Thread: Trans changes, take a look...

Trans changes, take a look...

I made some changes to my tranny going off of this guide: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3833. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Some of the parameters were changed kind of crudely for ex. shift speed and shift press. I started with the removal of t.m., and then i made the other changes to see if i could feel the difference... and boy did i! I was taught that a firm shifting trans would cause less wear on the tranny because of less slippage, but if this is detrimental to the health of my vehicle please let me know. Ive just never felt an auto shift that way, i chirped second hard at only 4500rpm! The trans in my car is stock with the exception of an external b&m trans cooler. And the mods are as follows: slp lid, k&n filter, tb bypass, 80mm tb, 160* stat, msd wires, lt's, ory, 3in. exhaust, oil catch can. Thanks for looking.
    Yulian
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 09-12-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    '01 M.R.M. TA A4 - A few bolt on's
    '02 CETA M6 - Semi stock

ttt
    '02 CETA M6 - Semi stock

might get more response if you posted in the tranny section....

moving to the tranny section.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Thank you, i didnt realize there was one. Now how about some advice... I was thinking i need to smooth out the shift press./speed tables going from left to right, but i still want a crisp shift at low rpm's, again to aid in prolonged trans life; and work its way up to a firm shift at wot. But around where should i start?

By the way, im not running this tune on my car currently, i set the shift press/speed back to stock and just left it without t.m. and the upped line press.
    '02 CETA M6 - Semi stock

Here's what I do with TM. Stock values multiplied by .25 to start.
    Then (Credit RussK!) Open your file and then open it again as a compare.
    Put it in compare mode so when you open the Shift Pressure tables in on the Shift Properties tab everything is "0".

Go to the Shift Pressure Normal table and from 400 tq on up put in "10" Then select from 400 ft lbs down to ~100 ft lbs and click on INTERPOLATE BETWEEN HORIZONTAL BOUNDS. Now you added some pressure. Test, change, retest, done!
    Always Support Our Troops!

Thanks for the advice. I was reading through this other thread where Russ K. said that from deleting tm another members trans got screwed up. (wouldnt go into second) Is that why you suggest multiplying the stock values by .25? Is totaly removing tm gonna have negative effects on my trans, or is this just a rare instance? Thanks again.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...475#post144475
    '02 CETA M6 - Semi stock

Generally speaking GM puts too much TM in there so you don't spill your Latte while driving.

So you can concieveably get a faster shift by putting/leaving some torque management in place. Remember it only pulls timing *during* the shift.

I tuned a Procharged Vette with 4.10 gears and the 4L60E. I trimmed the torque management to give the best shift times and shift RPM accuracy. TM can be your friend or enemy depending on how it's used and tuned.

Thanks for the help man. Now ive gone ahead and done the tm reduction by .25 on the stock settings in the trans. tm table. Would you also recomend donig this to the spark retard and torque loss % tables in the tm section of the engine table, or does that not have anything to do with the trans.? Also could you clear up what you did with the normal shift press. table, the #'s dont seem right. You said to put "10" from 400 trq on up, but stock it goes up to 90? And what exactly does that INTERPOLATE BETWEEN HORIZONTAL BOUNDS do, it changed the #'s around a bit when i did it from 400 down to 100 like you recomended? "Now you added some pressure." When you say this did you mean that by doing the above i added press., or did you mean to add press. in the "add press." table? Please take a look at the normal shift press table which is where im having the most trouble understanding. Sorry 'bout the long post and thanks again.
    Yulian
    '02 CETA M6 - Semi stock

Usually I only touch the Spark vs. Torque Reduction table. I usually do not drop it more than 50%.