Thread: no open ports!

no open ports!

Thought this was a fixed bug???

I had a radioshack usb <-> serial adapter that has been working great with hptuners. Until this problem. So I figured it was the radioshack adapter that was messed up so I went to Best Buy today and bought the IO gear $29 adapter. Installed it after uninstalling the radioshack one, and I still get the same errors in HPTUNERS.

Now it still is coming up with the "No Open Ports". What gives? I've tried uninstalling the USB driver software and reinstalling it... no luck. I've tried uninstalling the usb driver stuff, and then uninstalling the COM ports that it made and still no luck. Why won't it release these ports???? Or why won't it use a different port thats not in use??? I need serious help. Nothing has been installed on the computer that would be using these ports. I use win XP which i should probably trash anyways.

I'd like to do a fresh reinstall of hptuners on my laptop and also install it on my desktop to see if its the adapter but I've left my hptuners install disk at my apartment.

Any help is appreciated, email me spike1n1 at gmail.com

Re: no open ports!

No open ports means there are no available com ports to windows to check for an HP Tuners device.

First thing the software does when trying to make a connection is locate open com ports that are available for communications.. If windows will not release the comm port or the other device (if there is such) that is using it will not release it, then the HP Tuners software will be unable to access any physical com port for communications.

If a port does exist but is in use, the software cannot kick whatever device is using it off.

Double check your USB/Serial converter and drivers. Also double check to see that windows recognizes it as a serial port.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Any other suggestions??? Suppose you could send me another copy of hptuners so I dont have to wait 2 weeks to reinstall. i can verify my email/cable # if you want.

the problem is related to your USB device. Some USB devices don;t work correctly if inserted into the USB adapter with something plugged into them and powered up, i know the Targus ones don't, they don't create a com port at all in that scenario (they also then blue screen the computer after you run the scanner for a while).

The other thing to check is the USB adapter is installing to a com port between com 1 and com 6. Some USB devices install to crazy numbers like com 15.

The "No open ports" error is purely an issue between windows and your USB adapter.

email us at [email protected] with details of the com port number your USB device is creating in windows device manager.
    I count sheep in hex...

Okay then. I don't believe it is the USB to serial device. Why might you ask??

Well I found that when I pluged my iogear usb-serial adapter with a serial mouse on the serial side and pluged in the USB side, Windows picked it up and said serial device - serial mouse. And I could use the Serial mouse through all the com ports. After doing this I tried it with my Radio Shack adapter, and it worked there as well.

So we figured something had to be pluged into the serial part of the USB adapter. So we pluged in the hptuners cable into it and pluged in the USB....

It detected the usb cable adapter... and didnt say anything after that... anyways we opened up VCM scanner and clicked connect.... held our breath and there it was "No Open Ports" *argh*!!!!! We then proceeded to passout from holding our breath.

So we figured maybe it needs some interfacing data bceause when you move the mouse it supplies data to the pins and the HPtuners really wasn't attached to anything that could give data to the pins unless it was attached to the car... well you get the idea, we went to my car and turned the key to ON, waited the 15 seconds or so and hit connect. Nope nada. No Open Ports.

BUT we did find this much, the iogear's LED light was flashing while the key was in the ON position. So that means that data is getting from the car, through the hptuners little box (whatever you call it) through the cable.

Since I've been having problems with the serial port, thinking something is using the serial port, I had downloaded a program that lets you view data over the Serial connector.

Low and behold the program I had downloaded was picking up data being sent over the serial connector. So this makes me lean more towards the HPtuners again and not the adapter or windows. Maybe I need a fresh Install of HPtuners. I did recently update to 1.5 and just started to get my problems.

A few questions, is the data that the car computer sends over the serial port suppose to be in ASCII or binary or something else?

Also my 56k modem on my laptop uses com port 3, I changed it to a higher port ( 8 ). Does Hptuners scan com ports to see if they're in use and if they are does it stop when it only sees that one port is in use??

Just read my email.... fixed the com setting from 6 to 1 (which is what the adapter is using) and it works now. Thanks Chris.

Maybe the com setting should be something that can be viewed from the preferences/settings menu?

ok this is a bug and will be fixed. Glad it is working

I count sheep in hex...

same problem here, io gear, was working fine, then no open ports error, how to fix?

What com port is your IO gear being given?

well, depends on where I plug it into, first it was 6, then 5, then 15, so I made it 1. changed all of the settings to reflect those in the help in the suite. And nothing, disabled virus software, antispy, nothing, updated windows nothing, drug my desktop down stairs, and it worked. WTF is going on here. Seriously is this sometype of bug in need of fixing? Or is there something I am missing? If I had to guess windows xp service pack 2 is involved, b/c it was fine before than. Also my desktop it 2000 professional. Any Ideas, and no desktop in the car is not an option. Please help

Senior Tuner

ok, I take a look, just wondering still using 1.3.1 version never, updated could this be an issue?

hmm, read but the question is why do I need to do all of that, first off the thing worked fine since july of 2004 when I got the new laptop and the adapter. highly doubt that the thing just stopped working, I even tried a new cable adapter?

well, I gave it a whirl, and my com port is working, any other suggestions?

Senior Tuner
    If you are using version 1.3.1, you are missing out on a lot of functional software updates.

What are the exact settings for the USB to Serial adapter?
    Do you have a com3 present without the USB adapter plugged in?

-Ken

Am I able to just upgrade to the new 1.7? Plus another question, I saw you have new interface cables, can I just upgrade to a USB cable, I mean, this is most likely a computer issue, because my other computer works fine, with the cable, plus I always thought the serial was dead technology, plus the adapter was always I little mickey mouse to me.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-19-2006 at 01:37 PM.

All your upgrades are available on the customer login page. 1.x updates and the new 2.x releases as well.

For interface upgrade questions, please e-mail us at sales at hptuners.com.