Thread: Timing table rule of thumb?

Tuner

Timing table rule of thumb?

Whats the rule of thumb to start with on the timing table? Add 3 degrees on the whole table to adjust from KR? Where do you start?
    98\' T/A, filter/lid, Comp 212-218, 85mm MAF

Tuner

Re: Timing table rule of thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by ZUKI
    Whats the rule of thumb to start with on the timing table? Add 3 degrees on the whole table to adjust from KR? Where do you start?
    That's kinda what I did.

You're better off logging first, then adding/subtracting wherever you can (subtract where there's KR, add where there isn't).

Then log again, change, log again, change, log again.....

Just make small adjustments (no more than 2 degrees at a time).

Also, try to smooth the table a bit while you're at it. i.e. 25, 25, 26, 27 good.
    25, 21, 26, 33 bad.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Tuner

Also, I don't know about others and their LS1s, but you have to put 50 miles or so, on a new tune before it smoothes out again... even with just a small change. It's almost like mine needs to relearn itself again.
    Because it must be Brent!&&\'05 FORD F-250 Diesel, baby

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mustbbrent
    Also, I don't know about others and their LS1s, but you have to put 50 miles or so, on a new tune before it smoothes out again... even with just a small change. It's almost like mine needs to relearn itself again.
    I don't think this is true about timing changes, only IFR changes (for LTFT tuning) require 50 mile learn times.

When I mess with timing, I do it, log right after, change again, log right away etc.

The changes seem to take effect instantly with timing. At least in my car.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Tuner in Training

When uploading your vcm, does it automatically clear the learned values (ltft) or do we have to do it manually? I'm asking because if you upload a timing change and ltft's were cleared, wouldn't that have an effect on your logging?

My values are all over the place. As the RPM go up the timing would go up then go down, then up again. Should I progressively make it go up? Do high RPM like more timing then low or the other way around? In my table the middle RPM have the most timing. So what should I do?

Tuner in Training

My timing is all over the place, and LOW also. It's because of the air the MAF is reporting. With mine, the air flow seems to drop off in spots, therefore causing it to access a different portion of the main spark table.

Tuner

Timing table rule of thumb?

I thought that I had my timing table dialed in. I went on a trip last week of about 3000 miles.

I downloaded my current settings and compared them to the one that I dialed. I noticed a difference between the high octane timing tables so I decided to load each on a spreadsheet and subtract one from the other.

I had as much as 6 degrees added to some cells and there were no reductions. All the changes were positive and were at lower RPMs. My car has a T-56 trans., which has a .5 6th gear. While traveling and crusing at 80, 2100 RPM is where you live. This matches where all the timing changes occured (1400 -2400 RPM).

I do not have any idea of how long it took the car to make these changes.
    Warp 10 Always