Thread: 2014 Silverado tuning and warranty issues (speedo calibaration)

2014 Silverado tuning and warranty issues (speedo calibaration)

I have a couple friends that went out and bought 2014 Silverado's. One has lifted his already and put 35's on it and wants his speedometer calibrated for obvious reasons. I talked to my dealer and they said that they suggest against this because it will void the warranty, in the same breath they also told me that the speedo will automatically adjust itself over time. Well that made me believe in Santa all over again but I still have this uneasy feeling about not being able to adjust something as simple as the gear calculations without jeopardizing his drivetrain warranty (assuming he has any hard part failures and it is checked)

Its my understanding that there is no flash counter per say, but there is an event log that records any CVN number changes. My question is what changes a CVN value? Is this CVN calculated by all values in the ECU which ANY small change ANYWHERE would change this CVN value? Or is the CVN a number that just corresponds to the tune in each vehicle, and the checksum values are based on say, network ID/VIN/and module serial number and things like that. If that's the case... I can see Hypertech and other generic canned tunes changing the CVN and voiding the warranty. I have done a lot of research and have no hard evidence of a voided warranty after somebody has made changes with HPtuners or the other platform, just some hit an miss good info mixed in with a bunch of jaw flapping from people that have no idea.

Also... One of the canned tune companies are swearing that their tunes are not traceable in the Global A vehicles, supposedly because they want you to upload your original tune and they will make changes to it which is suppose to be the trick.

Can somebody on here clear ANY of this up?
    Last edited by mm_n_p; 02-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

Any single parameter change in the calibration will trigger a CVN change. If you make a claim and the technician happens to look at the CVN history, they will notice the change and most likely void the warranty.

So...If that is the case then there would already be a history log started of CVN changes just from the dealer flashing for the warranty recall? If that's the case then they would all have to be tracked every time the dealer flashes it.
    Last edited by mm_n_p; 02-18-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

Quote Originally Posted by mm_n_p View Post
    So...If that is the case then there would already be a history log started of CVN changes just from the dealer flashing for the warranty recall? If that's the case then they would all have to be tracked every time the dealer flashes it.
    Yes, dealer flashes get logged as well but technicians are able to access resources showing the correct CVN for each legitimate update.