Thread: Ghost cam tune....

Senior Tuner

Ghost cam tune....

Never would I think Id ever say this but about to try to do something like this, but for the right reasons - a prank to mess with someone. As in someone walks inside and 10 minutes later comes back out and car sounds like it has a cam in it

How are you guys doing this, idle rpm control retard values etc, how aggressive are you getting with this, any other ways that keep from affecting driveabilty?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Advanced Tuner
    I did this just to mess with it to learn how the Gen4 idle controls work. I ran it for a few days for the heck of it:

Results: https://youtu.be/Fe6-vtwROVU

My approach:

1) Raise idle (I went with +150 to get to 750 across the base and start-up tables)
    2) Drop the enable error to about half for both proportional and integral (I used 25 rpm and 5 rpm) to get it to engage the control quicker / initiate the swing
    3) Proportional Airflow: Multiply the "normal" row by 1.05
    4) Integral Airflow: Multiply the "normal" row by 1.20
    5) Idle Adaptive Spark Control: Increase the spark adder in all 6 tables up to where it goes constant. If the magnitude of the constant value is 24 in my case, I took half of that and put it in the first non-zero cell, then interpolated from there up to where it goes constant. In other words, the stock table might have been 0 2 4 6 8 .... 24 24 24 24 , and I made it: 0 12 13 14 15 .... 24 24 24 24 24. Do that in all six tables. If you don't want it to engage until you are sitting still, don't touch the "drive" row in the coastdown table. If you do want it to engage a little before you come to a complete stop/idle, do it to the "drive" row in coastdown as well (more authentic)
    6) Engine Diag Misfire: You might want/need to raise the Cylinder mode misfire time counts under 1000 rpm if you get misfire detection because you made it too choppy.

You can play with the values to get it to be more or less "cammy." But basically, the strategy is to get it to engage adaptive idle sooner, and then increase spark correction to get it to swing hard the other direction, overshoot, then swing back. Basically, you turn the controller into a really bad controller. LOL. The only thing bad I can see about it is that you don't want to let the actual spark go too far in the negative direction. I found that mine was swinging fairly negative in commanded advance on the down swing. I wasn't concerned since I was just playing around for a day or two, but if I was going to leave the tune in there, I would have made it less aggressive.

Have fun!

no..... just no....
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-02-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

Advanced Tuner
    Personally, I agree. But, if you use it as a learning tool it's not a bad way to play with the controller to figure out how it works in addition to BigMike's idle guide. Plus, it was fun to mess with co-workers for a day or two...

Potential Tuner
    can I have your ghost cam hpt file?
    I just modify Idle speed immediate prop. but idle speed is increased slowly and decreased.
    I would likento know which parameters to be modified more.