Thread: Why is my advance so low!?

Tuner in Training

Why is my advance so low!?

here is the tune i'm running and a scan of me running at the track! WTF is up? http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=7172907
    04 gto M6, Fast 90 intake Holly 90 TB, 243 heads no work done, TSP Torquer V2 cam, Procharger
    P1SC, 40lb injectors

Advanced Tuner

Re: Why is my advance so low!?

have you got torque management turned off
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Tuner in Training

yes
    04 gto M6, Fast 90 intake Holly 90 TB, 243 heads no work done, TSP Torquer V2 cam, Procharger
    P1SC, 40lb injectors

Advanced Tuner

dude i could be wrong but i just opened up your tune file and im pretty sure you still have tourqe managemnt on.
    Try this
    go into torque management, in the general tab zero out the cells under Retart vs rpm and Aggressive retart vs rpm and see if that fixes the problem

Remember to save the changes on a different bin file incase you need to put the old values back in
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Senior Tuner

It would be kinder to store it as a .zip; I don't have a
    .rar archive utility (and not much space left for more
    oddball byte-hog programs).

You want to be looking at spark advance vs where you
    think you are in the table, which means also the Dynamic
    Cylinder Air PID; look at knock retard and see if it's pulling.
    You need to look at the Knock Learn Factor to see if
    you're in the high octane table or suffering from a
    history of pinging.

Once you know who's stealing then you can beat them
    down.

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    It would be kinder to store it as a .zip; I don't have a
    .rar archive utility (and not much space left for more
    oddball byte-hog programs).

You want to be looking at spark advance vs where you
    think you are in the table, which means also the Dynamic
    Cylinder Air PID; look at knock retard and see if it's pulling.
    You need to look at the Knock Learn Factor to see if
    you're in the high octane table or suffering from a
    history of pinging.

Once you know who's stealing then you can beat them
    down.
    Could you elaborate on how to diagnose this problem? My spark dips to 0 when i launch. In fact, even when i put it in drive then just touch the throttle it goes to 0. major hesitation. My wot runs are truly f'd up too. Bogs down bad for the first several seconds. if i could figure out how to post up a log or a tune i'd be glad to.
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

Advanced Tuner

I think that basically Jimmyblue is saying to log with some of the items in the table display changed , with the correct PID's loaded you should get a reading from the one (or one's) that is causing you the trouble .
    You will need to remove a few items first , 02 Voltage , inj pulse width , long and short term fuel trims arent really needed for checking you’re timing .

For items to log , i would look at :

Base Advance (this one should tell you the timing that you should be getting)
    Coolant Advance
    IAT Advance
    Smoothing Advance (if its a manual)
    Torque Mgt Advance
    AFR Advance

(in the engine/advance section of the pid list)

Burst Knock Retard
    Knock Learn Factor (If it's 1.00 then you're on the high table and 0.00 is low)
    Knock Retard (if youre not loging it already)

(in the engine/retard section of the pid list)

Tuner in Training

Can someone throw some information my way. How do you make the vehicle switch to the high table?
    Knock Learn Factor (If it's 1.00 then you're on the high table and 0.00 is low)
    What needs to be changed and where?
    I ran a scan and based on the above information looks like im running on the low table.

Just had a thought. If maf frequency is set to 0 does this totally disable the switching to the high table?? Might change it back with the maf frequency set back to 13500 standard and see if it switches.
    Any thoughts?

regards

Advanced Tuner

yes if the maf fail frequency is set to 0 or you have the maf unplugged then you will be running on the low table as you are telling the pcm that the maf is faulty .
    When you put you’re car in SD mode this way the car will use the low table only, witch is why most copy their high table over the low table .

If you enable you’re maf again (ie set the fail frequency back to13500 or plug it in) then it will work from both tables but it will take time to work its way back to the high table (provided you have minimal kr), i have done this with my car .

over a period of a few days driving to and from work (half hour trip one way) the pcm worked its way back to the high table .

The only way to set it to the high table quickly is to do a pcm re-set .
    from what i understand Flashscan will do this when you flash the pcm with it.

One way to get your car to use the high table while in SD mode is to use the 1 bar sd package hpt has witch is one reason to buy it .

Tuner in Training

Thanks for your reply Arron appreciate your response.

Regards

Advanced Tuner

Or just copy over your hi-lo tables so they are the same. Its overrated running dual spark tables anyway. The knock learn takes too long to re-learn and I want max. power all the time.