Thread: constant cable error (works intermittantly)

Tuner

constant cable error (works intermittantly)

Hi guys,

sorry for yet another cable connecting thread. Ive read through all of the existing threads and tried the solutions with no luck.

here is my situation.

Ive got a 2000 Trans Am w/ Hp Tuners 1.6 running on a dell latitude 650cx.

My software had been working flawlessly since day one until about a 2/3 weeks ago. The first problem i had was when i was uploading a tune.

I recieved an error telling me that the OS did not match. i tried again and the tune uploaded fine. after that the scanning/uploading worked fine.

A few days later, my scanner would disconnect everyonce in awhile. i thought it was the cable because if i looped it around the e-brake handle it would work. I had to disconnect everything so i could have a passenger and since then nothing would work.

I tried a new cable on the pc side - nothing
    checked serial port settings - that worked once
    then nothing
    tried cleaning obd2 port - worked once
    then nothing
    pulled cable off complete - nothing.
    when i reconnected the cable - it would work when it rested against my leg but when i moved to the brake pedal the connection would drop (possibly obd2 side)

tried positions the eio box but couldnt get it "just" right.

yesterday, i disconnected all the cables from eachother, put the key inthe run position, pulled the accy fuse and then reconnected everything. cable worked for maybe 10 minutes. tried the same thing w/o any results.

later i pulled the fuse disconnected from the obd2 port and was able to log for 5 minutes but that was it. I tried the same steps server time - no change.

this morning in order to upload the tune, i had tried everything i had done previously and nothing worked. finally restarted the laptop w/ everything disconnected and then reconnected after a full boot. i was able to upload my tune. i waited to start scanning for 3 minutes but when i clicked connect, i got a "cable not found" error.

This whole situation is getting really frustrating since im trying to finish up my sd tune before friday.

what could it be? Ive tested the laptop by using the serial port on hyperterminal and it works fine.

im leaning towards a bad cable between the obd2/eio but i cant be certain since i cant eleminate all the variables.

ive tried the fuse
    checked voltage
    checked serial port settings
    changed serial port settings
    waited 10 mins
    waited for pc to intialize before connecting to serial port
    reconnected all cables.

the part that worries me the most is the os error i recieved that started it all. any other idea? or should i just spring for the better obd2 cable?

------------------- vs
    2000 Trans Am WS6 - Bright Red : 12.36 @ 110 - 1.832 60

228/232 .571/.588 113 LSA | JetHot LTs | Yank ST3500/2.5 | SLP lid

Senior Tuner

Re: constant cable error (works intermittantly)

Contact me via email and we will get the problem figured out.

Ken

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners

Contact me via email and we will get the problem figured out.

Ken
    If you could post the results (or pm or email) if you find the problem it would be appreciated as I still seem to still have problems that sound simular to this .
    Thanks
    Arron

Advanced Tuner

Try another serial cable

Advanced Tuner

well tried that again MNR-0 , bought a new cable to go from the laptop to the io and it worked for a while so i did my manifold and tb swap . it worked ok for a little while i had the car in the shed idling . so i took it for a test drive , all looked ok but before i got to the end of my street i glanced at the laptop to see the dreaded and all to familiar "attempting to re-connect" message . Its at about this point that i usually feel like engaging in my other hobby , pistol shooting

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    well tried that again MNR-0 , bought a new cable to go from the laptop to the io and it worked for a while so i did my manifold and tb swap . it worked ok for a little while i had the car in the shed idling . so i took it for a test drive , all looked ok but before i got to the end of my street i glanced at the laptop to see the dreaded and all to familiar "attempting to re-connect" message . Its at about this point that i usually feel like engaging in my other hobby , pistol shooting

i tried that as well with the same results...worked once. which was the reason for the post. i have yet to send the box out due to my work schedule and trying to find a small box to fit this thing in. hopefully ill get it out within the next 2 days.
    2000 Trans Am WS6 - Bright Red : 12.36 @ 110 - 1.832 60

228/232 .571/.588 113 LSA | JetHot LTs | Yank ST3500/2.5 | SLP lid

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ixc

i tried that as well with the same results...worked once. which was the reason for the post. i have yet to send the box out due to my work schedule and trying to find a small box to fit this thing in. hopefully ill get it out within the next 2 days.
    Well i am not to sure that I did anything differently but I have done two logs and two writes without a problem??? . The logs were about half an hour each . Just wish i knew what the problem is, wether it be the laptop, car (witch is just over six months old) or the hpt hardware.

Don't know if this will work for you.
    The trick that worked for me.
    Dual Booting the laptop.

I have a small part of my laptop harddrive setup with a
    'CLEAN' copy of just XP.
    No other programs but HP & keyspan.
    I just 'boot' the laptop to this OS when I need the HP programs.

It works really well.......

Dave

2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs