Thread: what if PCM is locked - can I reflash ?

Tuner in Training

what if PCM is locked - can I reflash ?

Trying to think ahead here guys, please help...

I had my 30th tuned with LS1Edit, and I'm pretty sure the tune is locked. Someone else with LS1edit could not read the tune.

I'm hoping HPTuners can read/tweak the tune. If not, can I reflash it using HPTuners with a 99 stock tune and start from there - or will I need to take it to the dealer to reflash it ?

What about VIN, I think I can set that with HPTuners, right ?

Anything else I should know ?

Thanks for the info !
    Rob (Bad30th)

Advanced Tuner

Re: what if PCM is locked - can I reflash ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad30th

I had my 30th tuned with LS1Edit, and I'm pretty sure the tune is locked. Someone else with LS1edit could not read the tune.

I'm hoping HPTuners can read/tweak the tune. If not, can I reflash it using HPTuners with a 99 stock tune and start from there - or will I need to take it to the dealer to reflash it ?

Thanks for the info !
    Rob (Bad30th)
    If the PCM is locked, then you will have to get the PCM flashed to a stock file. HP Tuners uses GM code in its stock configuration to access the seed/key and OSID.

If you cannot read the PCM, you cannot write to the PCM.

I work on the V6 PCM's and we have tuner companies like DHP, CYA, and others that use a locking method of disabling checksum routines. While HPTuners will not write to these PCM's, it can read them. Once the file is read, it can be changed at the hex level to work with HP Tuners software. You have to know alot about the OSID you are working with however to do these changes.

Your best solution is to get your tune parameters recorded on paper and then get a 2nd PCM that is stock and work on that one first. See if you can dupicate the performance level your current PCM is at. Once you are comfortable you have made it the same or better, you can get the LS1Edit PCM reflashed to stock and sell it, or keep it as a backup.

Loyde

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the info !
    Rob (Bad30th)
    Could it be that the car was tuned by someone with an unlimited programming license and the person that tried to read the file had a single vehicle license?

I have two PCMs for the same vehicle. When I was using LS1edit I tried to reflash the second PCM and couldn't, even though the PCM ran in the same vehicle and was programmed with the same VIN.

I also don't recall being able to "lock" a tune with LS1edit.

kw

unless LS1edit has changed their "lock" you will be able to read and write no problems.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Bingo ! I'm pretty sure that's the case, and I didn't even think of that...

I had the car dyno tuned by Mark at AAP, who probably had a unlimited LS1Edit license to tune cars (about a year later he passed away, RIP) - a buddy with LS1Edit tried to read the tune but couldn't, but I'm pretty sure he had the single user license.

Oooo, my hopes are up now... Can't wait - HPTuners should arrive Tuesday per my tracking #.

Thanks much for the replies guys.

Cheers,
    Bad30th

Quote Originally Posted by redshift
    Could it be that the car was tuned by someone with an unlimited programming license and the person that tried to read the file had a single vehicle license?

Tuner in Training

Good news and bad news !

Good news, HPTuners arrived today ! Yaay, thanks for the speedy turnaround guys.

Bad news, I cannot read the tune. I get "Security Access Denied - Invalid Authorization Code" when trying to read the VCM. According to the Help file, this means the tune is locked.

Next question - can I download a stock 99 A4 LS1 tune and flash/overwrite the locked VCM, or do I need to take it to a dealer and have them flash it ?

More good news is that I know all the things that need to be provided for in the tune and can take my time with it...

Thanks. The more I look at this software and the interface = the more I'm liking it, in spite of the locked tune.

Rob (Bad30th)

Advanced Tuner

Good news and bad news !

Good news, HPTuners arrived today ! Yaay, thanks for the speedy turnaround guys.

Bad news, I cannot read the tune. I get "Security Access Denied - Invalid Authorization Code" when trying to read the VCM. According to the Help file, this means the tune is locked.

Next question - can I download a stock 99 A4 LS1 tune and flash/overwrite the locked VCM, or do I need to take it to a dealer and have them flash it ?

More good news is that I know all the things that need to be provided for in the tune and can take my time with it...

Thanks. The more I look at this software and the interface = the more I'm liking it, in spite of the locked tune.

Rob (Bad30th)
    I think you are still in trouble. HP Tuners needs to address this also. I just ran into this very problem yesterday.

I have a locked PCM now from a customer that needed tuning. It appears the SEED is set to FFFF. In the fairness of the tune, HP Tuners in the least needs to set the software to WRITE to the PCM with a warning that all information inside the PCM is about to be erased with no recovery possible.

Not even my Tech 2 with SPS can write to this PCM. This is not good, I have a nice PCM that starts and runs the car forever but can never change.

The customer cannot go back to the tuner and ask them to unlock the PCM. The tuner sold his hardware.

I replaced the PCM for now so my customer can get back a PCM that is tuneable.

Loyde

Tuner in Training

Here's a screenshot of the error :
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...30_97_full.jpg

Does this mean I have to buy a new VCM ? I guess it can't write if it can't read so minimally I'll have to have a dealer try to flash it.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.
    Rob (Bad30th)

Quote Originally Posted by FastFieros

I think you are still in trouble. HP Tuners needs to address this also. I just ran into this very problem yesterday.

I have a locked PCM now from a customer that needed tuning. It appears the SEED is set to FFFF. In the fairness of the tune, HP Tuners in the least needs to set the software to WRITE to the PCM with a warning that all information inside the PCM is about to be erased with no recovery possible.

Not even my Tech 2 with SPS can write to this PCM. This is not good, I have a nice PCM that starts and runs the car forever but can never change.

The customer cannot go back to the tuner and ask them to unlock the PCM. The tuner sold his hardware.

I replaced the PCM for now so my customer can get back a PCM that is tuneable.

Loyde

Advanced Tuner

Here's a screenshot of the error :
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...30_97_full.jpg

Does this mean I have to buy a new VCM ? I guess it can't write if it can't read so minimally I'll have to have a dealer try to flash it.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.
    Rob (Bad30th)

You missed the part in my post that I already tried a Tech 2 with SPS software. That is what the GM dealers use. It times out with a security error also. Well, it didnt work on this GTP V6 VCM. Maybe you will have better luck.

Loyde

This is the double edged sword of locking PCM's. Unfortunately, the locksmith is a soldering iron and flash eeprom writer.

Chris...

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    This is the double edged sword of locking PCM's. Unfortunately, the locksmith is a soldering iron and flash eeprom writer.

Chris...

I have received the 1BAR SD software, wanted to check connection integrity before I flash the whole VCM. Clicked on rewrite VAT's/VIN, now i get the same message as 'Bad30th', have flashed the data segment many times before its not tuner locked, as far as I'm aware I am the only person who has flashed the VCM. I have tried rewriting the old BIN's and the new 1Bar SD bin. same security error every time.

Looks like I may have to do the locksmith part you talk of, can you give me further details, I have an EEPROM programmer 'Dataman S4', how big is this eeprom? is it like 32pin DIL, or a tiny thing with about 2 legs per mm? I have never looked inside the VCM yet. I'm hopeing it dont come to this, I will email Keith later today, just after information on the alternative you talk of.

Many Thanks

Dan.