Thread: No Serial Port on Laptop

No Serial Port on Laptop

I just got a new laptop and seems that technology is going away from the old Serial Ports and replacing them with USB. I purchased a USB to Serial Port adapter cable (about $40 at Radio Shack - You can get them cheaper online but figured I could take it back easier if it didn't work). Luckily it worked with HPTuner. 2 of my other programming/editing programs wouldn't work with it though. One was a DOS program (DOS doesn't support USB) and not sure why the other one doesn't work. HPTuner didn't seem to communicate quite as well but it did work OK. I ended up trading it for a different model with Serial Port though.

Later, Rick @ STS
    www.ststurbo.com

Tuner in Training

Re: No Serial Port on Laptop

Ok, I'm just making sure. The Editor and Flash program from HPTuners did indeed work with the USB? Is that correct?
    1998 Trans Am. Looks stock......but far from it

Tuner in Training

it uses a serial connection

most people use a usb to serial converter, i use a card thingy for the side that gives me a serial port

Potential Tuner

I've used the Keyspan USB -> Serial adaptor successfully with Autotap, EFILive, LS1-edit, and HP Tuners. They are all not created equally. While they will technically function you will find many have poor throughput #s leading to reads/writes at 4x or 8x the time it should take.

Tim

Potential Tuner

anyone know if they have a version of the cable with USB in development? Or firewire? I beleive they both are outrageously faster than Serial. but, if not then I would recommend this as I just ordered one to use with HP tuners

http://www.c-source.com/csource/news...art_no=CB2S650

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training

[quote author=JMHVenom

http://www.c-source.com/csource/news...art_no=CB2S650[/quote]

Any suggestion on how to install this thing? I only get the first page of the 3 in the read-me file. Says I need the latest version of Chinese something for Adobe ???

I went to BestBuy and bought a $29.00 USB-Serial Port adaptor. Works like a charm. I get better throughput speeds than my friend with a direct serial port connection.

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JMHVenom
    anyone know if they have a version of the cable with USB in development? Or firewire? I beleive they both are outrageously faster than Serial. but, if not then I would recommend this as I just ordered one to use with HP tuners

http://www.c-source.com/csource/news...art_no=CB2S650
    Of course we do.
    It will include CAN support and other goodies as well.
    We will release it after it has been thoroughly tested on the GM 05 models that are switching to CAN.

Regards,
    Ken

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SSBerserker
    I went to BestBuy and bought a $29.00 USB-Serial Port adaptor. Works like a charm. I get better throughput speeds than my friend with a direct serial port connection.

Have your friend check his comm. port settings. He should get about 2 min for a read and 27-30 secs for a write. But this is dependent on how fast his laptop is.

Ken

Tuner

My new dell doesn't have a serial, so I bought a usb-serial converter from bestbuy, but it didn't work at all. It was a belkin. Stay away from those. I bought another one from sewelldev.com and it has worked like a charm! It's also much cheaper to boot!
    98 M6 TA, mods: tsp torquer(233/233 .589 112), Patriot golds, ls6 oil pump, ls6 intake, tsp lid, pacesetter LT\'s and ORY, magnaflow, fra, HPTUNER!