Thread: Is it safe to load my tune on here ???

Tuner in Training

Is it safe to load my tune on here ???

Is it safe to load my tune on here since it has my ID and Key ??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Your tune doesn't have your id or key unless you physically entered it for some odd reason in the tune details window.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I always wondered about the VIN#.

Isn't it exposed?

To me it's no different than me walking up to your car and reading the VIN off the windshield.

Tunes posted here are totally safe to me. You use tunes here at your own risk if you wish to do anything with them anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    True. But if I wanted to mask the # on my car, I could. Not so sure about the software.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    To me it's no different than me walking up to your car and reading the VIN off the windshield.

Tunes posted here are totally safe to me. You use tunes here at your own risk if you wish to do anything with them anyway.
    My vin on my dash is covered so.........
    -------------------------------------
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Good for you.

You'd have to be pretty determined and lucky to get anywhere with someone's VIN number. Getting extra keys made at any dealership that follows the rules will require ownership papers and in some states covering the VIN could lead to a ticket as they are suppose to be visable from outside the vehicle. Also if someome removed the VIN's and on some vehicles grinded away the numbers on the frame/stamped body, they might think the vehicle was stolen.

People can do what they want but it seems pointless to worry about your VIN number on a tuning forum.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I dont, Ive posted my tune here before so you're barking up the wrong tree. But, there are crooked people everywhere, and you seem to feel mighty safe. What's wrong with a little extra precaution. But, I know you can change the VIN in the program, why not change it, save it, then post it with incorrect information if it makes him feel better why you so worried about it? Nobody is asking you to do it.
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
    I dont, Ive posted my tune here before so you're barking up the wrong tree. But, there are crooked people everywhere, and you seem to feel mighty safe. What's wrong with a little extra precaution. But, I know you can change the VIN in the program, why not change it, save it, then post it with incorrect information if it makes him feel better why you so worried about it? Nobody is asking you to do it.
    Lets start a pissing match. Not getting enough attention at ls1tech?

Gotta agree with 5FDP and JasonB on this one,....you'd have to go to extraordinary lengths to use a VIN on here for anything. I'd say it's safe,....and obviously no less safe than someone looking through your windshield to get the number. But, to each his own,.....do what you think best,...no judgment here, simply opinion fellars (And,.....you know what they bout opinions,....)
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Lets start a pissing match. Not getting enough attention at ls1tech?
    Just showing this man another side of the equation he might not have thought about. Because he DOESNT choose to cover his VIN he automatically assumes no one else does as well. I'm showing him there are other ways of doing things. Same goes with people who don't show their plate on internet pics, which I choose not to also. It's just preference AND knowing the technology is there if someone wants to use it. I'm sorry you wear your feelings on your shoulders and this seem to upset you.
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Like the people that cover their plate when they post pictures of their cars online. Do you also cover it when the thousands of people you share the road with see the plate? It's pointlessly cautious.

Thousands of people don't see my car because I probably put 50 street miles on it last year. Besides 99% of "random" people on the road aren't car people and 99.9% aren't thieves. Now let me lay a little common sense on you, if you wanted to steal (or just say "find") something, would you randomly drive around the city looking for it, or would you see where its at and go directly to it. This is not old school 1930s with no internet or "sharing" type technology, a thief can locate his victims from his living room. I know you feel safe in your bubble, and I do mine, I have collector car insurance so Im getting PAID if it gets stolen, however, thats not everyone's situation. It kills me how close minded and secure some people think they are. And lets be honest these cars aren't hard to steal, there are major theft rings here just for these vehicles.
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
    Thousands of people don't see my car because I probably put 50 street miles on it last year. Besides 99% of "random" people on the road aren't car people and 99.9% aren't thieves. Now let me lay a little common sense on you, if you wanted to steal (or just say "find") something, would you randomly drive around the city looking for it, or would you see where its at and go directly to it. This is not old school 1930s with no internet or "sharing" type technology, a thief can locate his victims from his living room. I know you feel safe in your bubble, and I do mine, I have collector car insurance so Im getting PAID if it gets stolen, however, thats not everyone's situation. It kills me how close minded and secure some people think they are. And lets be honest these cars aren't hard to steal, there are major theft rings here just for these vehicles.

You'll "get paid", wait I mean "get PAID" Your "collector car" insurance makes you feel safe?
    I care more about my car than getting PAID. You sound like you'd help a thief "find" it when you get tired of owning it. Thats just a weird way of describing what happens if your car gets stolen.

No, Im saying in the event of a total loss Im financially covered. Not 100% but i set the value where i could replace it with a nice vette for cash to ease my pain. I don't go around worrying about something happening to it. The knowledge Ive gained over the years working on it i will have for a lifetime. At the end of the day its just a car, I would get over it.....but i'd never get tired of owning it, and dont insinuate I'd commit insurance fraud asshole. You dont know me.
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    it's no different than me walking up to your car and reading the VIN off the windshield.
    On my vehicle... I pushed a piece of material down there as to cover up the majority of the VIN.

Not sure why, I just don't like the idea of someone being able to see my VIN... maybe someone might want to file a lost title claim and try to steal me vehicle, legally!

I know the state government probably doesn't care and would award the vehicle to whoever filed a lost title.

Anybody know of any actual cases where this has happened???