Thread: Is It Fried?

Tuner in Training

Is It Fried?

I tried to flash an update to my tune file and accidentally clicked write entire instead of write calibration. Part way through it failed. Tried to flash again and it says it cant find the vcm. The car battery is fully charged. I have checked the pins on the diagnostic port and 2 have ground and 1 has 12.6 volts. I can plug my hp tuners into my pickup and it will find and read my pickup info. Have tried multiple time to flash and it always say the same thing. Is the pcm fried or do i still have any options left to try? help please

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You can try disconnecting the battery to reestablish comms and then try finishing the write entire, if it still fails then the pcm is likely done.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I have tried that also. Assuming its fried, what do I need to look for in a different pcm? Its out of a 2000 camaro with a 5.7 ls1. Do I need to find one out of that year and motor or is there some flexibility? After I find the proper pcm then is it as easy as flashing my tune to it. I assume i will have to license the new pcm. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    anybody have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by snettell View Post
    ... what do I need to look for in a different pcm? Its out of a 2000 camaro with a 5.7 ls1 ...
    Any 512 Kb P01 PCM should work. Service Number 09354896 (1999-2000) or 12200411 (2001-2002).

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Shrek. Last questions I hope. As long as it has some kind of tune installed in it, I should be able to go right ahead and install my tune through the write calibration process. Correct? Will there be some kind of vin no question that i will have to deal with?
    Last edited by snettell; 05-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.