Thread: New to tuning- what do I need?

Potential Tuner

New to tuning- what do I need?

I want to change a few things in my tune and have been considering buying HP tuners. Would you guys recommend the standard or professional version for me?

I want to tune:

-Cold and warm start idle rpm- my cold start idle is at 1350 rpm which seems to high for a 230 duration cam.

-Throttle follower and cracker- On a cold start when moving at low speeds with my foot OFF the gas my car still accelerates slowly and even shifts into second and maybe third gear. I have a 230+ cam in my car and it is tuned to maintain 1400 rpm's when I'm driving at low speeds I'm assuming to prevent the car from stalling. Sometimes I have to fight it with my breaks to keep the car from driving off.

-Rich idle- my car has a strong smell of fuel at idle like its running too rich and liquid is coming out my exhaust tips. Do I need a wideband for this?

-Timing for nitrous

-Slight surge at low speed- when driving at speeds under 50 mph with the converter unlocked it drives like...vrooom..pause...vrooom...pause..vrooom..wit h light throttle applied. When I give it a moderate amount of gas it drives fine. (sorry hard to describe on a forum lol)

-Lock up speed for aftermarket torque converter
    Last edited by JScamaro; 06-27-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    2002 LE SS Camaro #706- 445/409 rwhp/rwtq
    Trickflow 215cc heads, Dominator 2 cam, Century Stage 4 4L60E, Circle D multidisk 4C converter, Racetronix fuel pump/injectors, Vengeance ported Fast intake, NW tb, FTRA, ARH, Gmmg, CME, Strano, Koni, and UMI suspension

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=22436

Senior Tuner
    Pro and a NGK wideband. Otherwise don't waste the $'s or your time. I promise you will regret it...
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Pro and a NGK wideband. Otherwise don't waste the $'s or your time. I promise you will regret it...
    whats wrong with innovate

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by viper1_2001 View Post
    whats wrong with innovate
    Nada'thing. Just partial to the NGK. I use a Fast Wideband myself. I really like them myself just haven't swapped anyone for my Fast dual wideband capable unit as of late. Personally I like it for its small package, ease of use ,and everyone seems to enjoy them without problems or hastle. Each to his own.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com