Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: V3 Scanner External MPVI channels freezing

Has anyone else verified that a different laptop (with the same scanner channels/layout, MPVI interface and vehicle) works, where the previous laptop doesn't?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    I will try my wife's laptop and report back today.

Also, do you guys have any weird anti virus or anti malware stuff?

I just tried a fresh install of windows 10 on my surface pro (original), and had no issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Never got a chance to mess with my car today, sorry.

As for my surface (pro 3 for me), I don't have anything but vcm suite, steam and office. No antivirus.

Ran scans again with second laptop (Dell). After 3 minutes the scan failed showing only wideband data nothing else.

2/19/2016 11:07:06 PM
    VCM Suite Product: VCM Scanner 3.0.27

Operating System: Windows 10
    Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.42000
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
    Available Memory: 2,220 MB

[Specific Vehicle]
    2012 Chevrolet Camaro (8 cyl), 86ABD2K320255E6D, [ZL1], (GM: 2)

Hmm... can you try a different USB cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Joe, just a heads up from what I can tell the operating system doesn't matter, we've had at least 1 customer with win 7, win 8 & win 10 having the issue. Thus far the ONLY commonality has been intel i series processors ie I3, I5, I7 and the one customer that switched to an amd laptop the issue went away...
    Hmmm that is interesting. I don't remember this ever happening on my old laptop (core 2 duo)

Today was the first day I used my new laptop (i7) and was by far the worst in terms of external inputs freezing that I've ever seen. I could rarely get past the 5 minute mark without them freezing

Far from definitive but I'll try swapping between laptops next time it's acting up to see if it's only on the one machine or if it happens on both

Advanced Tuner
    I had another freeze up in under three minutes logging. I disabled the MPVI and logged fine the rest of the evening.
    Both my laptops are W7 Intel I5 based devices with 8GB.

2/21/2016 1:04:39 PM
    VCM Suite Product: VCM Scanner 3.1.45 Beta

Operating System: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
    Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.34209
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Available Memory: 4,188 MB

Tuner in Training
    wanted to note I tried something the other day could just be a weird occurence but I connected and hit record just a second before starting the car. was able to log about 36 minutes before logging issues. what do you mean disabled the mpvi?

I did try a different t cable. I bought a shielded cable with gold connectors. Made no difference.

As an FYI: had to log for a SD tune. ran 2.24 for 90 minutes of logging. no issues. tried 3.X with only the needed PIDS. Still stopped after about 5 minutes.

Tuner in Training
    If I had a copy of 2.24 I'd do comparison tests logging with that as well the record feature works without issue so far with 3.0 so I'm glad I can do my tuning that way until this is fixed

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder09 View Post
    what do you mean disabled the mpvi?
    Removed it from my channel display.

As described earlier, as long as I'm not requesting input from the MPVI I don't have problems. Whenever I add the MPVI to my channels I get the intermittent lockups - even if it isn't connected to an input. Sometimes my wideband is installed on one of my other cars and I don't need to move it but the input is still active because I forgot to take it out of the display.
    Last edited by gofastwclass; 02-22-2016 at 07:07 AM.

For those experiencing the freezing/locking up, does it still have these symptoms if you're logging the car in the key on, engine off state?

Yes i have the lockup KOEO

Advanced Tuner
    Key on, engine off - E38, 3.1.51 beta, three logs: 5, 7 and 30 minutes without lockup. I'll try a P01 vehicle in a bit.

ok, so whats it do with key on engine on. I need you guys to try to isolate it to certain cases, etc..

Also, please provide info with your replies,... your pc specs, vehicle specs, what works, what doesn't etc.. it's too hard to go back and look at your post history to find history for your specific application.

We've tested almost every in house device we have and cannot duplicate this issue at all.

For those affected by this issue, and have already contacted support for beta access, please use beta 3.1.53 (just published) and do the following test:

Open VCM Scanner and connect and scan the vehicle as you normally would.
    After the scanner has stopped reporting data, wait 5 seconds, hit the stop icon, then the disconnect icon, then close VCM Scanner.
    Send your debug.dat file, located in "MyDoc\HP Tuners\Settings\" to support with a reference to this thread.

Don't forget to include your laptop specs, vehicle information, and any details you might have found that are related to this issue, what works, what doesn't, etc...

Tuner in Training
    Keith I have a debug dat ready to send once I get back to Internet access with my laptop

Tuner in Training
    i seem to also found a pattern. on first log with cold start ill connect and hit record right before i start the car. the initial log will log everything fine for usually atleast 25 minutes. (i let the car idle to warm up before driving takes a few minutes). after first scan then copying adjustments to the tune flashing and running scanner again it will stop logging data within minutes. have tried closing and reopening scanner, disconnect-connect, everything i can think of. sending debug file to support now.