Thread: Question before making purchase

Potential Tuner

Question before making purchase

Can any joe blow do this? I know very little about cars. Want to learn. Am very interested in learning how to tune my own car, but don't know where to start? I don't want to buy this program and then not know how to use it. Where do I get the info on where to start? How do I learn how to do the tune? Would be willing to take a class if that would help! Any suggestions welcome! Or should I not even try it! thanks.

Re: Question before making purchase

Quote Originally Posted by TARA02
    Can any joe blow do this? I know very little about cars. Want to learn. Am very interested in learning how to tune my own car, but don't know where to start? I don't want to buy this program and then not know how to use it. Where do I get the info on where to start? How do I learn how to do the tune? Would be willing to take a class if that would help! Any suggestions welcome! Or should I not even try it! thanks.
    You can do it if you apply the time needed to learn the basics. I would suggest that you do a search on OBD-II and learn as much as you can about it, read the HP Tuner's help file, and read some of how-to's on here and LS1Tech.com.

If you want to take a class, I would highly recommend EFI University's EFI-101 and EFI Advanced classes. They will introduce the concepts and theories and apply them to ECM tuning.

http://www.efi101.com
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06

You can do it if you apply the time needed to learn the basics. I would suggest that you do a search on OBD-II and learn as much as you can about it, read the HP Tuner's help file, and read some of how-to's on here and LS1Tech.com.

If you want to take a class, I would highly recommend EFI University's EFI-101 and EFI Advanced classes. They will introduce the concepts and theories and apply them to ECM tuning.

http://www.efi101.com
    werd...it really depends on your learning curve & if you actually want to learn on your own. I was kinda forced my hand so learned as much as I could in the weeks before I got mine & then just went out and did it...ive used several different scanners in the past so the scanning portion was very easy to learn...the tuning part really isnt that bad if you understand the fundamentals of an engine & what parts are installed on yours...but there still is alot of learning to be done even with all that going for you, but if you look you'll find more then enough information to get started even with radical setups as long as you have the right tools.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

Thanks. I really want to learn how to do this. There aren't too many people around here that tune cars - I only know of one. And I'm kind of at their mercy. Having problems with my car and I'm beginning to think they don't know how to fix it! So, I figured if I can learn how, I can tune it myself! Thanks for the info!