Thread: 2012 Camaro Procharged high IATs

2012 Camaro Procharged high IATs

I was just wondering what everyone else is seeing for IATs on Zeta bodied Procharged cars. The car has a camshaft, long tubes, and I am pretty sure has the basic P1SC kit with the smaller intercooler and piping. The MAF is located in the top tank of the FMIC. I imagine the air filter/air intake grabbing air over the header on the drive side isn't helping matters. The dyno pull starts around 90*F and ends around 185*F. The blower has a 4.25" pulley with the OEM lower and I am seeing 138 kpa (~5.5 psi) of boost. Guess it is time for a methanol kit, bigger blower, and/or bigger intercooler.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

Advanced Tuner
    What is the weather like during the pulls?

I was going from 90-170 on 9psi and D1 kit yesterday but 90* inside the shop and really high humidity.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

yeah very common with that intercooler... i always sell the customer on the larger 1000hp intercooler.... that one functions nicely
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by rynez06 View Post
    yeah very common with that intercooler... I always sell the customer on the larger 1000hp intercooler.... That one functions nicely

this!
    G-FORCE Motorsports
    1941 CR 129 Pearland TX 77581
    281-993-5451 PH 281-993-5421 FAX

www.gforce-tx.com
    [email protected]
    PCM Tuner LSX and SCT <-> How Much Force Can You Take??
    2009 CTS-V 630 RWHP 10.90 @ 129mph

Yeah weather was hot and sticky. I didn't sell or do the I initial install because I always upgrade to stage II and D1SC not matter what. I have learned people are always going to want to go faster. The pulls start around 50 mph and end around 160 mph. My fans are decent but I don't have 100+ mph airflow. I haven't driven this on the street yet but does this intercooler do okay on the street with real airflow?

GeraldH-before-&-after.gif

Well doesn't matter how much airflow it has or how cool it is. The basic intercooler is just getting its ass kicked at 5.8 psi. So bang for the buck what is the better upgrade a different FMIC or Methanol?

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

methanol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JnJSpdShop View Post
    GeraldH-before-&-after.gif

Well doesn't matter how much airflow it has or how cool it is. The basic intercooler is just getting its ass kicked at 5.8 psi. So bang for the buck what is the better upgrade a different FMIC or Methanol?
    Relocating the air filter helps a lot, we have used the Vortech intake pipe that locates the filter next to the radiator support and improved IAT Tremendously.

Ted.

Relocating the air filter helps a lot, we have used the Vortech intake pipe that locates the filter next to the radiator support and improved IAT Tremendously.
    How does the location of the filter help that much with IATs given the small intercooler's ability (or lackthereof) to cool down the compressed air?

Yes you can start out with cooler air to begin with, but by the end of the run it won't really matter as it will get just as hot as before. Once the blower gets going and starts compressing the air it's all up to the intercooler really to keep temps in check and has very little to do with the intake air temps at the filter. Does it make that much of a difference if you go from ambient temps to 185* at the end of the run compared to his run going from 90* to 185*?
    Last edited by EFI; 09-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Your currently pulling air right off the headers then adding more heat to it.

Starting with cooler air you finish with cooler air, I promise it works, I have done this several times.

I stock the Vortech intake tube if your interested.

Ted.

Advanced Tuner
    Ted is absolutely right. I have done this filter relocation on several cars and have seen back to back improvements. The thing is though, the intercooler still sucks. BUT since the customer is probably gonna stick with the P1sc for a while due to upgrade costs, put a good methanol system on their. Im personally a big fan of the Alky Control and Aquamist systems. The alky control kit is the cheaper of the two, but with great quality. The newer Aquamist systems provide amazing control over methanol flow characteristics because its constant pressure with PW modulated solenoid..