Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Timing Retarding??

Ignition Timing Retarding??

2001 Grand Prix GTP

Immediatley after the car makes the 2-3 shift (possibly 1-2also but cant tell due to tire spin) the computer retards timing from 16 to 5 degrees and stays at 5 for about 1 second then returns back just as fast as it went down.

I have all torque management off i have even gone as far as trying to turn off the master enable for the transmission torque management. I cant seem to make it quit.

There is no knock at all, the car is at 11psi no boost drop, I have tried a bit of everything. Anyone got ideas???

traction control??
    -Scott -

I tried it both ways it still does it.

Have you zeroed the Torque Management tables in the transmission section?

Just thinking out loud...

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

yes i did. basically its like the hp tuners cant control what is actually happening in the computer.

can you post a log please
    -Scott -

A bin (hpt) would be helpful too.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

I will post a log as soon as i get to the shop. My labtop is there.

Potential Tuner

I have same problem too.

I have the same problem and here is my scan? TCS off during this run let me know what you think? I think it might be because I'm seeing a calc CylAir over .92 at (g/cyl). I'm working on the tune and have a SLP intake, 3.4 pully, colder plugs, 180 stat, and yes I know this might be part of the problem stock exhaust. It's getting removed very soon just didn't have the cash due to a divorce. I'm planning on stock manifolds into a 3in downpipe and high flow cat with cat back in coulpe weeks. I haven't been beating on the car too bad since I've gotten the HPtuner but have been trying to learn how to use this tool as best as possible to get the car to run as best as possible as it sits.

Potential Tuner

here is my tune.

this is my tune for my 2002 GTP.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You still have a ton of TM enabled tallguy66, TM pulls timing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

TM tables?

Bill,

What would be the proper setting on the TM tables to eliminate this without adding excess wear to the trans?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sorry but you generally cannot Make the pie & eat it too, its one or the other unless you want to attempt to find some common ground on your own its impossible to say xx% and everything will be fine.

Potential Tuner

0'ing out the TM tables

Bill,

I've compared several well know aftermarket tunes and they typically 0 out the TM tables. Are the TM table #'s the actual amount of timing reduction at each given variable? This would mean Torque Reduction is actually Timing Reduction correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes tq management pulls timing.

Senior Tuner
    *Just an idea*
    What do you have your TC AFR set to? Make it the same as your PE AFR. Not a clue if this may be affecting it or not but might be worth a quick look.(TriangleSpeedShop)

Potential Tuner

More to come...

Bill,

Thanks for the advice and info I appreciate it. I'll mess around with the TM tables and try some more Trans tuning to see what I think feels right. With the 2002's it sucks that I don't have the Performance Shift option and have to copy all the Performance tables into the Normal Tables. I've read on other 3800 boards that say heat usually IS NOT the main reason for trans failures in these cars but I'm skeptical running the trans a higher pressures all the time. On the other hand faster shifts should equal less friction and in turn lower overall trans temps. Besides I don't mind firm shifts as long as they don't slam or bang from gear to gear. I have also tried running a 99 PCM tune in my car but it keep throwing P1404 and I never figured out why but the DCT tables are different for each car so I assume it had something to do with that. Kinda of odd becuase I copied over all the same variables into my freinds 99 with similar mods and he has yet to throw a SES but the same tune in my car throws the P1404 every time when I use his 1999 PCM platform but never throws the SES on the 2002 PCM platfrom.

Torque abuse spark retard -- pulls timing...

Potential Tuner

thanks..

I pulled the TM and that did the trick. Now I moving on too tuning this thing to run on 87, a whole new bag of tricks trying to kill KR.

Now I moving on too tuning this thing to run on 87
    Have fun, I tried tuning for 87, it wasn't pretty...had to go from 3.0 pulley to a 3.2 *and* pull 4* timing. Just not worth it for me.