep the MIL off. I could just open the stock file and open the Superchips tune as a compare file and copy over the differences, but I want to take some time and actually see what changes were made. I assume there will be improvements to be made.

I may have done it the long way, but I didn't want to run into any issues crossing over from different platforms. So far, so good.
    Last edited by 84lx; 11-02-2021 at 10:30 PM.

yes it can be done , i use my diablo to change some stuff too