Thread: Crank Position Sensor Woes

Crank Position Sensor Woes

Ok, so i'm trying to figure out whether or not my CKP sensor is bad, or just needs a relearn.

So, i log the Camshaft sensor data (showing good data) and the crankshaft sensor. And what was displayed made me wonder if this was bad.

Basically in a nutshell, the data would cycle like so. 439.439.0..439..0.. etc...
    Throughout the entire RPM range, the sensor data would give me intermittent, and seemingly random zeros as its output data. I've been having a helluva time getting my LQ9 to produce enough power for me truck to even move faster than 15mph. And im running out of places to look.

Oh and i do have DTC P0336, and have tried a Case Relearn several times. But it still runs like crap and refuses to accept the relearn.
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

Just checked my ALLDATA for P0336, and there is 3 pages of tests. The crank sensor is in the block behind the starter. Was the starter replaced and the crank sensor plug damaged? With out testing the circuit, changing the sensor would be your best bet. And do the crank variation relearn after changing it.

Russ Kemp

I guess you could say the sensor was replaced... The whole engine was replaced

And yea i think im gonna swap back the sensor out of my LQ4 on it tomorrow morning and inspect the wiring closely.
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

TTT...

Anyone know exactly what format the data presented by the Crank Sensor actually is?

I'm guessing its a hall-effect sensor. But that still doesnt help me interpret the data shown to my by HPT.

*Using the PID -> Engine Diagnostics -> 'Crank Sensor Current Cyl'

I figure seeing zeros in this data stream is bad, but i would like confirmation on it.
    2003 GMC Denali XL