Thread: Heads/cam in what to tune?

Advanced Tuner

Heads/cam in what to tune?

Comp Cams 230/234 591/598 on a 114lsa
    Felber Racing Ported 67cc 2.02/1.57 heads

I know I tune Idle, bring my rev limiter up, retune my ltft's, and my a/f and spark. Anything else I'm missing?

Would you care to tell me how to tune my idle? I can do all the rest but that idle stuff is kicking my a$$
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

Re: Heads/cam in what to tune?

I FIGURED IT OUT everyone. I will on Monday be putting the results which are EASY and WORK in the tuning for dummies post I made in getting started section. You guys won't believe how EASY idle tuning really is. I cannot make my car stall now if I want to. (Well maybe if I REALLY wanted to)
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Ozo,

You da man and you are figuring this stuff out quick. I look forward to seeing your write up. How do you like your new combination. What is the lope like? How streetable is it? I can't remember what type of car you have.

Jim K.
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Advanced Tuner

corps: Car is going GOOD. You can only hear the lope when I have cutout open. Car is VERY streetable. I have a camaro SS.

I am going to do the write up now real quick so if you guys want to read it, just look at the idle tuning section on my programming for dummies. Enjoy.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Thank god for this, I really need some help with my idle tuning
    Victor&&99 T/A WS6 &&TEA 5.3 heads, 224, .581 112, Mac Mids, ORY, SLP Loudmouth, SLP Flowpac, ASP pulley, BMR PHB, LCA\'s w/relos., SFC\'s, Vig 3600 w/ 4L65E,deep pan, B&M transpak, Hayden trans cooler

Advanced Tuner

blue: How did the post help you out? DId you find it?
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Ozo,

I think he is refering to the fact that you will be posting something that will be helping him in the near future. Okay, crawling back in my hole.

Jim K.
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Tuner

actually I thought you were going to be doing something different than what you posted, I had found that info before and it hasn't helped me too much, my car still surges at idle faily bad at times. I also don't have a MAF sensor though because its broke (not the sensor, somewhere else) so the car is dumping in a lot of extra fuel. Won't be able to work on it for a while though because my converter just blew out
    Victor&&99 T/A WS6 &&TEA 5.3 heads, 224, .581 112, Mac Mids, ORY, SLP Loudmouth, SLP Flowpac, ASP pulley, BMR PHB, LCA\'s w/relos., SFC\'s, Vig 3600 w/ 4L65E,deep pan, B&M transpak, Hayden trans cooler

Advanced Tuner

blue: Take my advice, and reread my idle tuning. I GUARANTEE you haven't read that before. It is modified from the post I got it from. Works like a CHARM. basically what's different is you keep adding air until car will idle correctly.

I found this out from chris here at hp tuners.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Finally got the MAF fixed so as soon as I get the tranny back in early next week I'm going to start from scratch, but there is definitely way too much fuel at the current time.

I burnt 1/2 a tank of gas in 100 miles

Tuner in Training

ozo, any news on that writeup? Because Im confused as hell on how to tune my 228/232 112lsa cam at idle. Not idle in the sense where its got issues, but really hot start issues. Where when I start the car say after I stopped by 7-11 to get a nice cold one and jump back in the car, I have to fight the throttle to make sure it doesnt drop before 400 because otherwise the car just shuts off. If I hold it around 1000 for about 15secs then it idles fine on its own. Its just hotstart where the car doesnt hold idle.

Someone told me to play with the IAC, but hell if I know what to change. This HPtuners software is so hardcore there are too many tables.

Dixit
    2002 Z06 AFR205cc, Crane 228/232 .600" 112LSA Cam, MAMO-fied FAST intake, MAMO-fied LS2 90mm TB, Kooks LT 1.75" Headers, Magnaflow Xpipe to Straight Pipes, Blackwing Intake. And then about $5k in audio/video

Advanced Tuner

Dixit, go to getting started section and look at stickie at top programming for dummies. Read CAREFULLY and follow step by step. Works GREAT for me. I had to read it 2 or 3 times myself, and modified SLIGHTLY and works EASY. Like a charm. I still have a "few" choppy issues, and I still don't fully understand how you know when you haev too much air at idle goign through, but I'll update as I learn. Feel free to check it out. Enjoy.
    2001 Camaro SS A4