Thread: Wide Band Bung Location

Tuner

Wide Band Bung Location

05 LS2 GTO 6sp mostly stock so far.
    I have new set of Kooks headers I was thinking of adding Bung for wide band O2 before I install them. There is one in each Header should second one be in line with first one they face inward toward trany. Or should I go like ¼ turn and put Bung in another tube? I was thinking too close to primary may be a problem and might want Wide band facing outward. Any advice would help this is my first project with HPT

Senior Tuner
    I would place it as close to the header collector as possible. It is recommended that you place the bung at 10 degree incline, where the element (part of the sensor sticking into the exhaust) is the lowest point. This helps keep any condensation from being trapped in the sensor, possibly causing a failure.

Senior Tuner
    Too close in can interfere with heater control
    at high EGTs.

Since mine is only used for tuning episodes I have
    one welded in the I, facing outward so I can install
    / remove easily and lined up with the trailing edge
    of the passenger's door (cable comes in there and
    gets held by the weatherstripping, when in use).
    The LM-1 has only so much cable.

Tuner
    Thank you think that all makes sense.

I just install my wideband in place of either front O2 sensor. The car will now stay in open loop, and no extra welding on those nice new headers!

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    I put mine in the X-pipe just after the header collector.
    03 LS-1 Vette, LGM Longtubes, BillyBoat Bullets, Halltech Stinger, Shaner ported & polished TB, LC-1 WB, Elite E2 Plate, BPP Shifter, DTE 4:10

Tuner
    Here is some pics where I put mine at. It's the bung closet to the collector flange. It works good, but I am having a problem after about 30 minutes of driving the o2 sensor getting too hot and going whacky (sensor timing error-8) on the LC-1. Also, it makes it a PITA to get to those top inside header bolts on the flange. I think the best way for me would have to do away with the CATS, and installed it where the CATS are now. But with the CATS, there wasn't a whole lot of options for my set-up.
    You just want to make sure that they are inclined at an angle between 10 o clock and 2 o'clock looking from the end as you see in the pic. This will keep condensation out of the O2 sensor.

Tuner
    if you have cats...is it best to put the sensor before or after the cats? On the gto, the cats are pretty close to the head.

Tuner
    Before the cats.
    03 LS-1 Vette, LGM Longtubes, BillyBoat Bullets, Halltech Stinger, Shaner ported & polished TB, LC-1 WB, Elite E2 Plate, BPP Shifter, DTE 4:10

Tuner
    does it effect the readings by putting it after cats? If so, how much?

Don't install the WB behind the cats. Just install the WB in place of the easiest
    to get at front O2 sensor. There is no exact AFR diff. number from behind to in front of the cats.

Russ Kemp

on the JBA catless midpipes, is it alright to use the rear 02 bung for the wb?
    will it read accurately?
    they are not that far back from the front 02 bungs in these catless midpipes.
    thanks.
    04GTO IBM/blue/M12/3.46
    show-MPD Scorpio hood,cutout/quadtips,06-tails/doorlock button,JHP gauges,Monaro ftrest/Sport wheel,Pioneer Avic,rt530,Grafxwerks, stgg'd 18" Thruxtons
    go-forged ls2 447, MAST 295 70cc, 11.68:1scr, ported FAST102/NW102, jegten cam/tune,Lunati,160 tstat,Cloyes, Decca 60#, Kooks SS/catless,JBA cb,Taylor bluewires,OTRCAI,NGK TR6,GMM R/S/TSS-oemknob,Brembos/BaerSS lines, blue AMW cc,SLP-skid plate/udp, Monster3,IngallsETD,Lovells,Hotchkis,RevShift,HPTu ners/PLX.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jegten
    on the JBA catless midpipes, is it alright to use the rear 02 bung for the wb?
    will it read accurately?
    they are not that far back from the front 02 bungs in these catless midpipes.
    thanks.
    Yes, when you are on a dyno they hook the WB in the tail pipe if you don't have cats & it reads fine.