Thread: New to Programming... Need help getting started.

Tuner in Training

New to Programming... Need help getting started.

Folks,
    I just received HP Tuners for 98, now I need help in what to do next. I have read from the PCM. I removed EGR and already changed my tire size and gear ratio. Now I need to work on LTrims and Timing and Knock problems.

Mods include.
    CC 212 218 523 529 114 Cam
    Stage 2 Heads
    MAC Headers and ORY pipe
    PACE LS1 calibrated LS6 MAF

I just unhooked my MAFT and now am ready to log data. My question is what to log and what to look for? Also what should be some of the first things to change?

Thanks in advance for all your help?

Tom
    The toys:&&&&

Tuner

Re: New to Programming... Need help getting starte

Start by logging:
    LTFT's
    KR
    Timing
    MPH
    RPM

to get that thing to idle right your gonna need to raise the idle to 850-950rpm, raise timing 0-1000rpm by 5-6ยบ and cut fuel in that rpm-range by about 20% (that's a VERY rough attempt at getting it to idle smooth....you'll have to work on it from there)

If you're running the stock injectors your LTFT's will probably be close to maxed out with that heads/cam combo (and you REALLY need a bigger cam to take advantage of those heads man....think ASA or TR224), you're gonna have to raise PE all the way across the board until your LTFT's start to come in to the normal range (Zero or slightly negative)

you said you are having knock issues....most of that is probably because the fuel trims are maxed out and you are starting to lean out at load. you MAY be at or near the limit of the 26.4 lb/hr injectors that come stock but I'm gonna lean towards scaling the PE table by 110% first to see if the LTFT's come down any (if they don't scale to 125%....if the fuel trims are still really high your probably gonna need bigger injectors)

this is a VERY BASIC starting place (and I am using some BIG assumptions here too.....if you want to post up some logs of the LTFT's and KR we can start to work on those)
    '99 ECSB Silverado 2500LD
    6.0 LQ4|Polished "241" Heads|10.3 CR|VHP "044" cam|HPTuners SD Tune|Pacesetter Headers|Magnaflow Exhaust|Custom CAI|

Tuner in Training

Ok I need to add a few things that I left out above.

I also have a Walbro 255 fuel pump
    The reason for the small split pattern cam is it agrees very nicely with nitrous as well as idles like stock.

At the current time I am not concerned about nitrous. I want to get my N/A tune where it will be most powerful. Then have another tune for the track and nitrous runs.

I believe the last time I logged ltrims it was averaging -1.9 in cells 1-19. But that was the old MAFT and using AutoTap. I used the scanner tool last night for a little driving around and would see 4.4KR at 4000 almost everytime I went WOT.

So I will log all of the data points mentioned above and report back. Thanks and I really appreiate your help Yelo.

Tom

the new LTFT, STFT, Advance, Retard histograms in the scanner should help you a lot when logging these kinds of issues.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Don't mess with WOT yet. You're not ready for it.

First get your idle fixed.

Then, get your LTFTs barely negative during part throttle and cruise (-2 to -4 on average).

Then get your PE vs. RPM fueling right to get your air/fuel at WOT right.

Then mess with timing.

In that order. Good luck.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Tuner in Training

Ok, I'm still a bit scared of doing soemthing wrong... Here are my logs, if anyone wants look and tell me where exactly to start changing things, I'd appreiate it. If you'd rather look at excel I can post those as well.

Thanks Tom

http://24.169.250.74/hptuners/May26.hpl
    http://24.169.250.74/hptuners/May29_2.hpl

Tuner

Use excel.

That way you can actually sort, average, calculate, etc. with the data.

First thing to focus on is your LTFTs. Make sure your car is warmed up, then log about 7 minutes or so of part throttle (less than 30%) and cruise driving.

Take all your LTFTs in excel and average them for the log.

If they're positive, multiply your IFR table by a number 95-99% and drive for 50 minutes or so, then log again.

Do this till your LTFTs are around negative 2 to negative 4 on average, and NOT positive at part throttle.
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Tuner in Training

Why so negative. I thought you wanted it negative as close to zero. That was the way the procedures were when LS1Edit first came out. That was also the way it was done with MAFT. Just wondering if something has changed since the last time I researched this thing?

Thanks for the input.
    Tom

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWS6LS1
    Why so negative. I thought you wanted it negative as close to zero. That was the way the procedures were when LS1Edit first came out. That was also the way it was done with MAFT. Just wondering if something has changed since the last time I researched this thing?

Thanks for the input.
    Tom
    Negative 2 is barely negative.

Why so negative? Well ideally, you'd want it to be negative one to zero, but it'd be very very hard to do that without going positive at SOME point.

And if you go positive, then the computer will see a lean condition and dump a bunch of extra fuel in when you punch it. That's bad.

-2 to -4 on average is a relatively easy number to shoot for and or hit.

Some people recommend -4 to -8 even.