Thread: Reducing or setting PE delay to zero

Tuner in Training

Reducing or setting PE delay to zero

I heard that some of the professional tuners are setting the PE delay to zero. How do you do that through tuners? I didn't think that there was a delay. I would have thought that when the TPS and g/cyl load settings are tripped, PE would kick in immediately.

Anyway, as suggested in another thread by Screamin 03, I found some controls on PE delay. I opened up one of my 2003 Z06 bin files, and went into Engine>Fuel Control>Power Enrichment>Enrichment Rate. It was set at 1.00. I assume that means that PE comes on at full speed, whereas if it was less than 1.00, PE would come on slower. In the same path, under Enrichment Rate, I found there was another parameter called Mode Delay RPM, which was set at 5500 RPM. With these two parameters set as they were, does it mean that under the Mode Delay RPM, 5500, my PE would be delayed if Enrichment Rate was set at anything except 1.00. Is this correct??? Share a little of your PE delay experience please. Is there any advantage for having any delay

Paul

Advanced Tuner

Re: Reducing or setting PE delay to zero

ttt

??? ??? ???
    2007 CTS-V LS2

Advanced Tuner

Chris wrote this regarding pe delay the link to the thred where it is posted is above

on all cars the delay is 0, it is only used on truck cals. To to diable PE delay just set delay RPM low.

and MNR-O wrote this

There is no delay as such. If the RPM is below the delay RPM defined it will blend in PE at the PE enrichment rate. Thats why a lot of ppl. (incl. me) set their enrichment rate to 1. With a lower RPM delay you will see full PE at a lower RPM, in otehr words, PE will apply immediately above the RPM specified.

Normal practive is to set that RPM limit to the stall speed of your converter a little less than the take-off RPM for a manual. With an enrichment rate of 1 it effectively negates the delay RPM anyway. For cars that experience tip-in KR at WOT this is often the solution.

the enrichment rate is that rate at which fuel ramps from stoich to the PE desired AFR. eg. how fast it steps from eq ratio of 1.0 to whatever the PE is. 1 is the max, meaning as soon as you hit PE it commands your PE eq ratio and doesn't ramp at all.

I dunno why you would want to delay PE, but obviously in trucks there is a reason...

Setting PE Delay RPM to 0 will bypass PE Delay completely.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Thank you, gentlemen, for the excellent feedback.

As I understand it, if the enrichment rate is set at 1.0, there is no delay. That is fine and how my 03 was set from the factory.

I assume the RPM window would only come into play IF the enrichment rate was anything less than 1.0. Only folks with vehicles other than cars might have that situation.

My PE kicks on when I want it to, and you guys are great. Thank You.

Paul

PE Delay is totally seperate from enrichment rate. PE Delay is a delay between when the PE Mode thresholds are met and the actual PE enrichment begins.

Enrichment rate is the rate at which enrichment happens once PE Delay has expired. eg. when at stoich the F/A Multiplier (EQ ratio) is 1.0. For PE you might command 1.15 and the enrichment rate is the step rate from 1.0 to 1.15. An enrichment rate of 1.0 will get you from 1.0 to 1.15 in one step. A lower rate such as 0.01 would take 15 steps (or a longer ramptime) to get from 1.0 to 1.15.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

Are these the usual 0.025sec internal timesteps and (say)
    0.01 per?

no the Enrichment Rate is the actual step size. There are two other timers that dictate the step rate (ramp in and ramp out, in seconds) they are not in the editor.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...