Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to tuning? Step inside

Advanced Tuner

Arrow New to tuning? Step inside

Mod edit for updates:

HPT files go here to search for other user files!

Some helpful links

Thank you to the original poster but now this info is over a year old and we have new info to help us even more

DISABLE ALL TORQUE MANAGEMENT

Your a hardcore racer now why do you need a computer to tell you how much power you can have.

1: Open your editor, go to Edit>Transmission>Torque Management.
    2: Set Abuse Mode Enable False
    3: Set Abuse Mode RPM, Abuse Mode TPS and Abuse Mode Speed to 0
    4: click over on Abuse Mode Torque Reduction vs RPM. I am referring to An A4 camaro SS here so dunno about anyone else. Set all values in Normal to 0.
    5: You should now have NO TORQUE MANAGEMENT.

160 or 180* FAN CONTROL SETTINGS largely depend on your location. Cooler climates can get away with colder fan settings while hotter climates may need to raise their set temps. 160* stat may need high 170's to low 180's on temps while the 180* stat may need mid 180's to mid 190's.

IDLE TUNING

Some good things to scan:

LTIT (p/n, in gear depending on transmission and which settings you are looking to change)
    STIT
    RPM
    Spark
    ECT
    MAP

just to name a few...

Idle desired RPM: Depending on the cam and transmission type will effect your RPM settings. The reason for increasing RPM is to smooth out the idle and help drivability. Raising the idle results in more manifold vacuum. After doing a cam you lose a decent amount of vacuum. For cams in the 210-230 duration range 50-100 rpm over stock works well, 230-240 range 75-150 rpm over stock will work well. Too high of RPM settings may max out your IAC motor on cold start, to stay out of that range, keep the cold start idle so the IAC motor will not be close to 310 steps.

Idle airflow: Log the STIT and LTIT and add the 2 together. With a manual you will use LTIT in gear all the time, autos will use the respective LTIT depedning on the gear selector position. Add the 2 values together (or make a custom histogram) and make chagnes based on ECT. Say 30*C STIT is -0.30 g/sec and LTIT is 0.10 g/sec, you want to subract 0.20 g/sec from the 30*C cell in the idle airflow table. It is important to make these changes only from a cold start as they will give the most accurate data. Make sure it is logging and you make corrections in metric as it adds better resolution. For starters, adding 2 g/sec to the table before initial start up after a cam can help idle.

VE table for cam: Since a cam is less efficent at idle (for the majority of the aftermarket cam world) the VE table will need to be scaled down in the inital tune to keep some fueling out. Small cams may only need 10% taken out while larger cams can have upwards of 40% taken out of the VE table. This is largely dependent on your cam.

Timing: This depends largely on the cam type. Cams in the 220 duration range can run well on 22-26* of timing, 230 range tend to run well 26-30* range and above that is trial and error as some cams may like 32* while others like 24*. See which helps your car idle the smoothest. I would recommend ADDING to the stock table and not altering the stock curve.

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control and the idle air is in a reasonable range (0.10-0.20 g/sec) you may need to slightly reduce the throttle cracker table. That table adds airflow while you are cruising and too much will keep the rpms from reducing.

LTFT (VE) TUNING

1: Unplug MAF only if the MAF does NOT contain the IAT. If it does leave it plugged in.
    2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES! Copy your high octane table to your low octane table since in SD the low octane table is used.
    3: Start up your scanner. Start up your histogram. Now, click File then connect. Go to tools then VCM Controls. Reset Fuel Trims.
    4: Drive around for a good 30 minutes after the car is hot trying to hit as many cells as possible and multiple times. It is good practice to set the minimum cell count to at least 25 for more accurate data. The best way to do this is with a wideband o2 but can be done with fuel trims. Doing it with fuel trims can be inaccurate as once PE mode is in effect readings will become off. Setting the PE enable to 75 kPa doing the fuel trim approach will help get more accurate data, above 75 kPa will not be accurate much at all, the wideband is the best method.
    5a: Fuel trim approach: Let's say at .800, .28 which is equivalent to 800 RPM's you have 4 which is equal to +4. For ALL YOUR TRIMS you want between 0 and -4, so what I do is do whatever it takes to get to zero. Easy rule of thumb here if you want number smaller, add you want number bigger subtract. So, we want to bring that DOWN to 0 so ADD 4 to .800, .28. Let's say 2.0, .20 is -10, SUBTRACT 10 from 2.0, .20 to bring it UP to 0. This will not work out exactly but will get your PRETTY CLOSE. Do this for all values until everything is between -3 and -5, this will ensure when you go WOT that you will not carry over false positive fuel trims and effect WOT fueling.
    5b: wideband approach: log your AFR error, right click on the VE table in the upper left corner, then go to paste special then multiply by %, that was easy wasnt it?
    6: Repeat steps 3-5 until ALL values are between 0 and -4. Try and do this all in same day for best results.

ELIMINATING KNOCK RETARD:
    Knock retard can come from too much timing, not enough fuel, or way too much fuel. Using a wideband to set up the PE tables accurately to your desired settings can help narrow this to one of the 3 if it is not false knock you are seeing.

A4 TRANSMISSION SETTINGS:
    1: Well, you should have already disabled torque management.
    2: Start at Edit>Engine>A4 Shift Speed. Look under WOT Shift Enable %TPS: Set it at whatever you like. I set down to 90% because when I floor it I want power quick. Your talkin ga few milliseconds to go from 90 to stock 95% right, LOL.
    3: Disable %TPS Set this to about 10 lower from your Enable.
    4: Look at WOT Shift RPM vs. Shift. For my STOCK camaro I set to 6000 rpm, cuz if you look at my dyno, it is dropping after 6000rpm so I figured just have it change at 6k. After 6krpm it will take a few hundred more anyways to shift.
    5: WOT Shift Speed vs. Shift--In an A4 here is a formula I pulled off ls1tech.com make sure to thank 99ssleeper over there. He posted this:
    MPH =
    (RPM x Loaded Radius of the real wheel) divided by
    (Tranny Gear Ratio x Final Gear Ratio x 168.06

If you have stock wheels and tires, the Loaded Radius is approximately 13.125"...otherwise just measure from the ground to the center of the wheel.

A4 Trans Ratios are
    1st..3.06
    2nd..1.62
    3rd..1.0
    4th.. .8

Fianl Gear ratios are 2.73s or the optional 3.23s (RPO GU5 I think...??).
    6: Shift Speed vs. %TPS vs. Shift. LEAVE AT STOCK

7: MOVE TO SHIFT PROPERTIES TAB
    8: Look at Desired Shift Time. Click on Normal FORGET about performance if you are driving a camaro. There is no performance in a camaro, LOL. I basically guessed here, and could use some input here. For the first half of
    the torque band, I set shift time to .500 so you get nice soft, smooth shifts. Starting about midway, I decreased to .250 and for last 1/4 I changed to .100. I heard you do not want to go below .100 or else you will run into some kind of gear crossing? Please feel free to fill in here.
    9: Shift Pressure-Ok this is kind of weird and don't understand it, but what I PERSONALLY did was again take half of chart and to the left. Take this and set to a LOW # like 10. I have a shift kit in my car, and setting first half gives me nice smooth shifts. You would never know I had a shift kit or torque converter in my car. I then took middle and started beefing up shifts in increments of 10 then increments of 15. By far right of table I have shift pressure up to 90. Now, when you drive my car at 0-1/4 throttle it is SMOOTH. 1/2 throttle, you can feel a nice crisp shift. WOT it chirps tires from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. NICE and hard.
    10: Upshift/Downshift pressure I don't understand. If you do, teach me and I'll update.
    11: If you have a shift kit, leave max line pressure at 90. If not you can prob. up to 100.
    12: Below, courteousy of Blue_Falcon

If you don't want your torque converter to lockup in x gear, just go under TCC apply in x gear and change all of the values to 256.
    13: Transmission tuning DONE.

TURNING OFF REAR O2 SENSORS:
    Thank you Keith, HP TUNERS

You'll want to go through the DTC list and find all sensors of both bank 1 and bank 1 that are labeled as Sensor 2.. Sensor 2 indicated the rear sensor (on V8 applications).

You will want to leave the DTC On/Off flag as it is, but will want to set the error mode to "No Error Reported".

CHANGE TUNE FROM AUTO TO MANUAL OR VICE VERSA:

1) Get tune from Bin file repository or somewhere. Copy out of someone with same year car as you if you like.
    2) Upload file just as though you would any other file.
    3) Enjoy you now have a M6/A4 program.

Now is time to optimize safety and fuel economy. I'm gathering together some ideas, so if you have some please post here, or email me or instant message me thanks.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

Re: Programming for dummies

Moderators, you may want to look at this and sticky it. I will be adding to it, unless you guys think I am retarded and don't want me to add any more, LOL.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner in Training

Mike,

Have you looked at jimmyblue's tranny file yet? I have found it a very useful guide for tweaking my tranny settings. I think you want the abuse mode speed set to 255 so you never hit it. For performance I set all my shift times to .1. And my Shift Speed vs TPS vs Shift was all screwd up (it would shift into 3 gear at 10mph) so his settings helped me know I was on the right track there too.

Hope that file I set you helps.

Mark
    (aka WAHUSKER on the other site)
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 A4
    6.6L w/D-1SC
    618 rwhp, 761 rwtq
    10.42 @ 131.4, 1.46 60'
    Bonneville 100 GT2 Class Winner
    3rd Place Seattle Roadster Show Pro Touring Class

http://community.webshots.com/user/wahusker

Advanced Tuner

yes Mark, but I'm at work and trying to type this up. Don't have that file here at work. Don't worry about performance. Doesn't affect us. For your shift times, if you want hard firm shifts all the time .1 is great. But I want a nice riding car at part throttle which is why I start with .5
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Moderators, you may want to look at this and sticky it. I will be adding to it, unless you guys think I am retarded and don't want me to add any more, LOL.
    Michael, no you're not retarted. You are putting in a big effort out at trying to help everyone and it is greatly appreciated .
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner

This is the kind of stuff that should be in the help file, could we get some one to condense all the sitcky's into one post? This Great OZ thanks for all your effort!
    1999 Formula WS6&&ST. 2 GTP Heads, TR224/224, Moser 12bolt&&Full Suspension

Advanced Tuner

As I learn more guys I promise I will post. I'm getting PE nailed down now, but will post as I go along. Use my guidelines at your own risk, but seems to be a MUCH easier way of tuning. Is working so far so good.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Good work Oz,
    I personally don't see how you can find the time to do this, but I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated......
    Good work....

Mark

Advanced Tuner

I work for Brighthouse, and have like 1 call per hour, so it gives me plenty of time. I just read LOADS AND LOADS of message boards like you wouldn't beleive and ask LOTS of questions, and try and piece together answrs. This is how I do all my own work too and how I learned how to fix computers. I'm resourceful. Now if only I can make as much money as some of you, LOL. I'm only making 10.50/hr but that'll change once I own brighthouse bwahahah
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Like i said you've got heaps of time.....
    LOL. ;D

Advanced Tuner

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE. My MV guess was accurate I ran a 12.9 a/f ratio on dyno with my mv's reading 890. From my OWN TUNING I had a NICE SMOOTH hp/torque curve. I'm goign to call now and see if I can possibly get a copy of dyno graph for you guys. I forgot to get a copy had to run to work. Anyways on a Mustang Dyno with my high stall torque converter, I was able to squeeze out 334rwhp and 346rwtq. And there is still some work to be done to my tuning. This is a stock heads/cam car with just basic boltons. That's pretty stout if you ask me. I did some final smoothing on the dyno, and man hp/torque curves are SMOOOOTH. I'm VERY PLEASED. Just thought I would share the great news.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

334rwhp and 346rwtq is very stout on a mustang dyno, congrats , sounds like you have a strong running car. Looking good so far.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner

What is the benefit of running Speed density? I hear alot of people are deleting their MAFs and running SD. Is it worth it?
    1999 Formula WS6&&ST. 2 GTP Heads, TR224/224, Moser 12bolt&&Full Suspension

Advanced Tuner

Thank you scream.

99: Dunno what benefit SD But I also don't see a benefit to running with MAF connected. Runs fine without it.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

thanks for the little writeup
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner

WOW foff didn't even think of that. So at lower rpm up to max torque you want to go rich. Then the higher rpm up to max you want lean, and final bit of rpm to stay safe you want alittle rich again. DUDE YOU ROCK. I'll get some more torque outta her yet.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by ozorowsky
    WOW foff didn't even think of that. So at lower rpm up to max torque you want to go rich. Then the higher rpm up to max you want lean, and final bit of rpm to stay safe you want alittle rich again. DUDE YOU ROCK. I'll get some more torque outta her yet.
    lol did i miss something? ???
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner

yeah I was going lean from like 3200 up to 6krpm which I now realize is WRONG. You want rich up to max torque according to dyno then lean up to max rpm. Makes perfect sense.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner in Training

Nice write up Oz! This helps out tremendously!
    2000 SS, M6, Pacesetters, TSP True Duals, LS6 Intake, FMS F12 112 LSA

Great info Oz! I went through and made a few changes. Check it out:

1. DISABLE ALL TORQUE MANAGEMENT – This will eliminate all torque management within the PCM. Ignore this step if a standard transmission (M6) and continue to step 2.
    A. Open the VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>Torque Management
    B. Set Abuse Mode Enable = False
    C. Set Abuse Mode RPM, Abuse Mode TPS and Abuse Mode Speed = 0
    D. Select>Abuse Mode Torque Reduction vs. RPM. Set all values = 0

2. LTFT TUNING –
    A. In the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine Diagnostics>General>MAF Sensor Fail Frequency = 0. This will set a P0103 code and turn on the SES light. Don’t worry about the light at this time.
    B. In the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving. Copy the High Octane table to the Low Octane table. The computer reverts to the low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this will assure optimal timing.
    C. Start the VCM scanner>Histogram display. File>Connect then Tools>VCM Controls>Fuel & Spark>Fuel Trim Learn>Reset Fuel Trims.
    D. Changes to the LTFT’s do not take effect immediately – the PCM requires at least 50 minutes or roughly 100 miles to allow for the PCM to relearn it's fuel curve. Try not to enter PE mode while driving and logging for this procedure. Stop logging and save the log. Do NOT turn off the engine until the log is saved or it will be lost. Go to VCM Scanner>Histogram display>LTFT's. Open the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE and select Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP.
    E. The goal is to get ALL LTFT’s between 0 and -4. Positive LTFT's indicate fuel is being added because of a lean condition. Richen this cell by increasing the VE table value by the amount of the LTFT value. The operation is opposite for negative LTFT's.
    If LTFT = (4), VE cell value is 67, result would be (67)+(4)=71 - increasing the VE, which is adding fuel. If the LTFT was (-4), the result would be (67)+(-4)=63, decreasing VE and thus reducing fuel. To decrease LTFT values, a smaller number or number closer to zero, ADD the difference between the positive LTFT value and zero to the corresponding cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE>Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP table. To increase a LTFT value, a larger number or number farther away from zero, SUBTRACT the difference between the LTFT value and zero and SUBTRACT from the corresponding cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE>Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP table. For example, In the VCM Scanner>Histogram display, the (.8, 40) cell, 800 RPM's and 40 kPa, is 4. To bring the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>LTFT cell (.8, 4.0) DOWN to 0 from 4 ADD 4 to the (.8, 4.0) cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE>Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP table. If the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>LTFT cell (2.0, 30) is -10, SUBTRACT 10 from the (2000, 30) cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE>Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP table to bring it UP to 0. This will not work out exactly but will be VERY CLOSE.
    F. Repeat steps D-F until ALL values in the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>LTFT are between 0 and -4. Try to complete this on the same day for best results as LTFT values can vary +-4% per day.
    G. Once all values are between 0 and -4, look at the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE>Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP>3D Surface graph. If the 3D Surface graph looks choppy, click on polynomial smoothing ONCE. This will smooth out the table values and provide a more crisp throttle response. Now rescan, and do step E.

3. WOT PE TUNING – Do this only AFTER all LTFT's are BELOW 0. This method uses the stock narrow band oxygen sensors which are not that accurate for this area of tuning.
    A. Open the VCM scanner, do not worry about resetting the fuel trims they should be learned at this point. If not, it takes roughly 100+ miles or 50+ minutes of driving to set the LTFT's.
    B. Open the VCM Scanner>Histogram display and do a nice 0-70 or preferable 0-100mph run. Look at knock retard FIRST. If knock retard is present, skip to next section then come back here. If no knock retard is present, continue to the next step.
    C. Again, if NO knock retard is present look in the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>Air/Fuel tab at the 100(kPa) row. It is best to log AFR with a wide band sensor to correlate the stock narrow band oxygen sensors mv’s to actual AFR. Most cars seem to like narrow band oxygen sensor reading between 890mv - 900mv.
    D. For example, at 100(kPa), 3200(RPM) the narrow band oxygen sensors are at 950mv. We want to bring that down to 890mv. I do not yet know exact equation, but go to the VCM Editor Engine>Fuel>Power Enrich, PE Enrichment>V8 Mult vs. RPM. Make sure Plus and Selected are bubbled in. In this case the narrow band oxygen sensor is reading rich, so bring it down by SUBTRACTING .01. NOTICE THE DECIMAL!!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!! If lean, BELOW 890mv then ADD .01 at a time. This is a small increment but we do not want to hurt the motor.
    E. After making the changes, go back to step B and repeat until the oxygen sensors are in the appropriate range.

4. ELIMINATING KNOCK RETARD -
    A. In the VCM Scanner>Histogram display>Retard, look for ANY knock retard. For example, cell (4.0, .20) shows 4 degrees of knock retard. This should be 0, so SUBTRACT 4 from the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving>High Octane (4000, .20) cell. Values cannot be less than zero in this table.
    B. In the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving>High Octane, go to the (4000, .20) cell AND/OR whatever other cells that have knock retard and SUBTRACT the amount of knock retard that is present in the Histogram display from the value that is in the corresponding cell in the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle/Moving>High Octane table. Subtract by simply clicking on the Plus selection and in the box type -4 or whatever number you have to subtract by and click commit.
    C. Run a new scan and verify NO knock retard is present. If still present, repeat from step A.

5. A4 TRANSMISSION SETTINGS -
    A. Ensure all Torque Management is disabled. If not, see Section 1.
    B. Open the VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>A4 Shift Speed. Set WOT Shift Enable %TPS = 90.
    C. Set WOT Shift Disable %TPS = WOT Shift Enable %TPS-10 or 80 if you used the parameter in step B.
    D. Look at VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>WOT Shift RPM vs. Shift. Set these table parameters to the desired WOT shift RPM for each gear. Keep in mind there is a slight delay at the shift point that will cause the engine to exceed these RPM settings. Ensure the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Fuel Control>Fuel Cutoff, DFCO>RPM Limits>P/N Cutoff RPM is roughly 500 RPM higher than these settings. We don’t want to hit the rev limiter during the WOT shift. Set Normal, Performance, and Hot tables to the same parameters.
    E. VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>WOT Shift Speed vs. Shift--PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH A GOOD LINK FOR THIS. I KNOW THERE ARE TABLES/CALCULATORS PER GEAR OUT THERE.
    F. VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>Shift Speed vs. %TPS vs. Shift = Leave stock parameters.
    G. Go to VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>A4 Shift Properties>Desired Shift Time vs. Torque>Normal. I basically guessed here, and could use some input. For the first half of
    the torque band, I set shift time to .500 so you get nice soft, smooth shifts. Starting about midway, I decreased to .250 and for last 1/4 I changed to .100. I heard you do not want to go below .100 or else you will run into some kind of gear crossing? Please feel free to fill in here.
    H. Go to VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>Base Shift Pressure vs. Torque vs. Gear. Okay this is kind of weird and I don't understand it, but what I PERSONALLY did was again take half of the chart and to the left. Take this and set to a LOW # like 10. I have a shift kit in my car, and setting first half gives me nice smooth shifts. You would never know I had a shift kit or torque converter in my car. I then took the middle and started beefing up shifts in increments of 10 then increments of 15. By far right of table I have shift pressure up to 96. Now, when you drive my car at 0-1/4 throttle it is SMOOTH. 1/2 throttle, you can feel a nice crisp shift. WOT it chirps tires from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts nice and hard.
    I. Upshift/Downshift pressure modifiers - I don't understand. If you do, teach me and I'll update.
    J. If you have a shift kit, leave max line pressure at 90. If not you can probably set to 100.

Edit: Updated VE tuning operation
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist