Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Speed Shift Point vs Converter Lockup

8 Speed Shift Point vs Converter Lockup

Is it just me or does the converter unlock for shifts 1 > 2 and 2 > 3 and then stay locked through the shifts for the rest 3 > 8 (and the 8 > 3 downshifts as well)?

I don't know about everyone else, but the 8 speed in the 1500 6.2 is clunky as hell.
    8speed.jpg

Tuner
    Take a look at a Corvette A8 file on the table for the TCC lock/unlock and you can see that the apply happens at a much lower speed. I wonder why they made the trucks stay unlocked??? I am thinking that the 27 mph in the Corvette file is still way too high and results in that 'mushy' shift feeling. Any other thoughts?

I just copied and pasted the Vette TCC tables into the truck with excellent results.

Tuner
    Well, just what differences did you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I just copied and pasted the Vette TCC tables into the truck with excellent results.
    That's good to know. Have to remember that one. You going to have a vette tune with 3.73 gears.

Much less transmission activity while accelerating and decelerating. It's like the truck was going through 100 different motions to get from gear to gear either up or down and the timing of each was off (shift vs unlock/lock).

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    That's good to know. Have to remember that one. You going to have a vette tune with 3.73 gears.
    what do you mean about the vette 3.73 tune?

Just making a joke out of the 2.40 gears these new stingray come with. They will run 200mph in 5th gear speed limiter set to @203 mph lol. Am amazed they are engaging the tcc early as they are with the high gear ratio. Good to know it smoothed your clunking out.

ah, 10-4

I am unable to license my new Silverado 6.2/8l90. You have to do anything special to yours? I have latest update.
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

Tuning Addict
    May be a new operating system depending on when you purchased your truck or whether or not you recently had it to the dealer for an update. In which case you would need to email tech support while attached to the vehicle.

Only reason I say this is because GM just came out with a "fix" for the TCC shudder that these earlier 8speeds are experiancing about 2 to 3 weeks ago. If yours has had the update it might possibly have a different OS.

Otherwise nothing special to license the last one I did. Just can't tune the 15's yet apparently since no scanner will work with them...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Ok... thanks for info. I had already sent tech support my info log and tune file just before posting here but figured that I would try the forum while I wait on their response. Truck only has 160 miles on it so if anything its probably a good thing that it wouldn't take my credits... I just got an extended warranty..
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

There is only one 8 speed OS currently and it is supported. Just need the latest 2.25.

I downloaded latest yesterday and it is 2.24.1161.

I guess I'll just wait for Tech Support to give me an update whenever they can get around to it.
    Last edited by mm_n_p; 06-13-2015 at 03:09 PM.

The newest Beta is preventing me from writing my TCM. :-( my truck is down and I was forced to drive my vette all day. :-(

Tuner
    I thought that I had posted this earlier, but it didn't show up here. Anyway, I mentioned that Higgs might be interested in a service bulletin about the A8's. It is number 14-07-30-100A and deals with the adaptive strategy on the A8 transmission. I was wondering how fast a person would be going if they used the C4 learning procedure that they mention.

I've had all the flashes and recalls that apply to the A8. The last one was for TCC lockup pressure. I had it done but don't really notice any difference. I switched to an older version of HPT Beta and flashed the TCM again with my calibration.

Tuner
    This isn't a flash or recall. It tells what to do to affect different areas of the shifting process if something doesn't feel right.

Everything feels right to me.

Tuner
    Higgs, if everything feels right to you, I am not sure why you started this thread. Anyway, these forums are for many people and I believe in SHARING the information here. Perhaps others will find this service bulletin usefull if they have the A8. Here is the link to it:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...t-adaption.pdf