Thread: Debating DS or HPtuner

Tuner in Training

Debating DS or HPtuner

Trying to figure out the pro and cons.

I have a DS for my SRT4. I don't like that I would have to get CMR to do my own tune or keep paying a tuner. However the same handheld worked on my 5.0 and had based tunes.

HPtuner, does it come with base tunes from different cars and ECUs? Are there any good turners that use HP for Mopars or it pretty much DS? DS comes with some precanned tunes, same with HP?

About my car... It is a 2015 Charger R/T 5.7L. I have a variable runner intake 6.4L Manifold with 6.4 injectors. I also have SRT factory shorty headers and mids. I'd like to swap a 6.4 cam in to it also.

Does HPtuners have any base tunes that can get my close to this setup? Can you enable ECU support to control the intake? The 6.4 ecu and 5.7 hemi trucks do.

I have tuned AEM and 80s Shelby Dodges. I can find my way around but I am no pro.

One last question, can I use HPtuners to adjust the DS tune that is already on my SRT4?

Thanks

Tuner
    it does not come with basetunes. However you can pull your current tune off your car and edit it with HPT. Everything with hpt is diy unless you just run a log and have it remote tuned. but if that's the case just pay someone to tune the car. yes you can use hpt to read and edit your current DS tune.

I'll be honest, I really want to try a DS just to see how they differ but for me I initially based my decision on the ability to use the HPT on multiple vehicles. I love my Challenger but I also own 2 GMs. I don't want to own multiple tuners. Also, as stated above, when I read the forums I notice that the majority of DS owners buy a tuner and then pay someone to tune their car. If I lived in a very remote location I see the point but that's not the case with everyone.
    Finally, I want to control and understand the changes. You end up getting to the point when you can sense something is wrong and know quickly what to look for in logs to help troubleshoot. I learned MAF tuning on my GM and now I understand a lot more about SD tuning with the Dodge.
    I "think" .. but not 100% certain, but it was my impression that it didn't cost extra to hook your 5v wideband input into your DS? That's a plus.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Senior Tuner
    At 2500.00 for a single brand license, you're not missing much.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Trying to figure out the pro and cons.

Are there any good turners that use HP for Mopars or it pretty much DS? DS comes with some precanned tunes, same with HP?

Thanks
    To answer that question.. yes, I know that Mike at OST uses HPT and I noticed in the Dodge Transmission thread that AJ (Hemituner) apparently has HPT. There is another guy, Jay Green, out of Texas who just picked up HPT and he has been doing some good things on Dodge pickups.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker